The NEW Corsair H60 and H55 CPU Liquid Coolers Review @ [H]

I'm rockin a first gen H60 from 2011 and its still keeping everything I throw at it under control. It's been on a couple Core 2 Quads and its now on my first gen i7. I certainly can't complain.

Nice update on the cooler, happy to see [H] update these "older coolers on the new testbed.

However from the "copy paste" you mentionned I beleived this slipped in...

Page 3
Results: Temperatures

For our stock testing our Intel Core i7 4770k will be kept at 3.50 GHz with a minimal 1.05v. For overclocked CPU testing, we will be running our CPU at 4.5GHz with 1.25v. Idle temperatures will be recorded after a fifteen minute period of inactivity. Any fluctuation during the last sixty seconds will reset the timer for an additional five minutes. Load temperatures will be recorded after a fifteen minute period of 100% load. To obtain this load we will be using Prime95 v27.7. Any fluctuation during the last sixty seconds will reset the timer for an additional five minutes.

But from Test Method on page 1

Load

Load temperatures will be recorded after a twenty minute period for air cooled systems, and thirty minutes for liquid cooled systems, at 100% load. To obtain this load we will be using AIDA64 Extreme Edition v3.00.2500. This places an even greater load on the CPU than before and includes some benefits. Because the load is so extreme we see the temperature vary wildly from 72C to 86C in some instances. To get an accurate reading we will utilize AIDA64’s ability to average the temperature over time. Given twenty/thirty minutes at 100% load we arrive at a temperature that accurately represents our heatsink’s performance.

So was the new testing done with Prime or Aida?

I get better cooling with my air cooling setup then that gets with water.. wtf? :/ Guess I'll stick to my Metal wire fixed EVGA Superclocked cpu cooler with a push/pull set up at 4.4GHz.

I get better cooling with my air cooling setup then that gets with water.. wtf? :/ Guess I'll stick to my Metal wire fixed EVGA Superclocked cpu cooler with a push/pull set up at 4.4GHz.

Water doesn't magically make the cooling more efficient. IMO, one important factor is the surface area where the heat is to be dissipated into the air. Many air cooler have large heatsink which obviously have better heat dissipating capability than a small 120mm radiator.

Most custom water cooling setup use at least 3x120mm radiator which contributes to their cooling performance.

At one point we had a discussion about charts not starting at zero and how it can really skew results to appear differently.

As example, the Temperature - Stock Speed chart on page 3 makes the higher temperatures appear greater by a factor of 5 or 6 but they are really only a little more than twice as high.

I know you have to look at the numbers but charts like this is how companies that are pushing an agenda fool you with stats (especially if only two products are compared). I know that is not the purpose of this article and that [H] is unbiased, but it's worth pointing out.

If you want the bars to be relevant and show good information they need to start at 0. Making the temperature difference appear to be 5 or 6 times higher gives bad information, if anything.

If you want the bars to be relevant and show good information they need to start at 0. Making the temperature difference appear to be 5 or 6 times higher gives bad information, if anything.

Well, the way we see things, and how is spelled out exactly in the article, is that since NONE of the systems being tested are able to cool below ambient temperature as tested, we are starting at "zero."

Loved the review, you guys did a good job I think. One thing that has been killing me was waiting for these updated reviews on some of the newer mid-range AIO's. I could of REALLY used this about a year ago :mad:

But I went ahead and bought 2x H60's anyways. Couldn't be happier, love the thin rad, the quiet operation and much greater clearance of the motherboard. I loved (*sarcasm*) using tools to apply a heatsink that I wasn't sure would clear my memory or video card, or cut the shit out of my hands.

Do you have any data on the performance difference between the pre-applied thermal compound that shipped with the H60 and the Noctua compound used in the testing? I am just curious.

this new H60 looks like a no-win situation: it is so weak enough in cooling performance that can only be recommend for a lower power CPU inside a mini-ITX case, but with more rigid tubing bending the screws and getting in the way of a good CPU contact mounting it inside a mini-ITX case would be self-defeating.

If there is space to mount it, the H75 still looks like the better bang/buck on AiO

Back