The NVIDIA VR Fun House Experience @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The NVIDIA VR Fun House Experience - The NVIDIA VR Fun House is a little more than a "normal" tech video from the GPU company. This one you get to use the HTC Vive and participate in rather than being stuck on the sidelines watching all the fun. Let's face it, anytime you get to destroy stuff with pistols and hammers, it's a good day.

VR is not really that exciting to me, but AR is. I know that they work hand in hand but I think AR is really where the future is going to be, just look at how popular the Pokemon Go shit is.

That being said, I look forward to seeing some VR stuff being tested that puts AMD vs Nvidia to see how the two companies are able to compete in that space since all of that is still developing.

Thank you for the details on your experience Kyle!

Is simultaneous multi projection (or whatever its called) working?

I look forward to trying this. So far I've really enjoyed the VR tech demos that are out and an glad to see more and more content releasing!

Suck I don't see the option to reverse eyes. I'm used to watch this with crossed-eyes but this video use parallel viewing. Oh well, looks cool nonetheless.

I believe it's driver level enabled but the developer needs to incorporate it in their respective applications.
Obviously this is an ad for nvidia hardware so it's bound to work on nvidia hardware seeing the menu actually has an SLI option.

The demo looked really cool! In VR when I get mad and flip off the game I can now see it!

Last edited:
VR is not really that exciting to me, but AR is. I know that they work hand in hand but I think AR is really where the future is going to be, just look at how popular the Pokemon Go shit is.

That being said, I look forward to seeing some VR stuff being tested that puts AMD vs Nvidia to see how the two companies are able to compete in that space since all of that is still developing.

Ugh! Pokemon go??? Screw that! I will take VR over AR ANY day of the week! It sounds to me like you haven't tried the Vive or Rift yet....

Very good video! Smooth and flowing vocally and visually.

Now does it really takes two 1080's in SLI to run this demo? How will a single 1070 perform if even possible? A 1080? etc. Talking about a rather expensive solution.

I am very glad Nvidia show case possibilities. The physics actually look like something very useful in this demo vice some of the crap previously over done or exaggerated. While balloons dissolving into a thousand pieces is unrealistic it is actually done rather in a fun way it looks.

Any Demo's from AMD dealing with VR? Since that is one of AMD's marketing jests.

Now having that level of interaction, physics and rendering in VR would really be worth it for me to invest in if there was games on that level. Impressive!

noko - The balloons are filled with confetti.

The demo is VERY demanding, and NVIDIA did this purposefully in order to be able to simply showcase what CAN be done. We are doing more testing with more VR games now.

I don't know of anything from AMD on the VR front. I am not sure if AMD really has the resources to do something like that. Here are some of the games we are testing.

Fantastic Contraption

The Gallery Ep. 1

HordeZ

Hover Junkers

Job Simulator

Out of Ammo

Project Cars

Tilt Brush

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR

Raw Data

Right on man, this is some rather cool stuff! Then Nvidia is right on exposing what can be done with VR even though pushing what is affordable for most it shows a clear picture what can be done. This is also I believe why Nvidia does so well in the end by pushing the limits and brings excitement to this field.

Ugh! Pokemon go??? Screw that! I will take VR over AR ANY day of the week! It sounds to me like you haven't tried the Vive or Rift yet....
Pretty much no one outside of niche hardware forums have, as it has a $2K+ entry fee and requires fairly extensive computer knowledge to set up and operate.

AR games like Pokemon Go however, are massively accessible. There's a reason why I saw a dozen people from different walks of life, income levels, ages and cultures all wandering around the park searching for Pokemons on my home from work today, while the only guy I know with a Vive is a software engineer who makes six figures. The poster you quoted said AR is going to be the future, and he's right. Unlike VR, AR interests the masses and is reachable by the masses. You can bet the multi-billion dollar success of Pokemon Go is going to spawn an entire AR mobile gaming genre - I can't really say the same about say, Hover Junkers. Or those VR archery games.

An $800 headset hooked up to a $1,500 gaming rig just doesn't have the same mainstream appeal as a fun little AR Nintendo game that you can play with your kids, and you can witness that mass appeal by simply walking down the street in any city in America right now.

Kyle, if you ever get the chance, try Adrift, I think it's playable on the Vive again. I'm still using a DK2, so NVRFHE is a no go, however even the crap resolution and SDE of the DK2 doesn't take away from a good VR experience - even bad ones can still have wow!! moments. It's winter here in Aus, so I have the DK2 in my lounge running off a 2700K @a modest 4.2 and an original Titan with the bare 8gig of ram. DK2 being only 19x10(really960x1080 x 2) definitely helps with the lower specs but I feel the CV1s 21x12(1080x1200 twice) isn't beyond the 2700k/Titan. My point is, some here who are interested in VR and having a dedicated rig for it, could put together something from older bits they have 'laying around'. I do agree however, for most it is still very cost prohibitive, then there's....the headsets. Hopefully VR gains enough traction that down the road we have headsets no more cumbersome than a pair of large sunnies, fully wireless with good sound. For now, hopefully enough here take the plunge and share a bit - VR and its development is easily [H]....

Hmm, demo has buttons for 1060, 1080, and 1080SLI. No 1070 button suggests product does not fit into a specific VR quality level; if doing VR, one should look to 1060 or 1080 solutions. Even if that is not the case, this demo suggests that. How hard would it have been to put in a button for the 1070 and 1070SLI even if the quality settings are very similar or even the same as the 1060 or 1080 buttons. That is a marketing fail to me. Demo does look good technically, however.

Hmm, demo has buttons for 1060, 1080, and 1080SLI. No 1070 button suggests product does not fit into a specific VR quality level; if doing VR, one should look to 1060 or 1080 solutions. Even if that is not the case, this demo suggests that. How hard would it have been to put in a button for the 1070 and 1070SLI even if the quality settings are very similar or even the same as the 1060 or 1080 buttons. That is a marketing fail to me. Demo does look good technically, however.
Following your thinking it should have buttons for 1060, 1070, 1070 SLI, 1080, and 1080 SLI? Not sure that is the way to go when basically the buttons suggest, Low, Medium, and High settings to me.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR would be amazing. Game is gorgeous and it's a must play. I still feel like I would want to walk around (In reality) to fully experience this type of game.

Read the pdf, if you have two cards it defaults to one rendering and the other as a PhysX card. Not sure if you can configure it for straight SLI manually. With three cards it will default with 2 for SLI and one for PhysX. Now who would put in 3 1080's when you can only SLI 2? I guess if you have a spare 980Ti that will do just fine for the PhysX card.

I am wondering how the low, medium and high quality differences look and play? I guess with the 1070 you pick which one works best Low or Medium, a highly OC 1070?

Now I am interested in how the 1060 would perform, how it would look and how good or not the physics will be with the 1060?

Is VR just a stepping stone to hyper AR? I think Pokemon GO shoes just how much people wanted something that uses tech and gets them outside. Imagine being able to do something like CoD in a forest with a bunch of friends as you run around. You hold a fake "orange gun" and when you look at it you see the gun like a shotgun (e.g.). But on the same token you see your friends and they are dressed upon in military garb or some swanky outfit. Heck ,this would even allow things like "stealth" to work. The VR system gives you the 3D we expect and AR might give you the outdoor environment that a traditional game never could.

Secondarily, could the [H] make a possible guide on "getting into VR" for the enthusiast. What size room, how to layout the room for both "private use" and "group use"?

See for me i like VR. In VR the entire world can be a fake digital one, so it can be anything you want it to be without the limitations of the real world, while AR is using the real world+computer graphics. Unless i am thinking wrong. Yeah the pokemon go AR is a neat novelty, but i personally turned it off after a while because i felt dumb moving my phone all over the place trying to locate a pokemon whereas with it off its right there in front of you.

I would have expected 1060, 1070 and 1080 buttons. Jumping from 1060 to 1080 and then 1080 SLI seems odd. AFAIK I don't think the Vive even supports SLI?

Nice video though!
NVIDIA's VR Fun House does support SLI and dedicated PhysX card.

I am talking to AMD and NVIDIA to see if there are in mGPU titles out there that we might be using. Trying to save some time going through all the games.

You can watch the video in 3D cross-eyed

If you cross your eyes, you will be seeing the inverse of what you should be seeing (IE - things that should be popping out to you get "sucked in"). If you do the reverse of cross-eyes (honestly - I have no idea what it's called), then you'll see it correctly. If you've ever looked at Magic Eye then you'll know what I'm talking about. All those years of giving myself the ability to focus my eyes manually has paid off! :D

Nintendo's AR game is causing scenes like this, while 95% of consumers have never even heard of a Vive.

One of those two technologies seems like a novelty to me, and it's not AR. Once again, Nintendo sets standards while other game devs chase trends.
Most people i play with including me turn off the AR feature after a few uses. Its cool to see them in the real world but its a novelty. Those people running around are just playing the game, some could have AR turned off and some could have it on. BTW it makes the game so much easier with it off and you dont have to look like a doofus aiming your phone everywhere

Interesting demo. But honestly it looks like a lot of what they are showcasing could have been removed to give a very similar experience.
After reading the pdf and having to 'look' for what is being showcased, it doesn't seem worth the hardware requirements demanded.
Things like the hair, and detail of goo? Great effects, but not needed for fun or vr experience, especially when you have to go out of your way to explain the technology.

Played this demo with a 980ti . . . works great on low and ok on medium level (one level had a rate issue) . I believe each level increases the fidelity and amount of physics going on. (ie one level had bounce, braking objects, gravity etc . . but the next quality level added cloth physics and more fidelity of the braking objects - I could not get to high) . . also I believe you can change the sampling for better resolution (have not played too much with that yet) So quite allot for your system to do real time.

All in all cool. Most of this is normally faked or animated in allot of games to keep overhead down. Nice to have a demo really pushing the limits on multiable fronts.
I am amazed at all the hate on the steam discussions. It is what it is a demo pushing the limits of what is possible with there cards. (ie no they are not EXPECTING you to have 3 1080s?!?!?)

Nintendo's AR game is causing scenes like this, while 95% of consumers have never even heard of a Vive.

One of those two technologies seems like a novelty to me, and it's not AR. Once again, Nintendo sets standards while other game devs chase trends.

Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a free app that runs on cellphones which 90% of the population of the world owns. It also has nothing to do with the fact that it's based on one of the most popular franchises of all time in the 90s and is piggybacking off very intense nostalgia that most kids in their 20s would have right now. By the way, Nintendo didn't create Pokemon Go, someone else did because Nintendo doesn't believe mobile games are profitable.

I did not realize that was your case. Looks better on person for sure.

Wow, sweet case, never even heard of it before. $1500, wow. Maybe it's more, saw prices as much as $2500.
Yeah cannot even find them to purchase. InWin found me one in their caverns in Taiwan. We will mod this for the Vanilla Ice Project Season 7 - in the meantime I am just taking it around to showcase the chassis, [H] style. Will be at CPULAN (CPU Magazine's first LAN party) in September. Hmmm, maybe Kyle can get me some [H] swag to sport there . . . . ;)

Back