The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

Knuckles, have you tested it with games yet?
Only World of Warcraft (which exceeds all my expectations). While I am a bit of a 'gamer', other distractions like family, work, and school cut into my gaming time so much that I barely find any time to play WoW.

So unfortunately I can't comment on some of the graphic-intensive games out there.

Just an FYI - I noticed that HP has revised their MyDisplay software. Its been out for a couple of weeks now (May 23, 2007). The new Rev. is 1.20 Rev. A

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3363837&os=2093&lang=en

I'm curious if anyone has tried this new version and if HP has fixed all the problems that riddled. V.1.1? I'll admit that I'm a bit gun shy in trying it after the experience I had the first time around.

Mansize: wait till you get the new parts. Many times laptops' videos are inadequate for the latest monitors. The 22"ers are not renowned for their non-native resolution performance, though I tell ya, the w2207 is quite good at 1280x1024 with a card that has enough memory, say 128MB and a 500MHz RAMDAC. However in that setting 1:1 mapping isn't quite right, though not bad either. In any case, you'll have the stipulated results with your PC. Patience. Right now there's a Newegg commercial on top of the screen with high color diversity. On my w2207 it looks pretty awesome.

Edit: Well, I've tried all of the possible settings down to 1280x768 and have to say they behave quite well, colors still very good and characters if not crisp, still very readable but I don't know about eye strain after some time of reading. Interestingly, 1:1 in 1280x1024 and 1280x960 is slightly ellipse shaped horizontally, whereas in 1280x768 1:1 is perfect.

Picked a w2207 up today from CircuitCity after reading about it here at the [H]. I already have a S-IPS HP 20" 4:3 LP2065 and this one compliments it really well for games and internet browsing. The LP2065 is still preferred for photo editing though.

What i particularly like about this one is the 1:1 scaling funtion. Excellent feature for games that don't play nice in widescreen!!!

OK, so after connected this monitor up to my computer my mind has changed, as i had suspected. It really is a very good monitor for the money.

Hi, I'm quite new to LCD monitors and at this point the W2007 has caught my eye, based partially on this forum's discussions (unfortunately my desk allows space for only the W2007 and not the W2207).

I'm a fairly casual gamer, but I do need an LCD with 1:1 pixel mapping or at least some form of aspect ratio control for those older games which 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (but not wide). I've looked over this thread, and I'm not sure just what the W2007 supports in terms of pixel mapping or aspect ratio control (there were some comments, but I'm not sure if they were for the W2007 or the W2207- HP's site was not helpful on this).

Could anyone clue me in on this? If the W2007 does not support this, does any other 20" (max 50 cm across) LCD support it?

thanks

I've tried EXACTLY that at CircuitCity today and the unit there didn't seem to support it. It had the same menu as the 2207 but the setting didn't seem to have any effect. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it, but i think it doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping. The 2207 on the other hand does it just fine.

Other LCD's in the 20" range that support 1:1 pixel mapping are (i believe) the Dell and the Gateway screens.

Thanks for your quick reply ScYcS. Darn, that was not quite what I wanted to hear. Maybe I can try and squeeze in the W2207 on my desktop. I'll try and access the menu of both LCDs at Best Buy tomorrow.

For Dell, is this the model you meant?:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-4688

For Gateway, is this the model you meant?
http://www.gateway.com/accessories/product/1540982R.php?seg=hm

Thanks for your help, and if anyone else could further shed some light, please reply if you have the time.

thanks!

Has anyone noticed that text, say on this forum for example, seems kinda pinkish. Like every couple of letters or so. This monitor, HP 2207 is so much better than the sammy 226bw I had. I could not read any text with that one as it seemed to have double text or something, no clear type on.
I am not really bothered by itas most of it went away when I switched it from photo to text mode. I was just curious if it is a by-product of my video card or just something LCD monitors do in general. I got this one after reading all the good things said on here. It took me having a problem with the sammy 226bw to find this site and I am glad I did.
Thanks.

It's interesting that some of you guys are having problems with purplish letters. I never had any, at least with this monitor. Could you fill me in please? What resolution is the monitor set to? But anyway, I never had this problem at any resolution.

Those in the US, if you want massive quantities of inexpensive memory try NewEgg this week.

Just an FYI - I noticed that HP has revised their MyDisplay software. Its been out for a couple of weeks now (May 23, 2007). The new Rev. is 1.20 Rev. A

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3363837&os=2093&lang=en

I'm curious if anyone has tried this new version and if HP has fixed all the problems that riddled. V.1.1? I'll admit that I'm a bit gun shy in trying it after the experience I had the first time around.

OK, I decided to play guinea pig for you. I installed version 1.2 on Vista Enterprise.

After my first reboot, it automatically launched the calibration wizard in full screen. I clicked through the first prompt and....nothing. The screen didn't change and no new prompt appeared. I used CtrlAltDel to get access to the shutdown menu and rebooted. Sounds bad so far...

However, when I re-entered Windows it did not launch the Wizard automatically. I went into the software, played with all the settings, and even ran the Wizard again, and it all worked perfectly. Haven't noticed any problems so far. After using the calibration tools, I noticed that the factory default has a blue tint to it, so I corrected that. The auto-pivot feature works too. So far I'm pleased.

It's interesting that some of you guys are having problems with purplish letters. I never had any, at least with this monitor. Could you fill me in please? What resolution is the monitor set to? But anyway, I never had this problem at any resolution.

Those in the US, if you want massive quantities of inexpensive memory try NewEgg this week.

Mine is still at the stock resolution through the DVI cable that came with the monitor. I do not have Photoshop installed at the moment on this machine or else I would show you a screen shot of it. It did not show up in paint so no use there.
It is not bothersome or anything, I just wanted to make sure mine was not bad. This thing is so clear I can read it without my glasses for a good while. My glasses are for close up work.
The clear type thing almost got rid of all of it.
I got it from BB at their $379 price, but got a $50 gift card for free at time of purchase. Since no one had it on sale this week, and my old 19" crt took a dump, I needed a monitor. I figured $50 BB money was better than none.
On a side note, it has a MFG date of April 2007 for those who are tracking that kind of info. They seemed to have changed their mind on the DVI cable being included now.

Yeah, on my monitor letters are also crystal clear, I mean my eyes almost hurt, they're so clear. I need glasses for distance so don't need any for closeups. One tip I can give you is to use FireFox which has a large gamut of text magnification/reduction steps when pressing Ctrl/+ or Ctrl/- In any case, I also can suggest for you to get on HP's site and have a chat with one of the techs or mail exchange about the problem. I did in some other matters and they were pretty gracious. Oh, and by the way, did you install HP's drivers? You can run the monitor with Microsoft's generic ones with very good results, but HP's generate even better colors imho. Even after having had the monitor for 2 month+ I still relish the awesome colors and detail.

By the way, someone on a thread entitled Samsung 226 vs HP 2207 is trying to mighty trash this monitor. I am no partisan to any monitor, not even my w2207, but am finding that the fellow's ranting spews stuff that's totally untrue for the average number of monitors that people have on this thread. None of us said anything comparable to his ranting. Yeah, there were some lesser monitors to be sure, but what batch or label doesn't have some? I am not into getting sabers crossed, just making an observation.

been using this monitor for about 2 months now. and i have not any of the problems that i am heraring about link the pinkish text. my text looks as white as snow and clear too. so far far i am very happy with this unit. i must also mention that i have not added software that came with the unit. and so far so good.;)

By the way, someone on a thread entitled Samsung 226 vs HP 2207 is trying to mighty trash this monitor. I am no partisan to any monitor, not even my w2207, but am finding that the fellow's ranting spews stuff that's totally untrue for the average number of monitors that people have on this thread. None of us said anything comparable to his ranting. Yeah, there were some lesser monitors to be sure, but what batch or label doesn't have some? I am not into getting sabers crossed, just making an observation.
He most likely took ownership of a defective w2207 and obviously is very troubled about it. Or possibly had a mistuned model and was confounded with the adjustments. Either way, there are enough w2207 owners who are more than satisfied with their monitor that negates the position that the w2207 is ‘crap’.

As determined is his opinion is on how lousy the w2207 is, I am equally resolute that I purchased the best monitor (the w2207) in its class (i.e. 22” TN panel monitors).

My wish is to keep this thread a constructive one (we have been doing very well so far), so I am glad that this individual chose to take his concerns to another thread. I thank him for that.

OK, I decided to play guinea pig for you. I installed version 1.2 on Vista Enterprise.

After my first reboot, it automatically launched the calibration wizard in full screen. I clicked through the first prompt and....nothing. The screen didn't change and no new prompt appeared. I used CtrlAltDel to get access to the shutdown menu and rebooted. Sounds bad so far...

However, when I re-entered Windows it did not launch the Wizard automatically. I went into the software, played with all the settings, and even ran the Wizard again, and it all worked perfectly. Haven't noticed any problems so far. After using the calibration tools, I noticed that the factory default has a blue tint to it, so I corrected that. The auto-pivot feature works too. So far I'm pleased.

Thanks, guinea-pig, errr... I mean tony-kun. :)

So you can use all the features of the MyDisplay (after the initial hiccup)? I'm especially happy to hear about the panel rotation fix. I would like to use this feature when I'm writing essay's. Guess I'll have to download the new rev. and give it a try.

Thanks again!

Just one quick question:

Can someone put the monitor into "game" mode and tell me if he/she is able to read the top part of this webpage? e.g. the letters "User CP" etc. et al? I have a major purple fringe around each of those letters in everything but the "text" mode...

Then my unit must be faulty. Text is utterly unreadable in game mode or any mode other than "text" mode. And text mode is somewhat "washed" out. Kind of hard to explain, but the blacks in game mode and movie mode are very close to real black and in "text" mode they're light gray. No matter if i put the brightness down to zero or contrast down to zero, they never look right. Played with the color settings and brightness/contrast all day yesterday and can't get it to display it correctly. Even tried the factory reset and it's just not working. Now i have to debate with myself if i take this one back and eat the 15% restocking fee or replace it with a identical unit or take the Samsung 226.... Darn.

Another question: When set to sRGB, the display has a very "yellowish" tint to it. 6500K is not nearly as warm colored as sRGB. Once i set it to sRGB, i can't adjust the brightness or contrast anymore...is that normal? Also, the color option is unusable in any mode other than "text". Again, is that normal?

Great post Mansize and you have my total agreement. I more than agree that he's probably come across a defective monitor or badly adjusted from out of the box and has not caught up yet to the "art" of configuring and adjusting. Indeed, we're doing super in this thread.

ScYcS: I also tried the monitor on game setting and had no problems. In fact, none of the QuickView adjustments in there are causing any problems. I am finding that for me at least Custom, without any changes in color adjustments, work best folowed by Text.

I had to return my monitor. The purple fringing was just unbearable.

Even worse thing: The display model at my local CircuitCity had exactly the same problem (confirmed it while i was returning it). There must be a bad batch or something wrong with some of them to have this irritating purple/pink letter fringing in all modes except "text". It's especially visible in the upper left hand browser corner, where it says [H]ardForum. It was barely readable.

Anyways, i returned it and got the Samsung 226BW. Made sure i got the "S" panel of course. I'll miss the 1:1 pixel mapping, but it's not as important as the color desaster on the HP was. I also picked up the Huey calibration device and i have to say that I'm impressed.

Long story short, the HP would've been nice (i like glossy screens) with it's 1:1 pixel mapping and pivoting feature and nice stand. Unfortunately for HP though, there was something utterly wrong with my unit and with the one on display at CC so that i didn't take the risk of buying it again.

What do you think of the Samsung 226BW then, ScYcS? How does it compare to the HP's counter-part, apart from the obvious text issues which you mentioned earlier?

Yeah,

It may happen that you had a unit from a bad batch here. This is a matter of QC for HP to deal with. Couldn't they see it? Of course, it may be the panel's manufacturer's QC that's faulty, but it may also be that something went bad during manufacturing of the adjacent electronics that drive the panel. Still, the monitor being a system of parts its integrity must be controlled by the final manufacturing process which is HP's.

I did not get the Samsung 226 because of its minimal ergonomic endowments and complaints about panel lottery. Well, at least I got a good w2207 which I am very satisfied with.

Mansize, how's yours coming along?

What do you think of the Samsung 226BW then, ScYcS? How does it compare to the HP's counter-part, apart from the obvious text issues which you mentioned earlier?

Honestly, i can't complain. The HP would've been a lot more ergonomic (better stand, height adjustments) and had some nice features (1:1 pixel mapping), but it really came down to picture quality and that's where the Samsung simply is better right now. Of course, not being able to compare to a non-faulty unit makes this highly subjective.

Overall I think a non faulty HP would look just as good or even better than the Samsung. For gaming btw, it's strange but the Samsung feels a LOT smoother (not talking about lag per se, but movement in the game just "feels" smoother).

For those who would like to know what kind of panel is actually in the w2207, it is a Samsung LTM220M1 TN panel. At least this one was. Took it to work with the intention to take it apart to see, went to lunch,came back, and one of our good techs had already done it. I don't even know how he got it apart. Browsing the web with these numbers they wrote down, found this site which seems to confirm this.
You can type in a make and it will list them all out. http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
Must be the HP electronics that make it so very nice as well. Wish they would have taken pictures. Oh well.

Honestly, i can't complain. The HP would've been a lot more ergonomic (better stand, height adjustments) and had some nice features (1:1 pixel mapping), but it really came down to picture quality and that's where the Samsung simply is better right now. Of course, not being able to compare to a non-faulty unit makes this highly subjective.

Overall I think a non faulty HP would look just as good or even better than the Samsung. For gaming btw, it's strange but the Samsung feels a LOT smoother (not talking about lag per se, but movement in the game just "feels" smoother).

Well sorry to hear about the problems you've had with the screen. Who knows what happened to the batch that CC received. Hopefully this isn't a huge problem since the HP's are great screens.

Well as long as you're happy with your screen welcome to the Widescreen crowd and enjoy your stay ;)

God was I having problems with my display and computer...all because of HP My Display. Thank you guys for pointing out that HP My Display was the culprit. I was on the phone with HP India for about an hour...the tech took control of my computer (as I watched him, didn't look like he knew what he was doing)...he finally came up with the conclusion that software I had (Nero, AnyDVD, Spybot & AVG) was where the problem was and asked me to uninstall them. (Prior to this...they had me unplug the monitor and re-insert the video card - I have an HP pre-configured system).

Needless to say...they don't know jack about their own softwares/hardwares. Frustrated I restored windows and started all over (installing what they asked to uninstall) leaving out HP My Display (even with the upgraded software from HP I still had problems). Everything is peachy now. No more flickering, the menu stays up and doesn't close on its own, it doesn't take 5 seconds for the context menu to pop up on the desktop and just overall speedy. I was about to return the system this morning actually, but am glad to say that I'm keeping it.

Oh, by the way, the Monitor is Awesome!

Thank you for the information Loosenut, I always thought all current 22" LCDs on the market used the ChiMei panel, but it seems this is not so! I had a Samsung 712N 17" LCD before, and loved the picture quality of the samsung panel inside, so I'm happy to see that the W2207's (at least some of them) are using Samsung panels. From the website in your post, I see the older Samsung 225BW uses this Samsung LTM220M1 panel as well. After about 1.5months of ownership, I'm still very happy with my W2207. My dad got a W1907 too (19" incher). I would get a 24" LCD, but the 1920x1200 res is a bit too much for my poor eyesight, so I plan on using this W2207 for a long time until I can perhaps get a 37" with 1080p. Bummer on the 1yr warranty though, kinda makes me regret not getting that Circuit City 3yr protection plan, lol. ;)

hi there

i don't think this has been mentioned before but for those in the UK you can get the w2207from Comet (RK282AA) for the regular £229 minus £30 with promo code HPTFT30, found here:
http://imrgoodbuy.co.uk/taxonomy/term/37/0

i don't think you can do better in the UK at the moment. if you live close to a store then you can just reserve it and pick up, saving delivery cost as well.

for £200 this is a cracking monitor.

one strange thing though. when i started up with the new screen everthing was ok with my old samsung 181T settings (1280x1024). setting to native res reduced brightness to such low levels that the w2207 settings could not compensate, even on max. i needed to set nvidia control panel (8800gts on vista) up from zero to 50% brightness, contrast and gamma, and then the w2207 to 60% brightness and contrast to get reasonable image quality. i've never needed to play with the control panel settings before. anyone else had similar probs?

cheers
rosco

Man, i had no idea about that promo code; i went and paid full price for it. Ah well, i couldn't be happier with it. It's well worth the price if you ask me.

hey guys how does this monitor compare to a samsung 226bw S panel, anyone try both?

They're the same panel, difference is the coating and the Samsung having overdrive technology, making it 2ms instead of 5ms.

oh. so I wonder why those still questing for an S panel in the 226bw thread don't just buy a 2207? Is there really a noticeable difference in games from 5ms to 2ms i wonder.

oh. so I wonder why those still questing for an S panel in the 226bw thread don't just buy a 2207? Is there really a noticeable difference in games from 5ms to 2ms i wonder.

Well, a lot of people also don't like the glossy coating.

No it is not the same panel, not even close

I've had both and you can't even tell the 226bw S panel is 6bit, I think it may even be an 8bit TN panel.

The blacks are blacker on the S panel and the gamma is set to be lighter too. The w2207 uses the 225bw panel supposedly...

No it is not the same panel, not even close

I've had both and you can't even tell the 226bw S panel is 6bit, I think it may even be an 8bit TN panel.

The blacks are blacker on the S panel and the gamma is set to be lighter too. The w2207 uses the 225bw panel supposedly...

You've been the one guy in this forum that bought a w2207, then a 226BW, then a w2207 again, bitching about every single one of them. And no, the Samsung is not a 8 bit panel. As far as i can see (and if the posts would still exist from a couple days ago, everybody would be able to see) you know Jack about both monitors and monitors in general. Heck you even disregarded a Spyder2 as garbage because you didn't like the picture it gave you....holy schmoly.

Back