The new cream of the crop?

FlangeMonkey

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I haven't taken my own advice of "not waiting sometimes" and this is defiantly one of those times. I was waiting for the Desire S as I was wanting to go down the Android route. However the Desire S for me has been a let down. Its seems like the same old phone, but with more memory and other phones are now sporting dual core processors.

There are a ton of new phones coming out soon and I'm not wanting a big screen so I'm looking for under 4" and 3.7" seems about bang on.

So, do I wait to take a look at the Samsung Mini S2, iPhone 5, etc.

I was wanting to steer away from iPhones, but I starting to rethink on this.

What are peoples thoughts, on the new phones just starting to come onto the market? Whats the new cream of the crop?

Thanks,

Wait till end of the summer. There are a bunch of new phones that are suppose to come out around that time.

This season was pretty lackluster.

Also, I would wait for the iPhone 5 so that they can set the industry benchmark again.

September is a long way off.

Do we know what the expected release date is for the iPhone 5?

Oh I forgot to mention, my iPhone 3G died on me the other day, so I don't want to wait this long.

Also, I would wait for the iPhone 5 so that they can set the industry benchmark again.

Industry benchmark with what? Waiting 3 years to give users copy/paste? Half-assed multi-tasking that "was done right"? Crap quality cameras? A quality antenna?

@FlangeMonkey

Thunderbolt and Atrix are cream of the crop right now as those are the flagship phones. Droid Bionic and Droid Charge on the way. Then there's the Droid X2, Droid Incredible 2 and Droid 3 on the horizon as well. Also Sony Xperia Play is worth keeping an eye on.

If you want a real beast though try to wait for the HTC Pyramid. Dual-core 1.5GHz or 1.2GHz (rumor is 1.5GHz but nothing is written in stone yet as it hasn't officially been announced). 768MB RAM. April 12th will probably be the day you get full details on the Pyramid.

June is 2 months away. Many good phones come out in June supposedly.

The rumor for the iPhone5 puts it in October/November because Qualcomm's LTE/GSM/CDMA combo radio isn't ready until this summer and Apple will take a couple of months to install them into phones. iPhone5, as long as solve the antennae issue and stop using the twice-as-fail double glass panel, should be a pretty good global phone - one that I will consider if I wasn't getting the Evo 3D. But Motorola is supposedly getting the NVidia Kal-El quad-core phone in November which should be "industry standard" for 2012.

BTW, the iPhone4's performance doesn't even beat the Nexus One, so how it is "industry setting" is beyond me... RDF, I guess...

September is a long way off.

Do we know what the expected release date is for the iPhone 5?

Oh I forgot to mention, my iPhone 3G died on me the other day, so I don't want to wait this long.

We never really know what to expect from Apple:p

There have been a bunch of conflicting rumors, some are saying the iPhone 5 won't be annoucned at WWDC this year for a June release and are saying that it'll be pushed back for an August, for Fall release. Then there are other rumors saying that it will be annouced at WWDC for a june release All of the sources of these rumors (both for june or fall release) are good sources that been right on the money in the past thats why it's so hard to discern when it will be released atm.

What carrier are you with? If it HAS to be right now and if it HAS to be android I would wait for the Incredible 2 (coming to vzw iirc). If not try out WM7 and see if you like them. They have a couple of quirks but I'm sure it will become a solid platform pretty soon. My personal suggestion would be the iPhone 4 since imo it's arguably still the best phone around.

BTW, the iPhone4's performance doesn't even beat the Nexus One, so how it is "industry setting" is beyond me... RDF, I guess...

Because most people could care less about synthetic benchmarks and more about real world useability. Something that iPhone 4 destroys the competition in.

I'm still torn, June might be possible, but Apple need to work out what there doing with there network technology choice. In my opinion, they will need to go with 3G and 4G because of the other markets out there like the UK.

for a usable phone, I don't think that 4" or 4.3" would work. Has anybody moved from 3.7" to the larger 4" or 4.3"?

Because most people could care less about synthetic benchmarks and more about real world useability. Something that iPhone 4 destroys the competition in.

and you called someone else a fanboi in another thread? wow...

I'm still torn, June might be possible, but Apple need to work out what there doing with there network technology choice. In my opinion, they will need to go with 3G and 4G because of the other markets out there like the UK.

for a usable phone, I don't think that 4" or 4.3" would work. Has anybody moved from 3.7" to the larger 4" or 4.3"?

I went from a Samsung Intercept (never again with a samsung phone) to an Evo.. I though i'd hate the size of the phone, but it took 2 weeks to not even notice it. Having the bigger screen is a huge bonus, but it's not for everybody. Fits in any pocket, and isn't too cumbersome.

you are the one who mentioned it set industry benchmarks... Like what? Single model sales? In that case, please define your fanaticism to just being another sheep.

Wait till end of the summer. There are a bunch of new phones that are suppose to come out around that time.

This season was pretty lackluster.

If steve jobs ever comes to a sudden stop...you know the rest.:rolleyes:

Industry benchmark with what? Waiting 3 years to give users copy/paste? Half-assed multi-tasking that "was done right"? Crap quality cameras? A quality antenna?

@FlangeMonkey

Thunderbolt and Atrix are cream of the crop right now as those are the flagship phones. Droid Bionic and Droid Charge on the way. Then there's the Droid X2, Droid Incredible 2 and Droid 3 on the horizon as well. Also Sony Xperia Play is worth keeping an eye on.

If you want a real beast though try to wait for the HTC Pyramid. Dual-core 1.5GHz or 1.2GHz (rumor is 1.5GHz but nothing is written in stone yet as it hasn't officially been announced). 768MB RAM. April 12th will probably be the day you get full details on the Pyramid.

Iphone camera is pretty damn good, but I agree with the rest of your post.

you are the one who mentioned it set industry benchmarks... Like what? Single model sales? In that case, please define your fanaticism to just being another sheep.

Sales figure benchmark -Apple
Ease of use -Apple
Customer satisfaction -Apple
Apps store -Apple
Apps/games functionality -Apple
Still has the highest resolution and greatest PPI -Apple (seriously it's been a year and the rest of these guys can only manage qHD and a PPI far less than the iPhone 4's? ROFL.)
Number of accessories -Apple (tell me which google phone has a telescope? or a fisheye lens attachment?)
Tech support -Apple (this one is so easy, you just take it to an Apple store can you say the say for any google variant?)
Most accurate touchscreen -Apple

I mean I could spend all day with this. But ya you, vermillion and about 90% of the rest of the people that read this subforum only care about synthetic benchmarks.. which phone has the highest mhz or most cores more most ram. All of which (with the exception of ram to a certain point) mean absoultely nothing when there isn't any software to support the hardware. Intel just came out with a 10-core xeon chip, do you think anyone outside of some huge server company could put that to use? The answer lies in the software, and to create hardware that compliments the software, something Apple has had a ton of success with (OSX is a prime example). Google hasn't figured this out yet, or maybe they have but HTC, Moto, Sony and Samsung haven't.

Iphone camera is pretty damn good, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Part of that remark was at the incredibly shitty camera's on the iPad 2. The front facing camera on the iPhone 4 though is incredibly shitty as well.

Ease of use -Apple
Apps store -Apple
Still has the highest resolution and greatest PPI -Apple (seriously it's been a year and the rest of these guys can only manage qHD and a PPI far less than the iPhone 4's? ROFL.)
Number of accessories -Apple (tell me which google phone has a telescope? or a fisheye lens attachment?)
Tech support -Apple (this one is so easy, you just take it to an Apple store can you say the say for any google variant?)

I mean I could spend all day with this. But ya you, vermillion and about 90% of the rest of the people that read this subforum only care about synthetic benchmarks.. which phone has the highest mhz or most cores more most ram. All of which (with the exception of ram to a certain point) mean absoultely nothing when there isn't any software to support the hardware. Intel just came out with a 10-core xeon chip, do you think anyone outside of some huge server company could put that to use? The answer lies in the software, and to create hardware that compliments the software, something Apple has had a ton of success with (OSX is a prime example). Google hasn't figured this out yet, or maybe they have but HTC, Moto, Sony and Samsung haven't.

Ease of use - Where's your proof?
Customer satisfaction - Will give you this one, but then again the RDF is in full effect. People still claim there is no issue with the iPhone 4 antenna. :eek:
Apps store - Where's your proof?
Apps/games functionality - Only because iOS is a more mature platform. Android only really hit its stride with version 2.0.x. Give it another few months and this item goes away. Games weren't nearly as nice as they are now on iOS after the first year either.
Still has the highest resolution and greatest PPI - iPhone 4 screen is gorgeous but qHD is gorgeous as well so I'll call this a wash because it's all up to the eye of the beholder.
Number of accessories - you're kidding right? If I wanted a fish lens or a telescope I'd buy a real one.
Tech support - I can take it to any Verizon store and have it swapped out if there are issues. the Apple "genius" bar is anything but "genius".
Most accurate touchscreen - Where's your proof?

Funny, my Thunderbolt will slaughter the iPhone 4 in any performance test you throw at me. I don't care what it is. My Thunderbolt will win. You do realize that Android 2.2 already uses multi-core technology. 2.3 is better and the rumored 2.4 is even further optimized. Pull your head out of the RDF for a few seconds next time you plan on replying.

Don't know how you can compare this to the new Intel deca-core. Any company with money can put a deca-core to use without much issue. It's called virtualization.

you have a long wait if your going to wait for iPhone 5, depending on which carrier you go with

Don't listen to [H]'s resident cool-aide drinker. The iPhone hasn't been the gold standard for some time now. They've been playing catchup the past two years hardware wise and you can go back and forth all day long about software which tells you one thing, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. You need to ask yourself what you want to do with your phone and line them up side by side and see which meets your requirements best. My cell is my only phone so call quality, reliability, and ease of use were big concerns, outside of that GPS, movies/TV, tethering, internet browsing, and gaming get used a lot. When I listed my needs the iPhone's GPS is terrible and expensive, it doesn't have flash, I'd be tied to iTunes, it didn't tether natively, the iPhone drops calls like mad, and the screen didn't show movies in their native resolution (it's already a smaller screen and black bars make it even smaller) so I dumped my iPhone for a Galaxy S and never looked back. Not everyone lists play out like that so the best thing you can do is not listen to fanbois like Mobster and make a decision based on your needs and not his.

Last edited:
Ease of use -Apple
Apps store -Apple

sure apple has high sales, that's due to 90% of the population being Sheeple and listinig to the lies they are told, i was in the apple store with a friend who had a 3gs that stopped charging thay told him that he had water damage and that he could have gotton it over a year ago and it just now started messing it up, what really happened is the small fuse inbetween the bat and charger blew. they told one couple the mac pro was the most powerful laptop, even the best at games... i doubt it, none of their computers use sandy bridge most are core2 proccesors, i find the evo screen is far better that the iphone 4 looks better, the i phone screen is nice but its to shiny and has far to much glare and becomes dirty very fast, you mention OSX if i wanted unix id get a distro of linux its better and free not that linux you pay for OSX, face it your a fanboy when that asshat steve jobs dies i wont shed a tear. also whoop de doo about the amount of apps, most of them are shit anyways, i dont need 56 fart apps and 108 lighter apps 73 gun noise apps, stupidness.

Last edited:
The only benchmark I care about:

Less douchebag/brainwashed users: Android

sure apple has high sales, that's due to 90% of the population being Sheeple and listinig to the lies they are told, i was in the apple store with a friend who had a 3gs that stopped charging thay told him that he had water damage and that he could have gotton it over a year ago and it just now started messing it up, what really happened is the small fuse inbetween the bat and charger blew. they told one couple the mac pro was the most powerful laptop, even the best at games... i doubt it, none of their computers use sandy bridge most are core2 proccesors, i find the evo screen is far better that the iphone 4 looks better, the i phone screen is nice but its to shiny and has far to much glare and becomes dirty very fast, you mention OSX if i wanted unix id get a distro of linux its better and free not that linux you pay for OSX, face it your a fanboy when that asshat steve jobs dies i wont shed a tear. also whoop de doo about the amount of apps, most of them are shit anyways, i dont need 56 fart apps and 108 lighter apps 73 gun noise apps, stupidness.

You entire post was 3 sentences, read like shit, and didn't make any sense.

You entire post was 3 sentences, read like shit, and didn't make any sense.

Ok i can understand the "You entire post was 3 sentences, read like shit" thing even if your writing was just as bad. I was not trying to write nice i was rushed and typed very quick. But tell me what part of it didn't make sense?

Galaxy S II for me as my next phone to replace my trusty nexus s, its one gorgeous piece of hardware. Once you go Super AMOLED you dont go back

Ok i can understand the "You entire post was 3 sentences, read like shit" thing even if your writing was just as bad. I was not trying to write nice i was rushed and typed very quick. But tell me what part of it didn't make sense?

Probably the part about the lies. Do you assume every Mac user is a blatant idiot that passively consumes everything the media throws at him/her?

I am very curious how you managed to classify 90% of the population as "Sheeple" who had no idea what they were purchasing and absolutely no ability to discern their options on their own.

I can easily think of similar consumers in the Windows camp who would fit in your criteria of "Sheeple". Its just simply ridiculous to point fingers and say "You must be an idiot because I see you typing on a ________. " The usage of a particular brand doesn't make one an idiot. :rolleyes:

Common anti-Apple rhetoric:

"You just listen to whatever SJ tells you to"
"You're just a sheep that buys whatever Apple makes"
"The RFD has warped your brain"
"You just drink Cool aid"

Funny thing is I've been called all of these, and I only own, and have ever only owned ONE apple product.

Common anti-Apple rhetoric:

"You just listen to whatever SJ tells you to"
"You're just a sheep that buys whatever Apple makes"
"The RFD has warped your brain"
"You just drink Cool aid"

Funny thing is I've been called all of these, and I only own, and have ever only owned ONE apple product.

Maybe because it's fitting?

You've been called out numerous times to back up your shit. You've only managed to prove that Apple sells iPhones. That's like saying water is wet.

Maybe because it's fitting?

You've been called out numerous times to back up your shit. You've only managed to prove that Apple sells iPhones. That's like saying water is wet.

I fail to see your point of how its fitting when I've only owned one apple product my entire life:rolleyes:

I've backed up whatever I said numerous times. I'm not going to sit there in each and every thread and post links to every point I make. If you care enough, google is only a click away.

I could easily call someone an android fanboi as easily as they call me an Apple fanboi but we won't really get anywhere like that.

EDIT: Btw, if anyone has kept up with my posts they would realize that I only came to all of these conclusions after having spent a full 7 months with a Flagship phone from 2010 called the HTC Incredible. As much of a proponent of Apple I am now I was equally a proponent for google and opponent of Apple before I bought an iPhone 4. It was only after I bought my iPhone 4 that I realized what a crappy OS android is and how wrong I had been the entire time. It was my mistake for selling Apple short. A jailbroken iPhone 4 with all the goodies that cydia (and installous if you play that) provides runs circles around every single aspect of anything HTC, Moto, Sony or samsung offer except LTE.

Last edited:
Probably the part about the lies. Do you assume every Mac user is a blatant idiot that passively consumes everything the media throws at him/her?

I am very curious how you managed to classify 90% of the population as "Sheeple" who had no idea what they were purchasing and absolutely no ability to discern their options on their own.

I can easily think of similar consumers in the Windows camp who would fit in your criteria of "Sheeple". Its just simply ridiculous to point fingers and say "You must be an idiot because I see you typing on a ________. " The usage of a particular brand doesn't make one an idiot. :rolleyes:

Ok look at my post again and point out where i said that 90% of people are idiots.

What i am saying is that 90% of people don't know or care about learning anything computer related and will buy something if they are in the market and are told by someone who seems to know more than them that this is a better product. Let me say this Apple spends far more money on advertisments than any company in this niche and that is what makes them sell more. One of the major areas of business is advertising and Apple does this well. They do not offer better products. I was in the Apple store while a friend was going to have his iphone 3gs checked out, they took his phone into the back area of the store then they proceeded to tell him his phone was acting the way it was due to water damage she said "the phone has been in contact with water this could have happened as far back as a year ago", now i dont know about you but im very sure water would have evaporated fairly quickly in a warm iphone a few minuets im sure and would have caused no damage. Next she told him that he would have to buy a new one because his was unrepairable, they where very quick to tell him this, and said he would have to trade his old phone in, to that he replied "why"? Next she said "well so we can refurbish it", this must have been a slip up on her part, he then said "i thought it was unrepairable?" to this she replied "yes but we don't offer this service" so we didn't say anything else and left the store with a very sour taste. while they were doing what ever it was they do i was browsing some of the computers, power mac and mac book pro, the low end power mac was $2500 and offered a socket 775 xeon processor, as i walked to the mac book pro section i caught the conversation a young couple and a Apple store rep had going "the mac book pro is the most powerful laptop ever made its even one of the best gaming laptops" he pointed at the 18"? model " this is the best bar none" after they left the area i pulled up the system hardware profiler to find it it had a i7 2.2 quad, not to shabby, and the gpu was a hd 6750 on 8X pcie lane. i have seen better. 3dmark 06 scores are and average of 7250 or so, my old Alienware laptop averages about 6850. I hope i simplified it and cleaned it up enough.

FRZ said it above, if you weren't aware of the Samsung Galaxy S II, you should check out some of the vids on Youtube. It has a dual core processor with 1 gig of memory and from vids it is smoking fast in usage. Should be coming out in the next month or two and from what I'm reading, there are many excited people worldwide highly anticipating getting this phone in their hands.

FRZ said it above, if you weren't aware of the Samsung Galaxy S II, you should check out some of the vids on Youtube. It has a dual core processor with 1 gig of memory and from vids it is smoking fast in usage. Should be coming out in the next month or two and from what I'm reading, there are many excited people worldwide highly anticipating getting this phone in their hands.

A good friend of mine has the original Galaxy S and after using it (before I got my iPhone 4) I was seriously considering upgrading to one. However, after listening to his experience with android and Samsung in particular, I don't think I'd ever consider a Samsung phone again.

The screen looked great, the phone was fast (for games at least), was light weight and had a large display but Samsung's support is absolutely ridiculous. If not for cyanogen-mod, he'd still be stuck on 2.1. He said that he's still having problems with the GPS too.

It might be a really nice phone, but if it's not going to receive updates (especially with rumors of carriers kicking phones with modified firmware off their networks), I would honestly look elsewhere.

I will never buy a samsung shit - phones, monitors, or tv's. I'd buy the iphone4 over the galaxy $ variants. Stupid ass customer service from Samsung is why I avoid its brand.

As for galaxy $ ii, wait for the HTC Sensation. Heck, wait for the iphone 5. Yes, samsung sucks. And this is from personal experience with their customer service.

P.S. Don't you just love how some people believe opinions are proof. It's like some people just have an inferiority complex that they just have to come out telling us why a certain phone is the best and all other phones are shit, so they can feel a little bit better of themselves for their purchase of a particular product. Definition of douchebags.

iphone for simplicity and android for customization and features.
That's an over-simplified statement! Both android and iOS can be as simple as you want it, just that there are far more options to simplify things with the Android. Personally, WP7 actually have the best of both Android and iOS, but it's just not popular. Heck, even webOS also have the best of Android and iOS, but I wouldn't be caught dead with webOS.

MIX is next week. I'm looking forward to the mango features. But I'm probably still going to get the HTC Evo 3D. Cause I just don't want to wait that long for Nokia (if I were to get a mango WP7, I will wait to see what Nokia does and how others will respond). I get an yearly upgrade with Sprint anyway.

That's an over-simplified statement! Both android and iOS can be as simple as you want it, just that there are far more options to simplify things with the Android. Personally, WP7 actually have the best of both Android and iOS, but it's just not popular. Heck, even webOS also have the best of Android and iOS, but I wouldn't be caught dead with webOS.

MIX is next week. I'm looking forward to the mango features. But I'm probably still going to get the HTC Evo 3D. Cause I just don't want to wait that long for Nokia (if I were to get a mango WP7, I will wait to see what Nokia does and how others will respond). I get an yearly upgrade with Sprint anyway.
No matter what way you look at it, iOS is simpler and more stable than Android.. My parents would be much happier with an iPhone than an Android phone.

I will never buy a samsung shit - phones, monitors, or tv's. I'd buy the iphone4 over the galaxy $ variants. Stupid ass customer service from Samsung is why I avoid its brand.

As for galaxy $ ii, wait for the HTC Sensation. Heck, wait for the iphone 5. Yes, samsung sucks. And this is from personal experience with their customer service.

P.S. Don't you just love how some people believe opinions are proof. It's like some people just have an inferiority complex that they just have to come out telling us why a certain phone is the best and all other phones are shit, so they can feel a little bit better of themselves for their purchase of a particular product. Definition of douchebags.

Just something to think about: Sammy already launched 2.3.3 on their Galaxy S, yet the carrier-locked ones are still on 2.1. 2.2 leaked for all the phones a long time a go, so it's obviously been ready. I wonder if the carriers really have killed Samsung when it comes to update speeds.

No matter what way you look at it, iOS is simpler and more stable than Android.. My parents would be much happier with an iPhone than an Android phone.

Unfortunately I don't care if it's easy to use for someone who is technologically retarded. There comes a point where something becomes so "easy" that it hampers productivity and iOS has been at that point since release. I'll take my unstable and hard to use OS which never gives me any problems and is very simple after a day or two of... ya know... LEARNING.

Galaxy S2 for me as long as it doesn't have a locked bootloader. Love my Captivate.

Unfortunately I don't care if it's easy to use for someone who is technologically retarded. There comes a point where something becomes so "easy" that it hampers productivity and iOS has been at that point since release.

how is it so easy to use that it hampers productivity? That statement doesn't make sense. Have you ever used an iOS device? They're probably one of the easiest (or most intuitive atleast) smartphones to use; I don't understand how that translates to being an unproductive device.

If you're really that biased against Apple, just say so. iOS has plenty of shortcomings that you can gripe about. No need to pull facts out of thin air

Back