• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Panaflo diffrence

i use thermaltake fans myself
i had a 90mm tornado on my xp90 then i took it off because it was so loud, put a normal thermaltake 90mm on it and i get the same temps
 
Are they worth the dough? Yes. How much dough depends on which Panaflo you're talking about.

Btw, your link is dead.
 
You can't always look at CFM or DBA...pressure is in important aspect too. The panaflo fans have a high pressure gradient...higher than most fans models.

This helps a lot when you are using the fans to pull or push through an area of high restriction (such as a heater core).

If you are just using the fans for a PC case, however, it doesn't matter as much, as these are not as restrictive.
 
Why 6 80mm fans? What case are you putting these in? I had an old modded Antec w/ 2 80mm, and 1 120mm running full blast and my new case only has 2 120mm fans and it seems to cool just as good.
 
ClearH2O said:
Why 6 80mm fans? What case are you putting these in? I had an old modded Antec w/ 2 80mm, and 1 120mm running full blast and my new case only has 2 120mm fans and it seems to cool just as good.
Well I am uising these in a crappy $30 case until I get a lian li with watercooling. My computer will work like this, so not 6 fans, but I was saying that for price coparison.

30614175212.jpg
 
InternationalHat said:
You want 3 intakes and 2 exhausts, positive pressure in the case man. It helps keep dust out.
So where should I put an intake? Should I change the bottom fan on the rear to intake?
 
Intake: Blowhole, Window, Front
Exhaust: Rear 2

Or you could have Front intake, top exhaust, and rear exhaust.
 
I would think you would want as many intakes as exhausts. Make the blowhole an exhaust because hot air rises, and put another intake in the front bottom. As for the side intake, i would get rid of it, it disrupts the flow going straight through the case.
Thats just what i've got to say about it.

*EDIT*
You'll probably want a fan controller too.
 
linger said:
I would think you would want as many intakes as exhausts. Make the blowhole an exhaust because hot air rises, and put another intake in the front bottom. As for the side intake, i would get rid of it, it disrupts the flow going straight through the case.
Thats just what i've got to say about it.

*EDIT*
You'll probably want a fan controller too.
Okay well the fan is on the side window, so I should just not put one there and have a front intake and find a place for 2 other intakes, then blowhole and 2 rear exausts?
 
Did the case come with these holes or are you using a hole saw to cut them? I seriously recomend going with 120mm fans, much better airflow/noise ratio than 80mm fans.
 
Case came with window hole, I drilled the Intake and the blowhole and 2 rear exausts. The case wont permit the size of a 120mm on the front, top or back, so 80mm is the only way.
 
Oh, i was under the impression that you were cutting all the wholes yourself. As for the window side all i've heard is that a fan on the side would disrupt the flow of cold air coming into the case. If you put two intakes in the front and two in the back you could get a stream of cold air over the cpu and the main parts. The "blowhole" could probably be run a 7v since its just there to pump out all the excess hot air that his rissen to the top of the case. I just bought some 120 medium speed panaflows and i have to say they are the quitest fans, compared to how much air they push, that i've ever had. Seeing as how you are just cooling your case, i would say cheaper fans with a decent fan controller are the way to go. I have a coolermaster pratorian with stock fans, and when the voltage is turned down they still push a good amount of air for their sound.
 
Yeah thats a great idea, but there is no room for another front intake....I'll try to think up something tonight. So I should have two intakes, then two rear exausts, then a blow hole running low speed. What fans do you reccomend that are very quiet, but push enough air to do there job?
 
If your not able to set up another intake in the front, then i would think that putting a fan in the window would be fine. This contradicts what i said earlier, but my reasoning is that if you only have one fan in the front there is going to be too much flow (or air being pumped in) anyways. So some cold air pushed right over the cpu would probably help. Something to keep in mind is that using a window fan will cause the stream of air coming from the front intake to get pushed around, and some of the hot air from components, such as the video, will not make it directly to the rear exhausts. Instead the hot air will circulate around in the case, increasing the case temperature. The thing to realize is that the temperature wont be super hot, its just i was to provide you with what i thought to be the best possible solution.

Also the coolermaster fans look similar to the stock fans i have in my coolermaster case, which seem to do a fairly good job. Once again i would suggest using a fan controller, such as the nexus (i have one in my watercooling, good, but only goes from 7v-12v, which could be a good thing...) or this sunbeam (I also have this one. Its very nice, goes from 0v-12v )

Anyways, this is just my advice, you should still look around and make your own decision.
 
Hey guys, I expanded the intake to 120mm. I didn't think there was room, but there was! Now, I might also be able to put one in the 5.25 drive, but I don't think that will work to well.
 
120mm fan would make a world of difference, it can push more air while being quieter, that is if you get the right fan.
 
Benton The Race said:
Hey guys, I expanded the intake to 120mm. I didn't think there was room, but there was! Now, I might also be able to put one in the 5.25 drive, but I don't think that will work to well.

I think you have more then enough airflow for now...

We were all once fan happy at one point, but really, you shouldn't need more then 3-4 including the PSU fan.
 
Benton The Race said:
Okay guys, I have a simple panaflo question. Why are these so expesive, and are they worth the dough? I could either buy 6 panaflo fans for a whopping $60, or get 6 cooler masters, with similar specs(3dba louder, pushes more air).

Here are the Coolermasters I mentioned:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999073
Worth the dough?

NO!

I bought 2 120mm Panaflo (hi models) and they have a very poor noise/performance ratio. Even at 4 volts they make an annoying rumble.

They're expensive because they have ball bearings in them so as to reduce noise at high rpm's. While this may be true, ironically it's the very thing that adds ALOT of annoying noise are lower speeds.

My panaflo 120mm's are sitting in my drawer utterly unused. Easily the worst £30 I've spent on fans no question.


People seem to assume they're quiet because they're well built and expensive, but in reality, they're not quiet. From my experience you're better off with cheap bearingless fans and running them at 5 volts. Maybe the lower rpm models are better, but from my experience, just don't bother because it'll be a waste of money..
 
Which models did you get? I noticed that my Panaflo U1A's have a low rumble to them no matter what, but my M1A does not.

I am not so sure about the L1A or H1A as I have no owned them.

I think the higher end panaflos make more noise no matter what, and that the M1A is the best choice.

The thing you DO need to keep in mind, though, is the panaflos have a high pressure gradient so they are very good for pulling or pushing air through a restrictive area. If you get a fan that has a low pressure gradient from front to back and use it in a restrictive environment, what use is it if it only pulls 5 CFM, when a panaflo can do quadruple that?

But yeah, I do sympathize with you...the rumbling is rather annoying.
 
I'm looking for 2 120mm fans to replace my crappy stock ones. Panaflo seems to be the way to go for these especially since the front of my case is very restrictive.. it's got a door in front of it!

how do I know if i'm ordering a medium/high flowing. I'm not worried about the noise on these I have a fan controller they will be hooked up to.

now this 92mm vantec tornado has to go sometime though lol
 
Panaflo's have good centralized airflow, but they vibrate and whine like mad at high rpm's.
 
CyByte said:
how do I know if i'm ordering a medium/high flowing. I'm not worried about the noise on these I have a fan controller they will be hooked up to.

At the end of the product # you'll see a letter and a number, or just a letter - L, M, H, or U - which stands for low, medium, high, and ultra, respectively.

Make sense?

I have 5 H Panaflo 120s and they are wonderful when undervolted through some switches on the front of my case.

What fan speed mods do you guys use? I'm looking for 1 that i can simply hook up to my main CPU fan and tweak and experiment with...
 
Back
Top