the official L90D+ thread

Has anyone compared this monitor the 2001FP? I am looking between both monitors for gaming, browsing, and some office type apps. DVD viewing and graphical editing are not a concern for me.

What is the thought between these two monitors especially for gaming.

Thanks.

if you're concerned about gaming and not graphics or DVD watching, the L90 cant be beat at this time

Agreed, this is THE gaming monitor. The 2001 is more certainly "all-purpose" than the L90, and much more of a middle-ground between gaming/photo/dvd/etc, but if all you are concerned about is gaming, you'll like this screen better.

Just ordered 1 from the egg today. :D :cool:

They've got them for $359 + free shipping.

The Egg

Man I can't wait until that box arrives.

Gh()st said:
Just ordered 1 from the egg today. :D :cool:

They've got them for $359 + free shipping.

The Egg

Man I can't wait until that box arrives.

Ahhh, I was sooo happy when I got my box. It ushered the end of my CRT days
:D

I love the monitor, but i'm thinking of getting a replacement, but i don't know. I'm sure if this is backlight bleed or what but the lower portion of the monitor is somewhat brighter than the upper portion. this picture shows it exaggeratted but you get the idea....

http://s117597977.onlinehome.us/Site hosting/backlight.jpg

It's hardly noticable in games, but a picture in photoshop looks entirely different depending on where the section of the pic is located. newegg doesn't charge a restock fee for replacements so i may go with that and just try another one. If the problem is still there then i can live with it. I also have one stuck pixel but it's out of the way and i wouldn't want to get one that has one right in the middle of the screen.

Try viewing your 'blank' screensaver to check for backlight leakage. However, that looks more like the viewing angle issues that plague all TN+ monitors, and less like leakage.

Yes, that's a viewing angle problem with TN panels. If that stuck pixel doesn't bother you then I wouldn't ask for a replacement since that's "normal" for TN panels.

I am on the verge of buying one right now. Bananapc.com has it for sale for $357.00. They said they would take a return for 30 days if I didn't like it. No questions asked. They have a lietime rating of 8.19 on resellerratings. Has anyone done business with them? I always use newegg, but not this time with their pixel policy. I sure want this monitor bad, but I don't want to get screwed on the pixel issue.

I just ordered mine today from the egg too. Hopefully it'll arrive monday. Between that and the new x800xt I just got I'll be in gaming heaven. :D

steviep said:
Try viewing your 'blank' screensaver to check for backlight leakage. However, that looks more like the viewing angle issues that plague all TN+ monitors, and less like leakage.

i don't think it's the view angles. When i physically move my head up and down the lower portion of the screen is always brighter. no matter where my face is placed.

I have a 19" CRT right now, and I am definitely considering this moniter as I do gaming mostly and the regular college stuff aswell. Do you guys think that it's worth it to get an LCD monitor? Do you guys like them better than CRT's?

BTW, im new here, i think this is a great forum, hopefully i'll be speaking with you guys often.
:)

Nathan921 said:
I have a 19" CRT right now, and I am definitely considering this moniter as I do gaming mostly and the regular college stuff aswell. Do you guys think that it's worth it to get an LCD monitor? Do you guys like them better than CRT's?

BTW, im new here, i think this is a great forum, hopefully i'll be speaking with you guys often.
:)

Given the incredible quality my L90D+ does, i'll never go back to CRTs the technology has improved to the point where their are few reasons to stick with CRTS

LCD's are so crisp. I looked at my mom's gateway 17" and it seemed so blurry. I think I'm still adjusting to the characteristics of this monitor (brightness mostly). If you like your current CRT, I would stick with it. the L90D+ is good, but not worth the extra dough if you don't need it.

Well I went ahead and bought one today. I haven't been messing with it too much since I am tired from doing yardwork. I like it except for the narrow viewing angles, but I already knew about that. Also I played a couple of videos and it wasn't too good. Very grainy. I bought it locally, so I was able to test it for dead pixels and bleeding issues. I plan on playing more tommorrow. I'm still getting used to it. Overall it is a very nice monitor.

Where has been the best place to get this monitor from? I would get it from the egg, but they charge Tennesseans a butt load for tax? Im in the market, just wanna get a good deal on it.

I just ordered mine from TigerDirect friday, says it shipped today so hopefully i'll see it around tuesday or wednesday (shipping in state from their warehouse). I called them 2 seperate times and spoke to 2 different reps and they said that if it had a dead pixel that I can exchange it within 30 days. Cost me about $415 total after tax and s&h .

Got mine a few days ago at a local computer store. I was out shopping all day long for lcd's and finally I stopped by that store. When I saw the price and "8ms responce time", I almost shat myself. I was amazed at the quality of the lcd but checked a few more stores to see if I could find something better. With no luck, I went back to the store and bought this lcd. Needless to say I'm very happy with it. Glad to get that big heavy 19" crt off my desk! No dead pixles for me. This is my first LCD. My laptop has a very good LCD which owned my CRT in crispness which is what made me want to replace the CRT. Glad I did :)

Bought this from newegg on friday, I'm really looking forward to getting it. My first LCD monitor. Thinking about going dual monitors with my old one until this weekend. :)

Hi, I have been playing with mine for a few days and it is OK. It seems to me that one sie of the screen it brighter than the other. In addition, when it is dark I can see some backlight bleeding on the side that is brighter. The viewing angles are starting to aggravate the hell out of me because I have to be careful how I sit or the picture qaulity sucks. The main turnoff for me is the the horrific DVD playback quality. Some of my videos look like Doom at 640x480. So damn pixelated that I can't stand to look at it for more than a minute or so. I am on the verge of returning it and getting something else. Do other LCD's with 12ms and 16 ms response times look better playing DVD's? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Borocay said:
Hi, I have been playing with mine for a few days and it is OK. It seems to me that one sie of the screen it brighter than the other. In addition, when it is dark I can see some backlight bleeding on the side that is brighter. The viewing angles are starting to aggravate the hell out of me because I have to be careful how I sit or the picture qaulity sucks. The main turnoff for me is the the horrific DVD playback quality. Some of my videos look like Doom at 640x480. So damn pixelated that I can't stand to look at it for more than a minute or so. I am on the verge of returning it and getting something else. Do other LCD's with 12ms and 16 ms response times look better playing DVD's? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds to me you didn't do your research as its been STATED over and over that this monitor has very narrow viewing angles, thats just the nature of TN panels.

DVD playback has been shown to be not great on this monitor as a result of its 6bit dithering, again its just the nature of the monitor. People have managed to fix it using different drivers or settings but not all of them.

As far as one side being brighter, well sounds like you got a lemon from the factory and needs to be returned.

It honestly sounds like you should have gotten a Dell as you seem more keen for color clarity and trueness then fast response time. This is a hardcores gamers monitor. It IS NOT for high end photo or video editors, DVD or movie playbacking.

I just got mine today, and it is awesome, just played CS:S and UT2k4 and there is way less blurring compaired to my 172x. BUT i did get 3 DEAD PIXELS i rubbed 2 out and there is one right in the middle that is stuck, so all and all i love it. DVDs really didnt look bad to me but i mean i use my TV to watch DVDs so i dont need a monitor that is good on dvds.

I didn't know you could rub dead pixels out. How do you do that? Is there a special technique? Does it harm the screen?

Didnt harm mine, just took my thumb and pressed a littled and made a few cirlcular motions around them and they are fine. just gotta work it ;p if they dont come out in a few seconds its stuck and im not sure what to do from there.

I'm sorry but is this the nature of all TN panels or just this cheap (as in relatively inexpensive compared to all other 19"s) monitor? I don't see why you classify the monitor as being a "hardcore gamers" monitor, does that mean hardcore games don't care about colors or viewing angles so they'll sacrifice everything just to get rid of some slight ghosting? Also wouldn't a CRT still be the hardcore gamers monitor of choice? What about these 8ms monitors that are just coming out that have 8bit color more contrast and better viewing angles? I'm sorry but I consider myself a hardcore gamer that also cares about color quality, viewing angles, contrast, style, and response time. It seems to me that people are willing to sacrifice everything just because it has 8ms written on it and that's just silly to me.

I did do my research before buying this monitor. However, I decided to go ahead and get an LCD with a low response time because of the ghosting issue. When everyone said that it had narrow viewing angles, I had no idea that meant sitting in one place directly in front of the monitor. The viewing angles are so narrow that if I move my head more than 6 to 8 inches the screen color and clarity changes. Now that's narrow. I agree that it is an excellent monitor if you do nothing but gaming on your computer, but if you do anything else then it is a let down.

peacetilence said:
I'm sorry but is this the nature of all TN panels or just this cheap (as in relatively inexpensive compared to all other 19"s) monitor? I don't see why you classify the monitor as being a "hardcore gamers" monitor, does that mean hardcore games don't care about colors or viewing angles so they'll sacrifice everything just to get rid of some slight ghosting? Also wouldn't a CRT still be the hardcore gamers monitor of choice? What about these 8ms monitors that are just coming out that have 8bit color more contrast and better viewing angles? I'm sorry but I consider myself a hardcore gamer that also cares about color quality, viewing angles, contrast, style, and response time. It seems to me that people are willing to sacrifice everything just because it has 8ms written on it and that's just silly to me.

For ME, my machine is a dedicated 100% gaming machine. As such, narrow viewing angles and lower colors don't mean much to me, I DO NOT WANT GHOSTING of any kind on my LCD screen and the Dells simpy had to much for my tastes and thus its my primary reason for it getting the L90D+. If that isn't you, your better off with a Dell or Viewsonic for your needs.

IceWind said:
DVD playback has been shown to be not great on this monitor as a result of its 6bit dithering, again its just the nature of the monitor. People have managed to fix it using different drivers or settings but not all of them.

Where can you find drivers fo the L90D+ i tried looking around but didnt get anywhere.

this is gonna be fun. i have totally stayed away from lcd's for all this time because of others units i had seen in real life, and the ghosting made me sick.

i ordered from newegg on friday so should get it soon and can't wait to see if i can handle it or not.

i am so sick of the big 70+ pound heater and would love an lcd to work out, i almost bit on a dell or apple but i noticed the damn ghosting on those units :(

hopefully i can hang with this unit and something better will come out asap, i don't mind paying for an all around good lcd. sounds like we aren't there yet though.

emoretared said:
Where can you find drivers fo the L90D+ i tried looking around but didnt get anywhere.

There is a CD with drivers included with the L90D+.

BTW, if anyone is interested i'm selling my L90D+. As far as i know it has zero dead pixels and is in perfect condition.

emoretared said:

I meant in regards to VIDEO card drivers, not monitor drivers. And you are correct, they for some reason don't install and even when I got mine installed, it didn't make a hoot of a difference.

should get mine today and have a question.
Right now I have a 19crt plugged into the vga.
Is there anything I need to do to the video settings
on the card before I plug it in?
will unplug the crt before I plug in the lcd but just don't
want to mess it up before I get to see it LOL

thanks for any pointers

sparks

mine came yesterday and I love it. I have an unhealthy EQ habit, and it's perfect for that (plus I'm no longer sitting 6 inches from the screen due to space constrains).
Regarding the driver, my WinXP2 gave me a hassle to installing the drivers. Just use "add hardware" and the "install what I tell you" option. Then go to the LD90+ folder, highlite the ini file and tell windows "yes damnit, I want it, why do you think I went through that hassle to get here". Takes a couple more clicks, but then it's recognized.

sparks said:
should get mine today and have a question.
Right now I have a 19crt plugged into the vga.
Is there anything I need to do to the video settings
on the card before I plug it in?
will unplug the crt before I plug in the lcd but just don't
want to mess it up before I get to see it LOL

thanks for any pointers

sparks

Just turn off your computer, hook up the DVI cable, and fire it up. I should auto detect.

thanks Goat...have to run to fedex to pick it up..
newegg will NOT tell them to drop it off without signature.

did you install drivers or anything before install?

might stop buy and get one of the $219 after rebate 6800 evga
on the way home....

sparks

To install the L90D+ drivers you have to choose the Don't Search option and use Have Disk.

I just got mine tonight and I absolutly love it. Colors are vibrant, everything is sharp, simply beautiful display. I'm extremely happy to say goodbye to the CRT world with this baby... Not a single dead pixel to be found. TigerDirect got it to me in 1 day after it shipped ( though I am only a few counties away from their main warehouse up near Chicago). If anyone is hesitant to get this moniter, don't be. Great display.

Back