The Ouya

im just going to run an hdmi from my phone with a bluetooth controller. (already got both). why spend more money on it?

im just going to run an hdmi from my phone with a bluetooth controller. (already got both). why spend more money on it?

All of this phone talk is somewhat beyond me; I don't even own a phone because I can text via my PC.
And some people don't own phones that are as capable as the Ouya.
Last phone I had was a straight talk phone that was a work horse until I dropped it in a lake.
Some people have no need for a high-tech phone.
I'd rather spend more money on other gadgets than a phone that I'll use strickly for texting + calling.

Release date is tomorrow. Not all backers have received their consoles. It'll be a poor showing if the retailers get stock before all preorders were filled.

I'm on day 13 without a reply from Ouya support on the status of my 7 month old order.

Release date is tomorrow. Not all backers have received their consoles. It'll be a poor showing if the retailers get stock before all preorders were filled.

I'm on day 13 without a reply from Ouya support on the status of my 7 month old order.

Yeah, support has been "quiet" to say it nicely. And the backers not getting their console way first makes me a bit sad. :(

Yeah, support has been "quiet" to say it nicely. And the backers not getting their console way first makes me a bit sad. :(

Amazon still has it listed as being available tomorrow with prime shipping. I'd say it's safe to assume they have them if they haven't adjusted the time by now.

At this point, I'm likely to cancel my preorder and just go the Amazon route for no tax and free shipping. I get it quicker and $11 cheaper. From what I've read elsewhere, some of the pre-orders/KS units going out are drop-shipping from China.

They handled the KS/Preorder wrong. It was suggested that the $99 price was only going to be available for Kickstarters and Pre-Orders. Now, the retail units will be $99? Preordered/KS units should have been $79 then. That or the preorders/KS units should have shipped way before retail.

Last edited:
0 out of 10 best buys have this in stock by me.

This is why I don't give money to kick starter. The business models are generally embarrassing.

GameStop shows 0. Target says online only. What a fricking joke.

0 out of 10 best buys have this in stock by me.

Mostly the same here:
only-two.png

Only two are showing stock, luckily the Forum is one of the nicest BB's in the area.

I'm still disappointed that it did not turn out well for many backers. I really wish they were able to secure funding without Kickstarting, however it would not have got the same reception if it just popped up. There's an emotional attachment to the OUYA because of it. Even with all of the trouble, I still love it and still see the potential.

The latest update last night even fixed two of my issues I posted about. One being the USB storage, I've moved all of my PSX games to a USB stick; which is nice. They also fixed the images in the game descriptions so you can zoom into any of them for a proper view. Instead of one big images surrounded by a bunch of thumbnails you cant click.

So they're constantly refining it, which is one of the reasons I'm still on board. I still don't like the first gen controller, and mostly use my PS3 controllers. Granted some games won't let me for some reason. Guessing that's a dev issue, similar to the dev issue on a few games with delayed inputs. I finally experienced that, it's not the OUYA's fault on that one, devs need to properly configure/optimize for that. Because almost all games work fine, of the 170'ish games, I've played about 40 of them, only two had some sort of issue you could label as "delay."

I'll give them until the end of the year to refine it more. Because if they don't, they're dead anyway with the next gen consoles coming out.

GameStop shows 0. Target says online only. What a fricking joke.

low-stock.png

Guessing this means they only have a few at our local stores (or none).

Did you guys really think that these companies were going to care about ouya, how are they going to sell games from ouya, the way you get into best buy is to pay them a bribe to have floor space.

I think Ouya made a mistake keeping tegra3, they should at least jump to tegra 4i.

I think Ouya made a mistake keeping tegra3, they should at least jump to tegra 4i.

I agree, thats probably why I'm going to wait for the next hardware refresh before buying one.
They also may considering selling a "remote" for it for people that want to use it as a media player.

Tegra 3 SoCs were like $30 on the Asian market when Ouya announced their specs. They had to stick with what was cheap and readily available so they can make money selling a $100 console.

OUYA Controller Final verdict: Pile of shit (at least the first gen, I don't know what they're doing now)

I've emailed them on it to see about scheduling a replacement. Right now I have my USB 360 controller in it and it runs flawless. I'm going to try my USB 360 wireless adapter later, maybe that'll work... I hate to eat up or share the 1 USB port, but I can live with it for now.

Here's a video to show how a Tegra optimized game runs. It's actually very nice for a shitty tablet game, the game it self is pretty lackluster. But keeps my hope going for this platform. It's just that damn controller that is killing me, I really hope they've revised it or are revising it.

http://youtu.be/UjWqVJgoQT0

All of this phone talk is somewhat beyond me; I don't even own a phone because I can text via my PC.
And some people don't own phones that are as capable as the Ouya.
Last phone I had was a straight talk phone that was a work horse until I dropped it in a lake.
Some people have no need for a high-tech phone.
I'd rather spend more money on other gadgets than a phone that I'll use strickly for texting + calling.

A smartphone can be used for far more than that. Same functions as a tablet pretty much.

I don't have to pay for a plan/contract for a tablet.

You're not required to pay a contract on a phone either. I've got several friends that picked up phones (usually used ones) just to give to their kids for games and stuff...

You're not required to pay a contract on a phone either. I've got several friends that picked up phones (usually used ones) just to give to their kids for games and stuff...

Huh, wasn't aware of that, pretty cool!
Like I said though, I'll stick to having plenty of other gadgets; The variety is nice

Huh, wasn't aware of that, pretty cool!
Like I said though, I'll stick to having plenty of other gadgets; The variety is nice

I've never had a time where I said "I have too many toys." I don't think I ever will. :)

Update on the 360 wireless controllers, they do in fact work if you have the wireless Xbox 360 USB adapter for PC.

Update on the 360 wireless controllers, they do in fact work if you have the wireless Xbox 360 USB adapter for PC.

Was pretty expected honestly, its good to hear its a for sure though

I've never had a time where I said "I have too many toys." I don't think I ever will. :)

Ain't that the truth!

As a side note: Watched your youtube video, all appears to run nicely on the Ouya atleast

As a side note: Watched your youtube video, all appears to run nicely on the Ouya atleast

Yeah I've got a few emulators up, but the shadowgun video shows off that the Tegra 3 is a viable platform for some gaming fun. Obviously it's not anywhere near as powerful as next gen, or even a Wii for that matter. But it should make for some good split screen fun action with friends. As well as a good emulator/media machine. Overall I think it kicks ass.

I really want to get my hands on a retail controller to see if it's a piece of shit like my backer controller is. I'm tempted to say that they've fixed the issues with it, however I haven't seen anybody properly review it. The early backer units just seem to be shit controllers from what I've seen though... I might stop by BB tomorrow and see if they have any controllers and buy one. It's a gamble, but worth a shot. If it's fixed I can post up a video letting people know since nobody else has yet. :)

Yeah I've got a few emulators up, but the shadowgun video shows off that the Tegra 3 is a viable platform for some gaming fun. Obviously it's not anywhere near as powerful as next gen, or even a Wii for that matter. But it should make for some good split screen fun action with friends. As well as a good emulator/media machine. Overall I think it kicks ass.

I really want to get my hands on a retail controller to see if it's a piece of shit like my backer controller is. I'm tempted to say that they've fixed the issues with it, however I haven't seen anybody properly review it. The early backer units just seem to be shit controllers from what I've seen though... I might stop by BB tomorrow and see if they have any controllers and buy one. It's a gamble, but worth a shot. If it's fixed I can post up a video letting people know since nobody else has yet. :)

Would love to see it, please post it in here if it all works out!
And yeah, the Tegra 3 is pretty sweet for what it is, can't wait to see what a Tegra 4 can push out.
Shadowgun reminds me of Gears of War for some reason...
And it looks like the Ouya is on par with the Wii. If I remember, the Wii was just an OC'd Gamecube with up'd graphics

Would love to see it, please post it in here if it all works out!
And yeah, the Tegra 3 is pretty sweet for what it is, can't wait to see what a Tegra 4 can push out.
Shadowgun reminds me of Gears of War for some reason...
And it looks like the Ouya is on par with the Wii. If I remember, the Wii was just an OC'd Gamecube with up'd graphics

I'll be sure to post my retail controller findings, I really want the OUYA to be a success. So the more I can help other people get the info they need; the better.

Tegra 4 and beyond on their annual refreshes will be a nice touch. Worth the small upgrade costs associated with it. They just need to get tools in place to make it easy to migrate your accounts/data from one OUYA to the other. Even if it's a USB stick, external drive or the cloud.

Definitely has a "gears of war-esque" feel to it and it's basically a 1080p Wii as far as graphics go. Which isn't great, but should be good for what it intends to offer. Retro-style games, go check out A bit of fist of awesome; it's fun.

the system got better with some of the updates but still i like the model of play games for free with ads better than playing games without ads but can only play a bit of it and have to buy.

the system got better with some of the updates but still i like the model of play games for free with ads better than playing games without ads but can only play a bit of it and have to buy.

I love that part, I've tested a few games that I thought might be good that were shit. I've also tested games that I thought would be shit and were good and bought them. And a few I just bought because I knew they were going to be good. lol

I think OUYA has a good place to fit in for the long run if they can continue to refine things.

I still get the feeling that Ouya will end up being a flash in a pan style device, where it makes a splash but doesn't have a lot of momentum.

Luckily such a device would be easily moded, and at the very least android games could be sideloaded, or the OS could be flashed with another Android based OS.

The retail controller doesn't have the same issues is the early backer unit. Go ape shit on retail and you'll be fine. :)

i got a kickstarter one mine is good...it still needs an official version of mame in the ouya store i hate sideloading cuz it comes on a different menu, it also needs dreamcast but that's a pipe dream, if optimized for tegra 3 it could do it.

Yeah I'd love to get my DC games on here as well.

I just picked up a 128GB USB flash drive for easy and convenient storage. Along with going back to BB to buy their last OUYA controller, so I now have two retail controllers.

I never understood the appeal of Ouya and now that I look at the list of games I fail to see any reason why I would want one. It just seems like something only a (useless) gadget freak would want.

It's got a number of exclusives that are a lot more addictive than anything I've played in a while. I've had 0 issues with heat or the controllers. At worst the system gets luke warm, it's on top of my tv stand in a well ventilated position. Towerfall is one of the most fun local multiplayer games I've seen in years, I know 7 other people that picked an Ouya up and all of them love it. At 100 dollars its cheap enough to be an impulse buy as well. Final Fantasy III, Rush Bros, Knightmare Tower, Vector, Fists of Awesome and Chronoblade are also solid titles. Soul Fjord looks pretty cool too and is due out soon.

From a graphical capability perspective we already know what Tegra 3 can do, but seeing Shadowgun at 1080p on my TV impressed me to a degree considering how small the Ouya is. It's a great complimentary system to the other consoles, and offers a ton of indie titles, 200 launch titles? (granted some of them aren't great) This will keep me entertained for a while to come.

Pretty convenient to have playable demos of every single game in it's library as well.

Last edited:
I think the appeal of ouya is that it is around the same price as streaming boxes like roku but it also games and has a controller.

That said anyone who has a computer hooked up probably has no use for it. Virtualize android and get the games from the play store.

I'm trying to buy one but it seems no retailers in Canada are carrying it. Bestbuy and EBGames in Canada don't carry it and Amazon is sold out.

I'm trying to buy one but it seems no retailers in Canada are carrying it. Bestbuy and EBGames in Canada don't carry it and Amazon is sold out.

I got one [never received my official preorder, maybe someday] from Amazon. Sold the Ouya controller [have 360 usb controllers] for $49. So I got an Android TV box for $50.

I can't believe people are paying $50 for the Ouya controller. It feels cheap.

I got one [never received my official preorder, maybe someday] from Amazon. Sold the Ouya controller [have 360 usb controllers] for $49. So I got an Android TV box for $50.

I can't believe people are paying $50 for the Ouya controller. It feels cheap.

Buying Ouya controllers for $50? This makes me happy....cuz the Ouya has not.

I loaded up the various emulators available. All of them had weird bindings for the ouya controller itself...plug in a X360 wired controller and also had weird bindings (not to mention both have terrible d-pads), N64 emulation is ~15fps and thats without any good image quality settings, another issue is having only 1 USB port, I can't have my (legally backed up ;) ) roms all in one place on a usb stick and still use my xbox controller. Do USB hubs work on the Ouya? I plugged in a logitech usb keyboard that had extra ports on it and neither the keyboard nor it's hubs worked. ( I don't own a solo usb hub otherwise because I'm not living in 2003 nor am I a macbook owner ).

And the Ouya specific games...nah.

Buying Ouya controllers for $50? This makes me happy....cuz the Ouya has not.

I wish they weren't more than $39.99~ they definitely need "some work" still. I wish all game devs would be smart and support PS3 and 360 controllers. OUYA should encourage their devs to do so, given that their controller isn't as good as those. I usually hate the PS3 controller, but boy is it precise.

I loaded up the various emulators available. All of them had weird bindings for the ouya controller itself...plug in a X360 wired controller and also had weird bindings (not to mention both have terrible d-pads),

You can rebind keys in most of emulators, SuperGNES you cant yet, however their button mapping is fine IMO. At any rate, those are all 3rd party dev problems. Most of these are ports from Android tablet/phone versions.

N64 emulation is ~15fps and thats without any good image quality settings, another issue is having only 1 USB port, I can't have my (legally backed up ;) ) roms all in one place on a usb stick and still use my xbox controller. Do USB hubs work on the Ouya?

Match your N64 settings to the ones in my video, I get a constant 30 fps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wpRkIujoKU&t=8m48s

Also you should be able to use a hub, I've seen it confirmed with a USB controller and and external storage. Though if that works it's fairly safe to say that more than one USB controller will work also.

I plugged in a logitech usb keyboard that had extra ports on it and neither the keyboard nor it's hubs worked. ( I don't own a solo usb hub otherwise because I'm not living in 2003 nor am I a macbook owner ).

BT keyboards should also work for simplicity.

And the Ouya specific games...nah.

Games I've enjoyed so far:
Syder Arcade
Ice Rage
Sky Arena
League of Evil
Tower Fall
Rush Bros
A Bit of a Fist of Awesome
Bomb Squad
XP1728

Not exactly all exclusives, but still fun on a TV with friends (the MP ones). :)

Back