The Only Way To Play

HardOCP News

[H] News
We know you can play GTA IV on a high-def projector and get similar results but there is just something so cool about seeing it played on this system.

Researchers (and gamers, obviously) down at UC San Diego have re-engineered their middleware to enable such masterpieces as this to be played on the big monolithic HIPerSpace screen, and needless to say, we can't imagine much real work getting done with this new functionality coming to light.

While it is interesting how these things get setup and the like, I don't realistically see myself every doing this, even in small numbers. The bezel in-between displays totally ruins everything; the only way I can see it potentially overcome is stuff like that alienware tri-monitor thing or side monitors specifically made to have 'hidden' bezels.

Then again, it seems it would be so much easier just to go the projection route.

It's a neat setup, but I do have to admit, I'd rather have a high quality projector. Now if you could run that display at it's native (that would be what... 19200x10800? I didn't count how many there were.) That would be freaking awesome.

I have a 110" projector that I play it on at home. The game looks OK but suffers from "jaggies" (my projector brings out the flaws). Furthermore, in dark scenes, it’s hard to play in the day time. I need some better window coverings to block out the light a little more. Oh yeah, the cell phone is a PITA to read (as others have reported)!

Yuck who wants to see blurry graphics and crappy shadows that big??? Its a great game but the graphics leave a lot to be desired.

Cool implementation but the bezels would interfere with gameplay for me.

cool idea, but very impractical. not only would a projector be cheaper, but also look better.

Bezels would piss me off as they cut through the map and the already impossible to read phone.

Yesterday PS3 had an update for GTAIV, so I installed it. Afterwards everything was in spanish. :eek:

Bezels definitely kill it for. I'd take a smaller gapless display over that any time.

With the reliablility of Dell monitors.. ( not sure yet ) getting one with light bleed or a few dead pixels would be a pain to pull off and I'm the type always lookin for imperfections on my stuff. Nice setup for running many boxen but just not realistic for my taste..

If he keeps that up, he will have to get used to having bars obstructing his view ;-)

another vote for cutting those screens out of the bezels.

additionally, after seeing this game on a 42" 1080p screen i'm more than happy with how my 20" displays gta4.

I never understood the appeal of these tv tile things. Even when I was a kid I always hated how they were split up with the frames breaking apart the picture. I would take a single tv over a wall of tvs any day.

I've got a projector projecting 103 inches and that's more than enough, besides all those black borders would drive me crazy.

I worked for this research group on a different project before it moved to UCSD. Pictures do NOT do this thing justice. The bezels are hardly noticeable when you are at a "proper" distance to the display. Also, your 103", 110", or 200' screens will not have the resolution of this display. It has a resolution of 28,160 x 8,000. When I worked there, there were not many wallpapers you can use. But hey, thank god for gigapixel image projects! The reasoning for going for tiled LCD displays instead of tiled projectors (which has been done elsewhere) was related to the "over time" argument. That is, over time an LCD will not have to have a bulb changed, will generate less heat, consume less power, and take up less space at the cost of the bezel.

The original project at University of California, Irvine - http://vis.ucsd.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Research_Projects:_HIPerWall (apple fanatics lust)
The 2nd generation at University of California, San Diego - http://vis.ucsd.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Research_Projects:_HIPerSpace

if you are at a distance to not notice the bezels, then you are at a distance to not appreciate the resolution.

Back