The "other" VX2025 or: There is a glossy screen alternative...

Varmint said:
Well, I haven't figured out what settings to use to get good screen shots, guess I need a tripod cause the shutter speed is in the single digits.

Anyway, for what it's worth. The colors are off on the 2nd shot.

The screen's not super glossy like the Sonys, and I've never seen a 2007WFP in person, but I like it better than the 2407 Dell I've seen, there's a bit less of the screen door effect. Backlighting is minimal, the black screen is just black. Will try games later.
Vamint, thanks for the photos and the review.

I am seriously thinking about grabbing one of these. Do you find yourself having to make your computer room pitch black in order to eliminate glare?

Did you take the photo in the 2nd shot? If you did, nice!

DefBringer said:

I am seriously thinking about grabbing one of these. Do you find yourself having to make your computer room pitch black in order to eliminate glare?

No problem, I still need to get some more pics.

I always have a light on behind me, but it's at an angle. Actually I do notice reflections in games, but not in Windows, even on hardocp's black background. The Acer's glossy screen is relatively mild compared to most laptops.

The 2nd shot's from one of the camera review sites. :)

DefBringer said:

I have an Acer F-20 with the "crystalbrite" screen and it definitely is reflective...everyone notices that fact once they get past the whole "Ferrari monitor" thing.. but they also notice that the picture looks better than they expect from an lcd. Personally I like it and the way the lighting is arranged in my room it isn't a problem. If you have a brightly lit room with a lot of windows you might want to consider the anti-glare (what I call "fuzzy" :D ) screen monitors.

notice any input lag on the 2051w? Can u test it against a CRT or something? I have a 244T and the input lag is driving me crazy so im kind of leary now when it comes to VA panels. Do want something a slight smaller to use as a 2nd monitor though.

Ricey said:
notice any input lag on the 2051w? Can u test it against a CRT or something? I have a 244T and the input lag is driving me crazy so im kind of leary now when it comes to VA panels. Do want something a slight smaller to use as a 2nd monitor though.

Not sure what input lag looks like. My Acer has tearing when scrolling a page full of pics, and in gaming there's some tearing w/ vsync off, and it's too slow with vsync on, but that's cause my video card is too slow at 1680 x 1050.

Varmint said:
Not sure what input lag looks like. My Acer has tearing when scrolling a page full of pics, and in gaming there's some tearing w/ vsync off, and it's too slow with vsync on, but that's cause my video card is too slow at 1680 x 1050.
Must not be the same panel as the F-20...I don't have any of that. As far as gaming goes I have a 7900GT SLI so I can run near any game at native with downgraded AA/AF.

joemama said:
Must not be the same panel as the F-20...I don't have any of that. As far as gaming goes I have a 7900GT SLI so I can run near any game at native with downgraded AA/AF.

It's not the same panel, ignore the few people who still think it is.

Do you run vsync on or off?

Varmint said:
It's not the same panel, ignore the few people who still think it is.

Do you run vsync on or off?
Right now it's off...I had it on and it just seemed to limit my SLI too much and if there is "tearing" then I don't notice it. The only games I've played on this monitor are NFSMW and Flatout 2...racing games would show tearing if it was happening right?

joemama said:
Right now it's off...I had it on and it just seemed to limit my SLI too much and if there is "tearing" then I don't notice it. The only games I've played on this monitor are NFSMW and Flatout 2...racing games would show tearing if it was happening right?

The tearings pretty minor in games, it's more noticeable in browsing. My Acer has no drivers yet (your F-20 does), that could be the problem.

Varmint said:
The tearings pretty minor in games, it's more noticeable in browsing. My Acer has no drivers yet (your F-20 does), that could be the problem.
I wasn't aware of any drivers for the F-20...I'm using it plug and play. You might check to make sure Windows has yours as pnp instead of "default monitor"

joemama said:
I wasn't aware of any drivers for the F-20...I'm using it plug and play. You might check to make sure Windows has yours as pnp instead of "default monitor"

It's plug and play yeah. I searched Acer's site for drivers and found them for most monitors, including your F-20, but none for my 2051w. I don’t know if they make a difference.

I'd really like to get rid of the tearing while browsing.

Varmint, how do you know the F-20 isn't the same display as the 2501? They seem exactly the same...

DefBringer said:
Varmint, how do you know the F-20 isn't the same display as the 2501? They seem exactly the same...

I don't know for sure, but TFT Central says they're different, and i figure they would know.

Varmint said:
I don't know for sure, but TFT Central says they're different, and i figure they would know.
Acer's UK site is not so secretive about the panel technology and they have the F-20 as S-IPS and the 2051W as P-MVA. I guess the Acer site info would be just as good as tft central..

Varmint said:
I found the driver on the site but I can't open the file after downloading...I popped in the cd that came with the monitor but there doesn't appear to be any drivers on it. When I click "quick start guide" it brings me to a webpage for "qsgroup.co.uk" which sells clothing and housewares...W T F. The Acer site seems to be partially hosed again as well..

DefBringer said:
Well, according to TFTCentral this is a TN panel which is obviously not true.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php says "Acer AL2051Ws (widescreen) has a 20 inch 8 ms P-MVA panel" ---> just like the Viewsonic VX2025

TFT Central hasn't actually seen one probably. They have only a line worth of info on the 2051w. Acer originally listed it incorrectly as TN on their website and later changed it.

What I meant was they've reviewed the F-20, saying it's an S-IPS, while the 2051w is a P-MVA, so I don't think they're the same.

A couple more comments.

I don't see any red trail with this test. Ghosting is not a problem.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/ghosting2.html

There is some backlight bleed in the upper left. Here's a pic of The Rock (which looks really grainy compared to my Sony HDTV CRT for some reason).

acerrock1nx5.jpg

varmin thx for all the feedback for this monitor.

i was thinking about the viewsonic but that would be aroud 500$ plus custom taxes cos i have to import it (I live in shitty romania)

yesterday i seen these glossy effect of the screen of a friends laptop and i was inlove, when i read that this monitor acer monitor has it i was so happy. i can find this in my country but its 472 euro and i dont know if its worth it.

i plan on getting it for use with the xbox360 so i am woried about scaling and washed out colours with the vga cable.

phatsua said:
varmin thx for all the feedback for this monitor.

i was thinking about the viewsonic but that would be aroud 500$ plus custom taxes cos i have to import it (I live in shitty romania)

yesterday i seen these glossy effect of the screen of a friends laptop and i was inlove, when i read that this monitor acer monitor has it i was so happy. i can find this in my country but its 472 euro and i dont know if its worth it.

i plan on getting it for use with the xbox360 so i am woried about scaling and washed out colours with the vga cable.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd recommend the Acer at 472 Euro. Can you list your options and prices? How about the NEC?

I've got a Romanian guy on my soccer team. :)

well , i dont really know , the import price for the acer from the states would be also close to 600 euro including all my costs so i dont have much options here , i also found a Dell UltraSharp 2005FP for 400 euro , but really after i read all about the acer and the glossy screen and i`ve seen laptops with glossy i really cant picture using anything else , plus the vga cable on the xbox washes colors and this acer would improve the look thatks to his glossy screen.

wow nice that team do u have ? ask him is he is from Bucharest :p

Just an update - my Acer has started to emit a high frequency hum when no windows are open (just the windows background is up). When you open a browser or something, it goes away. It's not loud enough to be annoying, but it is noticeable. It's the same sound you get when you enable the monitor's speakers by connecting an audio cable, only not as loud.Someone else mentioned a similar problem with this monitor.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this monitor anymore - if you want something similar, just get the Acer F-20.

Back