The newer BES Express on SBS03?

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
Has anyone installed the newer web based BES Express on SBS03? I've done a few installs of the earlier version, and checking with RIMs docs, SBS03 is listed as supported, but I'm just looking for any "gotchas" someone may have encountered.

I have installed on Server 2003 R2, but not sbs yet. I will be doing one in the near future i think

As far as I know there shouldn't be any "gotchas", other then the normal BES ones. (IE setup the BESadmin right etc...)

Never had issues with bes on any SBS platform. Unless the ip has a 0 as an octet. Such as 192.168.0.1. Bes hates that 0.

Never had issues with bes on any SBS platform. Unless the ip has a 0 as an octet. Such as 192.168.0.1. Bes hates that 0.

Is that specific to the new BES Express version? I've done approx 1/2 dozen prior version installs, and I'd say 1/2 of them were on 192.168.0.xxx...and the one I'm having to do the next install on with the new version is also. /ack

Is that specific to the new BES Express version? I've done approx 1/2 dozen prior version installs, and I'd say 1/2 of them were on 192.168.0.xxx...and the one I'm having to do the next install on with the new version is also. /ack

So far for me, its been only BES 5 that has the 0 octet problem. RIM has a sql script that will fix it

I was going to install it on SBS03 but instead I got a cheap Dell PE T110 and put Server 2008 Standard on it to run the BES Express.

And I am using 192.168.207.x with no problems.

k1pp3r what was the issue you ran into with the .0.?

You receive erro 5305 in the event log (however all services are started), when you try to sync a phone you get an error about "attributes could not be read from the device"

The fix is to enable legacy profile support, wipe out the MAPI profiles and recreate them. It works after that

Here is the BES Document i used to fix the issue http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB19074

I have had it on the latest version too, started on 2008 enterprise server, ended up rebuilding the thing and ripping my hair out. It was luck that I found it, whole weekend of the company MD demanding his blackberry working. Joyful time indeed.

I will post a link to the KB article tomorrow morning when I'm in the office. Since I'm sure I edited some registry keys rather than the SQLfile.
Best of luck though StoneCat!

yes works fine, just follow the video on teh site =)

That has always been the key with bes. Follow the instructions to the letter when possible.

Anyway I haven't messed with the new version of bes with the cabled activation for sbs. I've been talking clients out of it getting them to get activesync compatable phones. RIM really dropped the ball with sbs08 support and by the time they were ready to support it running on the sbs box we had a few clients that went to different phones.

Anyway is this a new sbs03 install or an existing server? I've seen a lot of issues loading the old versions on the sbs 03 server in the past. Really was a I'll come in to your office this weekend and see if we can get it setup for you type of thing.

I am pretty sure we have installed BES on a 192.168.0.x network without any problems.

Most of ours are 192.168.10.x.

Like said just follow the video they posted on the site, maybe 1 hour worth of work time of waiting restarting server, etc. Very easy, just remember to tell clients they can drop plan down to the BIS plan if they want to activate via cable. This was a thing our clients liked, instant saving of $15/month and $100/user for licensing and service. Plug em in 1x on server, activate and good to go.

I am pretty sure we have installed BES on a 192.168.0.x network without any problems.

Most of ours are 192.168.10.x.

Like said just follow the video they posted on the site, maybe 1 hour worth of work time of waiting restarting server, etc. Very easy, just remember to tell clients they can drop plan down to the BIS plan if they want to activate via cable. This was a thing our clients liked, instant saving of $15/month and $100/user for licensing and service. Plug em in 1x on server, activate and good to go.

Can you still to an over the air if you have the bes service on the phone?

What he said. People ate cheap these year, but I have to say blackberry still king at exchange sync

Issue.....installed the new version 5 on clients SBS03, up and running. This same SBS box had the prior version of BES, the freebie small version..4.1 or 4.7 or whatever, with just 1 user on it. Uninstalled that, reboot, install latest version 5, reboot, logged in, added that 1 user from before. I sent her an e-mail activation...but she never had to run through the enterprise activation on her BB Torch...right away it started synching just fine. I was like.."Wow..figured you'd have to run through the enterprise activation again...but cool"

Now...I added the 9 new users, they receive the password e-mail. They go to their new BB Curves...and run through the enterprise activation setup..but it keeps asking for a 3rd field..."Server Address". :confused:

Some quick Googling shows many people getting confused by this, and it seems to be related to activating the BBs over the corporate WiFi..where you'd type in the address of the server the BES is running on. Fine...but we're not using wireless..just bypass that, leave it empty. Problem is, they don't activate...they seem to keep demanding that the server address field be entered.

Ideas___?

not sure exactly why, but I always put in the remote.domain.com as the server address since i use SBS.
Not sure it maybe logs into the mailbox to pull the data file out for itself or something but it always worked for me.

I've never seen that "server address" field on a BB before when doing enterprise activation, I (and many clients that I've setup) always just had to enter their e-mail address, and the password that was generated and sent to their mailbox by the BES add-user routine.

My question to your post above...how is the phone authenticating to the users mailbox to pull that dat file? If the phone traveled over the BB cloud to the remote.servername.com....it would need to authenticate to the users mailbox via OWA...domain username/pw. But that's if you do the internet/OWA setup. BES, in my experience, never did that. I've never seen that 3rd field before when running through the enterprise mail setup on a BB before..it was always just the users e-mail addy, and the password from the BES add-user activation process.

Google points to many threads over on various BB forums..some say the phones are incorrectly on the BIS plan instead of the BES plan. I had the office manager check with her cell phone vendor, he said they're indeed on the BES plan.

I have only seen that when plan is not on bes. Call one of the users. If on att make sure it has EDGE or 3G in caps if not it is not on BES. Same with verizon should be in all caps. Have them pull the battery and check again

If not use the free support to rim

I have only seen that when plan is not on bes. Call one of the users. If on att make sure it has EDGE or 3G in caps if not it is not on BES. Same with verizon should be in all caps. Have them pull the battery and check again

If not use the free support to rim

That's 1/2 my hunch too...even though the sales dude they went through at the local cell store swears it is on BES. Although I don't recall seeing that "server address" field come up when prior users found they weren't on BES...it just fails to start syncing.

Think that's on new version where it asks for server. Sync off server via cable they can save save some bucks.

What cell provider?

That's 1/2 my hunch too...even though the sales dude they went through at the local cell store swears it is on BES. Although I don't recall seeing that "server address" field come up when prior users found they weren't on BES...it just fails to start syncing.

Have the cell provider reactivate the phone. Even if they are on the BES plan it might not mean the phone is configured for it. I've seen a few times in the past where someone is paying for the BES plan but the phone is setup incorrectly.

Think that's on new version where it asks for server. Sync off server via cable they can save save some bucks.

What cell provider?

Verizon
It's really impractical for them to activate over teather....10x nurses out in the field. Should really be working over BES...gotta find out what the issue is.

Granted it's the first time I've setup BES 5....I did all defaults, just like the prior version. Default policy and all that stuff should work fine, install, add users....send that e-mail, users should open e-mail, type in e-mail and password in phones and activate over the air.

should be fine, you gotta get a phone in your hand, make sure it has the capital 3G.

You get 1 free support case with every BES you download. you need to register on the site first, but then you can call

Just looked on some hand sets here.
They all ask for "activation server address" when on BIS accounts. NOT BES.
I would phone the mobile supplier up and get them to resync them to make sure.
Or try putting in the server address above and see if it works.

G

Wow.... never had the .0. problem... and my domain starts at 10.0.0.1 and goes to 10.0.0.255 :)

Shit, I'm installig BES next week on our SBS2008, and have a 192.168.0.x address. Is this an issue on 2008 or just 2003?

Back