The Network Challenge

xphil3

[H]ard|Gawd
I posted this in the network gallery the other day and also saw it on another forum awhile back. I think it would be cool to bring to the [H] as I have seen so many threads relating to people studying for their CCNA or CCNP.

I pretty much want to see if people are interested in Network challenges, if this thread dies, well then I guess no one was interested;)

The Network Challenge would consist of:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
- The Dynamips/Dynagen/GNS3 Cisco emulator
-*Your* own Cisco IOS, Im sure that most of you can find ways to get it legally:D
- The challengers topology file(.net file)
- A network diagram with all physical and logical connections, routing domains, etc.
- A written description of what the final lab should do(IE.. establish connectivity between devices with frame relay)
- PEMU can also be used to setup security labs for the CCNA:security or CCSP material.

Labs can get as complicated as you would like, just give an accurate description of what the final topology should look like. I would like to not limit this in any way... if people would like to use vmware and add UTMs or other linux distro firewalls to their challenges that would make it a little more challenging, but I do ask that Dynamips be used in every challenge(as this is geared at helping people focus on studies).

I would really like to see this thread take off as I think it would help A LOT of individuals really understand the certifications that they are getting. With that said, I also think that this will promote Dynamips/Dynagen as great alternatives to real equipment and hopefully cut-down on all the "should I get this for my CCNA" threads.

Here are a few links that I have compiled:
http://www.dynagen.org/ - This is the front end to the Dynamips hypervisor(simulator), it also comes with both Dynamips and PEMU(Pix emulator) comiled.
http://dynagen.org/tutorial.htm - quick link to the tutorial that will explain everything.
For those that prefer visual thing:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dynagen&search_type=

My recommendations on IOS: While it is technically against policy to run Cisco code on anything other than a Cisco router, for studying purposes they really do not mind(trust me). Do what you can to get your own IOS(the legal way ofcourse, buy a router :D) as this is a requirement for the challenge.

Consider me in. I've been looking over how to setup Dynamips since Packet Tracer 5 is really lacking in hardware and IOS commands. It's definitely enough for CCNA, but CCNP and beyond and it's shite. Whatever will help me completely understand the technology is what I'm down to learn. What level of challenges are you looking to start out with? CCNA style challenges or CCNP or just compile a list of challenges specific to the exam topics and materials?

Someone I work with was telling me about a program from Cisco that emulates an entire network on a Windows desktop. It fully emulates each system and lets you configure them just like you normally would, and the changes you make have the same affect they would on real systems. I'll see if I can get the name of it. I think it's free.

i would definitely be interested in this...got my ccna exam booked for early december...i need something a bit more challenging than the labs they have you do in the networking academy!

Consider me in. I've been looking over how to setup Dynamips since Packet Tracer 5 is really lacking in hardware and IOS commands. It's definitely enough for CCNA, but CCNP and beyond and it's shite. Whatever will help me completely understand the technology is what I'm down to learn. What level of challenges are you looking to start out with? CCNA style challenges or CCNP or just compile a list of challenges specific to the exam topics and materials?
I think that the level should be variable, If you want to post a CCNP level lab relating to a topic then go right ahead. For example, if Im studying High Availability solutions at the moment I could pick a lab that is either based completely around HSRP/GLBP/VRRP or a lab that has those technologies included.

Someone I work with was telling me about a program from Cisco that emulates an entire network on a Windows desktop. It fully emulates each system and lets you configure them just like you normally would, and the changes you make have the same affect they would on real systems. I'll see if I can get the name of it. I think it's free.

This sounds like dynamips minus the fact that cisco doesn't produce the application. This challenge will be based around dynamips, which is a Cisco emulator. Dynamips is the only free Cisco emulator at this point.

I set up a mock frame relay network, would this count?

Absolutley, Almost all of my labs include either Cisco frame relay swithing or the dynamips IETF(ASNI) frame switch. This topic is covered in the CCNA and CCNP so I would say yes... post it up.

It looks like a few people are interested, but I would like to see more before we all start posting up network diagrams,descriptions, etc. This is a real oportunity for many people on these forums to really get their hands dirty with Cisco networking. I myself have done well over 100 labs that I have built in dynamips, many using the same overlay CCIE topology and creating my own network with specific requirements. I would like to post them if this thread gets some interest.

Keep the responses coming, if you're interested and see this thread don't just think "yeah, this sounds cool. This might benefit me". Post a response, so myself and a few others can get a feel if this is what people want. My intentions is for this post to be sticked, plain and simple, so people can get hands on experience and not fall into the paper syndrome.

i would definitely be interested in this...got my ccna exam booked for early december...i need something a bit more challenging than the labs they have you do in the networking academy!

GNS3 is the product, which looks to have been mentioned above already.

Looks like a great product for CCNA prep if you can't afford the real thing like me.

out of 204 views only 5 people are truly interested....:confused: Come on guys... I want atleast 15-20 people say their interested before we start posting topologies.

I'm in. I'm studying for my CCNA right now, and doing awesome! You've helped me out on a few minor things, and I'm getting better every day. Like someone posted above, I am scheduled for an early December exam date for my single exam CCNA.

I'd like some great examples and challenges to make me really rack my brain! :)

I'm in. Although I am not sure where the "challenge" portion of this comes in...is this a competition to see who can build it first? Or just to see different solutions?

I need to recertify my CCNA since I let it lapse and I want to have my CCNP before January so I need to shake the rust off anyway.

its not a competition, more of.. making your own network within dynamips, drawing everything up and posting it on here so people can look at them and then "challenge" themselves and try and build what you have created.

count me in. i'm not really studying for anything right now, although I do want to get my ccna wireless and ccna security specializations sometime. I love geeking out this crap. :D

the cisco app they were likely referring to is packet tracer, it does not emulate a router though, it simulates one. Which means much lower system requirements, and it's very easy to use. It's not as [H]ard as dynamips, but it's sure nice to have on an older PC or laptop.

i'm finally looking into how to setup GNS3 optimally, so if anyone has prior experience with it. please feel free to PM me or post here.

i have a Windows XP laptop or a Ubuntu server that I can throw it on... currently looking to put it on the server. i believe it has a Pentium 4 D 2.8ghz w/ 2GB of ram.

It seems like a fair bit of people are indeed interested. I think that more will also join in once this thread gets going. As far as topologies, I would say start posting stuff. Im currently studying every night until around 2AM for the CCIE so ill try and find some time to post up some of the my CCNA Stuff, though I don't have a lot. I have around 30 or so CCNP labs though.

So everyone, start posting following the guidelines above.

cool idea,i also wanna accept these challenges,but tell me one thing how u r planning to do this?
provide addtional information on this.

cool idea,i also wanna accept these challenges,but tell me one thing how u r planning to do this?
provide addtional information on this.

See the first page, first post. It gives all pertinent information. I would really like to see some people post up their challenge. Like I said, I have mostly CCNP labs to post. If everyone is comfy with Dynamips I think they should start posting up topologies as well as the other requirements in page one.

so start doing that buddy u r originator of idea and give us ur guidelines.First u post some material and said other that do like this .........start buddy

is anyone going to break the ice on this one...? just got gns3 up and running in anticipation...

there is a netspace challenge going on at the moment iirc...i did the first phase and it was a bit too simplified... to be fair you can get pretty funky with packet tracer and some imagination...

i'm finding gns3 a bit buggy... have calculated idle-pc values for the routers and sometimes they dont take hardly any of the cpu, but other times it maxes it out... had at least 3 random crashes where it has lost everything too...

Back