the official L90D+ thread

lemme ask you this. when you're browsing this forum, does grey look brighter at a the bottom?? or a different shade??

glad you like it. :)

Goat is your brighter on the bottom when in the desktop?
Mine is, so I lowered the brightness to 50 and the contrast to 100.
It helped with this as well as the text.

I tried a couple of games before doing anything, and in games it looks great.
But on the desktop it needs some work.

no dead or stuck pixels,,,man was I happy to see that.

funny for some reason when I look at the monitor it looks wider at the bottom
than then top....lol

sparks

yea, everytime I use the monitor for web browsing (especially darker pages) I consider returning it because of the color difference from the bottom and the top of the screen. But once I play CS:S or Everquest2, I want to carry with me whereever I go :D . Oh well. I'm thinking I'll use it for a year or two then get one of those < 8ms samsung PVA panels when they're a reasonable price.

Wow, just got mine plugged in......this is a damn nice monitor. I've only tried cs:s for a couple minutes so far and came here.

Damn though, no chance of me going back to that poopy ass 19' crt I have.

Sooo much more space now too. Happy day!!!

Not a single dead pixel either.

also just got mine plugged in, so far this monitor kicks ass. No dead pixels, got it from new egg in 3 days. Haven't seen any problems with the viewing angles, and the color looks pretty uniform (people were talking about it being brighter at the bottom or top). I thought i had a dead pixel, but it was a speck of dust, hehe. I'll report in again after some more use

Goat said:
yea, everytime I use the monitor for web browsing (especially darker pages) I consider returning it because of the color difference from the bottom and the top of the screen. But once I play CS:S or Everquest2, I want to carry with me whereever I go :D . Oh well. I'm thinking I'll use it for a year or two then get one of those < 8ms samsung PVA panels when they're a reasonable price.

I think you just need to adjust the monitor tilt or sit up straight in your chair cause when your viewing the LCD with your eye level above the top of the LCD i dont see any brightness differences with the top and bottom of the screen.

It all has to do with the viewing angles of the LCD and nothing to do with backlighting.

burningrave101 said:
I think you just need to adjust the monitor tilt or sit up straight in your chair cause when your viewing the LCD with your eye level above the top of the LCD i dont see any brightness differences with the top and bottom of the screen.

It all has to do with the viewing angles of the LCD and nothing to do with backlighting.

I agree, I have no problems with mine being "lighter" or "darker" on top or bottom because I sit straight and level looking at it. I only wish the viewing angle wasn't so narrow but other then that, I love this freaking LCD! :D

burningrave101 said:

Trust me, I've tried every position imaginable. it's still there no matter what. I love the monitor other than the brightness thing and if more people aren't noticing it, then maybe i can get a replacement from newegg.

If there is any backlight bleeding on the top or the bottom I don't really see it at all. The only thing that I see is the viewing angle (vertical) , but it's not bad at all.

this is the first lcd i have purchased, i have only had run ins with others units so i don't really know what to expect.

i see a pixel all the way to the left that is stuck green, i could live with that especially when i hear horror stories about dead pixels all over.

it looks to me like the screen is bowed in the middle and is still noticeable after using the unit today. just doesn't look right, i maybe could live with that but i don't understand whats happening.

what really sticks out though is compared to my crt is the the little grid, again something i could maybe live with but its noticeable.

and worst of all on this forum wherei assume its supposed to be black, all along the edges you can see the washed out lighter streaks over the purer black in the middle of the screen. that really sucks as of now.

and when i started it up in a room with no lights and the screen was dark, you can see all sorts of shades of black and what looks like finger smudges, like somebody water painted the whole canvas and that leaves a terrible impression with me.

i am at native res and must say i am not impressed at all picture wise, doesn't seem like a step forward that is for sure. only thing i can do is keep using this thing hard some more to see whats up, i like less heat and space, and i hope it is easier on the eyes.

Goat said:
Trust me, I've tried every position imaginable. it's still there no matter what. I love the monitor other than the brightness thing and if more people aren't noticing it, then maybe i can get a replacement from newegg.
From my experience with TN panels, all of them have the same problem with top of the screen being darker than the bottom. It's just a nature of TN panels since their viewing angles are so narrow that even when you sit directly in front of the screen you can see some colorshift because you are looking at the top and bottom of the screen at an angle. When you view the monitor with your eye level above the top of the screen as burningrave suggested, everything will look slightly washed out, especially the bottom of the screen. There is no "sweet spot" at all IMO. Those who say they don't have that problem just aren't noticing it so replacing it wouldn't be a good idea if you're satisfied with everything else (dead pixels, backlight uniformity etc.).

I've been using mine for almost a week and I am really on the fence regarding whether to keep it or return it. I have noticed backlight leakage on the right side of the screen from top to bottom when I am looking at a black screen when all of the lights are turned off. In addition, there is a blueish tinge on the left part of the screen when I am looking at a white background. My wife said she didn't see it, but I sure as the hell can. It is bugging the hell out of me. Maybe it has something to do with the backlight problem on that side of the screen. Games seem to run fine and look good, but that is to be expected since I am using an X800XT-PE. I could see some very faint ghosting in Nascar 2003. I guess the kicker is that my wife saw the DVD playback and was horrified. That is a big deal to her since she usually gets my hardware when I upgrade. She actually told me that it was unacceptable to her and that she would keep her crt. Thankly I bought it locally so I can return it within seven days. However, if I return it what am I gonna get to replace it?

Well I have had mine for about a week now as well. I have been playing games and watching DVDs on it without problem. I haven't noticed ANY of the problems other people are having. It does have a narrow viewing angle - but it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

I LOVE THIS thing and will never ever buy another CRT.

The top and bottom of my screen look the exact same shades of gray/black on this forum to me.
;)

I just got mine tonight. ( Would have been here 2 days ago, but candy-ass FedEx took 2 days to transport it all of 40 MILES!!!!)

:cool: :D

3 words

Sweetness at 1280x1024 MMMMMmmmmmmm....

0, Zero, Nada, nil dead pixels. w00t! :)

damn i hate to clog this place up with posts like this but i haven't really a clue what im dealing with. i have left this thing on all day running it through various tests and none of my issues have cleared up.

1. the lower half is brighter than the top. just scrolling this website you can see the transitions in color.

2. i have what i would call internal smude marks like fingers that don't wipe off at various spots on the upper half of the screen that effect the picture in those spots. play a dvd movie or look at the right picture and it looks like its own little circular spots of burn in. thats annoying.

3. its brighter at the top and bottom edges so like on a black screen its lighter, this along with my smudges and a black screen looks terrible like during bootup, its just a mess of shades of washed out blacks.

4. only one green stuck pixel on the left edge which i could live with.

so i bought it from newegg and don't think i can put up with this. the smudges are so obvious in various spots with things like movies, even evident on say the windows login screen. imagine burned little spots on your tv screen that you always know are their. i think if the top and bottom is considered leakage i could deal with that as it doesnt come up in the real world. the blacks are terrible but i think thats just the technology.

so do my smudges warrant a return? if so, since i don't have a dead pixel issue, do i have to do it directly through hyundai?

The smudges are definently not supposed to be part of the screen as I do not have them, so its defective and warranted for return right there. Mine was from newegg as well and not a single problem with my screen *nocks on wood*

i looked at that overclockers forum thread i had forgot about and read everything. i will definately have to return this, the smudges are reflected so bad in normal use like videos, imagine having burned spots on your tv that you always notice. way to annoying and different than some of that edge bleeding which you can't really see in normal usage.

from what i have read the rma needs to be done through hyundai and i just fired them off an email and will keep people updated about the process. it looks like on their site they will give you a new one with a credit card on file and send a return label so you won't be without a monitor. i am down with that and will insist on them checking my unit by hand to resolve all issues before shipping.

weird, I have a stuck green pixel on the left too. anyway, could we have a picture of the smudges before you ship it off so we know what a defective one looks like? I'd also like to see how this forum looks on yours.

I have one Blue pixel on the very top but it doesn't bother me much.

One thing that does bother me though is that every game i play is free of ghosting EXCEPT CS:S (even FarCry at 1280x1024 32bit all settings high does not ghost). It's kinda weird, almost as if i have video lag. I didn't have this with my CRT though and my card is more than capable of running the game. At any rate, this also happens if i set the resolution low without any AA on.

Anyone knows why this is and how to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated....

This is my first LCD and althought I was amazed at how much better games look on this thing compared to my 3 yr old crt I still don't understand the light.

I assume that there is a light in the lower right of the monitor that lights up the rest of the screen. To me it looks like someone is shining a flashlight on the screen from the lower right of my desk.
I only see this on the desktop, and of course like this web page the bottom of the screen is brighter than the top.

Some say this is normal to ALL LCD screens...is this true?
Is it something you get used to or is there some settings that will help with this ?
I have lowered the brightness down to 50 and 90 on contrast and this helps some.
Now its only the lower 1/3 of the screen that is brighter than the rest.

10+ yrs of lcd's and this is the best they can do?

poor showing in my noob experience with them

want to say I am not flaming hyundai as the overall quality of the thing with 0 dead and/or stuck pixels was nice to see. and as I said I am new to lcd and it might be all of them are this way.

sparks

sparks said:
This is my first LCD and althought I was amazed at how much better games look on this thing compared to my 3 yr old crt I still don't understand the light.

I assume that there is a light in the lower right of the monitor that lights up the rest of the screen. To me it looks like someone is shining a flashlight on the screen from the lower right of my desk.
I only see this on the desktop, and of course like this web page the bottom of the screen is brighter than the top.

Some say this is normal to ALL LCD screens...is this true?
Is it something you get used to or is there some settings that will help with this ?
I have lowered the brightness down to 50 and 90 on contrast and this helps some.
Now its only the lower 1/3 of the screen that is brighter than the rest.

10+ yrs of lcd's and this is the best they can do?

poor showing in my noob experience with them

want to say I am not flaming hyundai as the overall quality of the thing with 0 dead and/or stuck pixels was nice to see. and as I said I am new to lcd and it might be all of them are this way.

sparks
It's normal for all TN panels, not all LCD screens. But if it's only brighter on the right or left side then there is something wrong with your monitor, probably the backlight is leaking. The bottom of the screen being brighter than the top is caused by too narrow vertical viewing angles and there is really nothing you can do about it except to buy a monitor based on VA or IPS panel which have much wider viewing angles.

oh man i am continuing to use this thing until it gets replaced and i got a pile of crap, thats for sure. the colors are so much dark on the top half than the bottom, and my white smudges are so damn bad they even showup on games and like color backgrounds. i think the leakage up top is worse than i thought as well.

i contacted hyundai and they answered the next day, im going to return it through them and put my credit card on file so they will ship me a new one since its within 30 days of purchase, and provide return labels for the old one when it gets here.

they also tell me all my problems aren't acceptable and its just one of the bad ones that pops up and that i should return it. that was nice to hear. they also tell me they will personally check out the panel before it leaves rather than just sending another new boxed one so if that holds true its good to hear as well.

Well i was looking for the official thread on this monitor for about an hour and now that i found it I guess i can put in my full two cents. OK
In order of importance

GAMING QUALITY: 10+
For all those gamers out there who were looking at going LCD for the clearity and the quality that the LCD provides and were waiting on a cheap and fast LCD then this is it. The 8 ms response time is great. Even though the true timings for color to black or color to color scale is around 10.5 ms or so its still wicked fast and can easily keep up with the latest games. I have had the monitors for 1 month now and have played games like DOOM 3, WOW, Farcry, HL2 and many other games. All games were played on max settings with a BFG 6800 GT ULtra OC. I have experienced no ghosting while testing the speeds of the monitor.

VISUAL QUALITY: 7+
The visual quality in this monitor is mainly directed for those who want to use there computers as a multimedia systems for viewing dvd's. Now I dont know why personally cuase i didnt experience any of the problems with either of my two L90's but some people have reported poor viewing when it comes to viewing dvd's. Later I will post the diffrent things I changed to get the best settings out of my monitors. Also the viewing angle has been reported to be very bad. Again i have two monitors and my viewing angle on both is perfect for where I sit. Maybe if they had like five circling there desk and had them all facing the wrong way there might be a viewing problem. :) I didnt give it a ten do to the fact that there is brighter spots of the monitor on the top and bottom middle of the monitor. But how can one complain about a monitor they buy, cuase if you didnt know this before you bought it you shouldnt have purchased it. But my BASIS of a perfect ten is for a perfect monitor.

HARDWARE: 7+
The monitor itself is beautifull setup. Personally I think a few of the items I would change are simple yet very effective in haveing the perfect product. For one, the settings buttons arnt exactly the easiest things to work with. Its like a bubble button and sometimes there hard to find with just your finger tips. Expecially when you dont have very good feelign in your fingers. "GOD I HOPE I NEVER GO BLIND CUASE BRAIL WILL KILL ME". Anyways besides the buttons I also found it hard to take the base of the stand back off after putting it on. It seems simple enough when you look at it but the when you attempt it you feel like your going to break something. I like sturdy stuff that i couldnt break if i tried, but seriously we are talkign about monitors here ;) Other then that i think the hight adjust is fine and so is the angle ajustment.

PRICE: 10+
Now im not going to say that this lcd is the best lcd for all those go getters out there looking for the top of the line. But I will say, unless you have about three hundred more dollars then I did at the time I bought this monitor, then you will not go wrong with purchasing this one. I like it so much I bought a second.

OVERVIEW:

Now there are a few other things I would like to say about these lcd's. First off I have two. I bought a second for two reasons, one is I like the dual display look. And the second is the first one I purchased had a dead pixel. And then when i got the second it also had a dead pixel. One blue one read and both not as annoying as I thought they would be. Other then that I am very glad to have purchased these monitors. I like to add that if you are dissapointed in what you purchased buecuase of something that is not a rma'able problem then you should have researched the product a little better. I knew what i was getting myself into and I am not the least bit dissapointed in the product nor my decision.

What i did to get the best performance.

Many people have writen in there settings to get the best visual. Well I have two monitors so i have two diffrent setups. On my Gaming Monitor i have it running pretty much at stock settings for the monitor and tweaked it with my graphics card. I am also using the dvi cable but have the monitor set up on analog. I know this sounds weird but it seriosly cleared up the picture tremendously. My second monitor is also at stock monitor speeds and scince i just use it for webbrowesing i toned down the brightness and gamma just a tad to keep my eyes from squinting cuase of the brightness of the monitors.

Well thats it thanks for reading and good luck with finding the right Monitors for you. :)

I've had it for about a week now n i'm happy with everything, except for the color quality. Darker colors aren't dark enough, has overall washed out look. I've been using 19" Samsung (PVA) for a year and colors are much better on PVA..

I got mine set at 65 contrast and 30 brightness, has anyone tweak the gamma to fix darker and washed colors??

edit:
On previous page, many ppl talkin about screen being lighter at the bottom, n i have same issue on my monitor but its not that noticable.. i can live with that. My main issue is the color which is sooo noticable when i place it next to Samsung. :(

p.s. according to the review at Tomshardware "In the case of the L90D+, you'll be able to change the brightness as you see fit between 30% and 70% without losing too much contrast. Optimum contrast was at 65%. "

Back