The Official Settlers of Catan Thread of Awesomeness

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Anybody out there play this game? I love it, play it a few times a week. Am thinking about getting Cities & Knights or Seafarers, what do you guys think, is either one definitely better than the other? Also, tell me about your strategies! I've only been playing regularly for about 2 months, and am still experimenting a lot with what works.

The way we play is, instead of placing the numbers in the order prescribed by the letters, we just place them randomly because it makes the game more dynamic. The last game we played, my first placement was on an 8-Ore / 12-Ore / Ore Port. My second placement was on a 6-ore / 9-wheat / 11-wheat. My first turn I built a city :p I wasn't sure how well it would work but I end-up winning, mostly through development cards (I only built 4 roads the whole game). I think I'm going to play some more tonight after work - can't wait!

I really want to get this game, I just don't think my roommate or any of my friends that come over often would play it with me. :(

jtsnewo4 said:
I really want to get this game, I just don't think my roommate or any of my friends that come over often would play it with me. :(

I dunno, the people I played it with in college were die-hard Halo fans. The game has a lot of appeal because of its mix of luck and strategy, and unlike monopoly, everybody plays until somebody wins.

The people I played turned me off real quick. Fun concept but they took it too seriously.

Once you get Knights & Cities you can't go back to normal Settlers or Seafarers. Seafarers is a very crappy expansion in comparison; conflict and game progression drag in comparison to both the original and K&C. You probably won't want to combine both expansions by the way, as those games will take forever, and it's much more fun just to play multiple rounds of Knights & Cities.

Like pretty much all board games, it's one of those "chill" games where it's only as good as the people you play it with. If you're around a bunch of guys who don't know how to relax and play a game becaues it's fun, it's going to suck. The people I played it with knew how to play; we focused not primarily on winning but trying to screw over the other guy as much as possible. Going for longest road? Not with my Mighty Knight there. Need that Ore? Not if I get there first.

Also, your friends will probably look at you funny trying to get them to play it, but everyone succumbs to the power of Settlers. No friend, roommate, roommate's sisters, or girlfriend walked away unscathed in my years in college.

Fun game, but my friends and I have almost completely moved over to Munchkin, the card game. Its hilarious, especially if you have ever played RPGs. Kill Monsters, Take their Stuff, Stab Your Buddy, best tag line ever.

Yeah I've got the original Munchkin and the 2 expansion sets for it, I love that game. I was unimpressed with Star Munchkin, haven't played Munchkin Fu or Munchkin Bites.

I have liked pretty much all of the Munchkin sets. We mix them all together, since they are compatable with each other.

I have Munchkin and its 2 expansions and will be picking up the new one "The Need for Steed" when it comes out, Star Munchkin, Munchkin Fu, Super Munchkin, and Munchkin Blender. I am going to be picking up the expansions for the other ones also. I am going to brake the games apart again and my friends and I are talking about which sets will make the best combinations. The difficult thing about having them ALL together is that combinations within set are not seen often. The nice thing is though, no two games are the same because there are just so many cards.

A bit of advice if you ever pick up Munchkin Blender. Take all the epic rules, and throw them away along with the "Epic Junior" cards. Blender is great and has some great cards but the Epic rules make the game go way too long and you have to remember rules that are not on the class cards themselves. So, trust me, discard them.

Back