• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The old "CRT or LCD" question...

shocksyde

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 24, 2001
Messages
2,355
Now that LCD prices are somewhat acceptable, I need to choose between that and a CRT monitor for my new computer.

It'll be used mostly for surfing and schoolwork, not much gaming. however, i do graphics stuff all the time and i was wondering if LCDs suck for that kind of thing? are the colors not represented correctly?

also, what's a good brand/size/etc to go with?

thanks in advance,
shock
 
i'm sorry, i did not notice the "monitors" sub forum. i read some threads in there and have made up my mind.
 
So, what did you decide on? :)

When my old monitor died recently I just went out and bought a new CRT because I was on a budget. I thought some of the LCDs looked great, some not so. I was in a hurry to buy what was available at a local store, I would have shopped online for best price, but I would never buy a monitor "sight unseen". Definitely go see your options in person and then shop for price if you can.

But also, some of the newer CRTs put the older ones to shame. The color and sharpness is soooo much better than what I had. Plus, even though they were both 17", the new one has an inch more diagonal viewing area, so it's actually bigger, despite the case itself being slightly smaller. Definitely a huge improvement. :)
 
For gaming, I would still choose a CRT b/c the grays, blacks, and motion in LCD's are inferior due to limitations in LCD technology. You can't turn off individual LCD pixels, you can only mask them. So it is harder to attain a good grayscale. This will inhibit your viewing of any detail.

Any monitor will perform poorly without calibration. I use Monitor Calibration Wizard combined with Nokia Monitor Text (NTest) and Display Mate free edition just to check for moire patterns more easily.
 
yeah i decided on a 19" CRT monitor. probably one of these 3: samsung, NEC/Mitsu, or ViewSonic (i'm going to check them out in person today).

after reading that LCDs have poorer color reproduction and "possible" ghosting problems, i decided that its not worth the price just to have a smaller footprint on my desk.

MadSkills, are all those programs that you just named free? or relatively cheap?
 
My NEC/Mitsubishi 930SB will hopefully be here by Friday. I'm a gamer and decided to go with what I needed to get the job done. :D
 
Back
Top