cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to anonymous sources, the next Amazon headquarters tentatively called "HQ2" will be located in two cities. The same source has listed Dallas, Long Island City in New York and Arlington near Washington, D.C. as possible finalists. An estimated 50,000 people will be hired to fill positions at the new location(s.) "'Amazon is going where it won't have to jostle with Google and Facebook as much as it would in San Francisco or it does in Seattle,' said Alex Snyder, analyst at CenterSquare Investment Management near Philadelphia." 20 cities were announced as finalists earlier this year and anonymous sources say Crystal City, Virginia is in advanced talks to secure a winning bid.

The HQ2 split also could help Amazon ease the same degree of congestion and jump in costs of living that led to unrest in Seattle. An affordable housing crisis there prompted the city council to adopt a head tax on businesses in May, which Amazon helped overturn in a subsequent city council vote.

I'm just glad it isn't Denver. It isn't built to handle the current population, let alone the influx this would bring.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Everything I'm reading says Crystal City and Long Island City as finalists. Crystal Ciy makes a ton of sense, given you can't get much closer to the Pentagon. Long Island City...well, it's not "the" city, but neither is anything else in Queens.

Unless the Dallas is a misprint .. wouldn't that be HQ2 & HQ3? I don't consider headquarters you can't easily travel between as the same HQ. 10min down the road? Sure. 3hr+ flight? Not quite.

Unless the Dallas is a misprint .. wouldn't that be HQ2 & HQ3? I don't consider headquarters you can't easily travel between as the same HQ. 10min down the road? Sure. 3hr+ flight? Not quite.

That's normal. You have the global HQ, plus individual division HQs scattered throughout. I work on Long Island, our Division HQ is in Clifton, and our global HQ is in Melbourne. Other Division HQs are in California, Texas, and England. You typically don't want multiple facilities too close to eachother; you want to spread them out over a larger geographic area.

So basically an HQ next the pentagon, Washingtonpost, and Amazon’s data services. The other HQ is close to all the media services and talent. Makes sense to me

Just look at where Bezos owns homes...that is where the next HQ will be.

I'm just glad it isn't Denver. It isn't built to handle the current population, let alone the influx this would bring.

I disagree. And demand a name change.

Denver would adapt and change, infrastructure would get built and new housing would be built...somewhere, maybe even vertically.

It seems like these cities would be pretty pissed that they negotiate a deal for a single massive HQ and then Amazon says they only get half of what they expected. I'd cut whatever incentives that were offered in half or eliminate them entirely. Let Amazon go somewhere else.

I disagree. And demand a name change.

Denver would adapt and change, infrastructure would get built and new housing would be built...somewhere, maybe even vertically.

I was rooting for Denver but acknowledge traffic is already a nightmare and regardless of Amazon it only seems to be getting worse.

That's normal. You have the global HQ, plus individual division HQs scattered throughout. I work on Long Island, our Division HQ is in Clifton, and our global HQ is in Melbourne. Other Division HQs are in California, Texas, and England. You typically don't want multiple facilities too close to eachother; you want to spread them out over a larger geographic area.

I think you missed his point. Does your work claim to only have 2 HQ buildings? Do you consider the Texas office and England office to be the same building / location? If they split the location and have an office building in Dallas and one in NY city that isn't one HQ building, that is two new HQ buildings.

Detroit would be great

land would be cheap. Not many places where 20 square blocks would cost you $100 to purchase.

I was rooting for Denver but acknowledge traffic is already a nightmare and regardless of Amazon it only seems to be getting worse.

There are already too many people on the ski slopes, dont need any more.

^With more influx of folks hitting the slopes, this would be a great opportunity to expand on rail services to and from that area, maybe even over to steamboat springs...
I can't be the only person wanting a feasible, easy alternative to get up and back while avoiding the mess that I 70 is. (285 on over to Breckenridge is my main sunny day route....but from Eire, thats a long ass haul)

Don't know how they left Seattle for Lic. Prices are nearly the same as Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, for real estate. Unless they got some crazy deal, or they just wanted a presence on the east coast, it doesn't make much sense.

Back