From what I understand, NCIX did not sell this data or servers, they were confiscated for not paying rent etc and the land lord knew about the data and servers and was selling them off to recover owed rent. The deals were also very shady and they KNEW what they were doing, as they were "renting" out the room with the servers in them, and allowed whoever access to it, at the price of $15k a pop, in other words, they were not selling the data, they were just renting an expensive room, that just happened to have the servers and data in it with all the means needed to copy the data....What you did with your room rental time is up to you...

To me, that is the land lord etc that needs to have the law come down like a hammer on.
True, but also there is some corporate negligence in relinquishing control of sensitive customer (personal) data. This, in itself, is a crime in Canada. Leaving the keys to the kingdom with some asshat is a problem. lol

True, but also there is some corporate negligence in relinquishing control of sensitive customer (personal) data. This, in itself, is a crime in Canada. Leaving the keys to the kingdom with some asshat is a problem. lol

They didn't relinquish control, the servers were confiscated. The land lord then saw a way to get money back from missed rent, I am not even sure they went through whatever proper legal procedures they needed to before selling everything off, they sure as hell kept the data part close to the chest so people didn't know what was being sold, so much so that they hired a 3rd party to sell off the data so it wasn't directly tied to the land lord, not only does that show intent, but it also shows that they knew what they were doing was not legal.

Now, not to say NCIX doesn't deserve an ass chewing for lax security, but the damage that was done rests on those who willingly sold the data in back room deals.

Back