The new 600 series Prescotts...

As I'm sure most of you know, Intel may be releasing 600 series Prescott based processors with 2MB of L2 cache (instead of 1MB like present cores have) early next year.

New Prescotts with 2MB of cache

All in all, this is good news for enthusiasts, because the 640 model which runs at 3.2ghz is only supposed to cost around 278 bucks..

Its also a good chance that they will be better overclockers because they will have a new stepping..

I hope to buy one of these and push it to 1066FSB on a 925XE motherboard with some DDR2-667 memory, which should also reduce in price next year..

That would be a really nice setup. The extra MB of cache with 1066FSB and DDR2-667 should easily add 15% greater performance clock for clock average over current Prescotts..

The only thing though, it may be hard to push it to 1066FSB unless you have good water cooling or phase cooling. If the new stepping is really good though, we may be able to get 266FSB on air.

Here's hoping! ;)

it depends how much OC protection the new chipsets have and how well companies get around it. though 267FSB should be very attainable on the 925xe as it is designed to run at that speed.

freecableguy said:
Ummm...probably more like 300+ FSB will be the ethusiast OC.

Yeah right... How many enthusiasts can take a 3.2ghz stock chip and take it to 4.8ghz? Only guys with liquid nitrogen could do that..

If the processors were unlocked, then I'd agree.. But, the multiplier would be stuck at 16 unless you have an engineering sample.

I thought that they will be coming out only in 1066MHz (266MHz fsb) flavours.

wallijonn said:
I thought that they will be coming out only in 1066MHz (266MHz fsb) flavours.

Yeah, thats what I thought too man, but it seems that Intel is reserving 1066 FSB for the EE models, and leaving 800 FSB mainstream..

A bit weird, because the only difference between the EEs and the mainstream will be the FSB.

EnchainedBlade said:
Yeah right... How many enthusiasts can take a 3.2ghz stock chip and take it to 4.8ghz? Only guys with liquid nitrogen could do that..

If the processors were unlocked, then I'd agree.. But, the multiplier would be stuck at 16 unless you have an engineering sample.

Look buddy...these will be 1066FSB....so 3.2Ghz/266 = 12x multiplier....so 12 x 300 = 3.6Ghz. If you can't get 3.6 out of a 3.2 you suck.

freecableguy said:
Look buddy...these will be 1066FSB....so 3.2Ghz/266 = 12x multiplier....so 12 x 300 = 3.6Ghz. If you can't get 3.6 out of a 3.2 you suck.

Umm, didn't you read the link? 1066 FSB is being reserved only for the EEs! There will be no 3.2ghz Prescotts on 1066 FSB stock! All processors up to 3.8ghz will only have 800 FSB.

I wish it were true, but unless you've got some kind of insider information, then I'd have to say you're wrong..

EnchainedBlade said:
Umm, didn't you read the link? 1066 FSB is being reserved only for the EEs! There will be no 3.2ghz Prescotts on 1066 FSB stock! All processors up to 3.8ghz will only have 800 FSB.

I wish it were true, but unless you've got some kind of insider information, then I'd have to say you're wrong..

Hmm....I've got an ES....maybe I know a little about Intel....doesn't make sense that these will be EE only as that makes Intel mainstream CPU's fall behind AMD....maybe you better be prepared for 1066Mhz FSB Prescotts early next year...

freecableguy said:
Hmm....I've got an ES....maybe I know a little about Intel....doesn't make sense that these will be EE only as that makes Intel mainstream CPU's fall behind AMD....maybe you better be prepared for 1066Mhz FSB Prescotts early next year...

I seriously hope you are correct. I agree that it doesn't make sense to have the only defining factor of the EE line a faster FSB..

But, Intel is introducing a Prescott EE based processor this year, and it will have 2MB of L2 cache and run on 1066 FSB..

Back