The most useful utilities?

netsider

Limp Gawd
Can you guys please help me out and suggest some useful and preferebly free utilities for diagnosing and troubleshooting? Some of the ones i swear by are norton ghost. cpUID for getting sys info...memtest 86... and a few others. Which ones do you guys always keep on hand? Im trying to compile a troubleshooting disc or maybe a flash drive with all of the most important tools that i ever might encounter. Oh, i also keep around Kelly's Korner's Taskbar repair tool... because my taskbar disappearing has happened three times before. Anything you think might be useful please let me know about. Thanks guys! All help is appreciated...:)

I'll throw in a few.

Magical Jellybean (product key finder)
Sumatra PDF viewer (< 1MB, extremely quick, no installation, it can integrate into Windows though.)
Process Explorer (find out more detailed process info)

UBCD4Win is a good place to start, even if you don't use it. Check out all the utilities on that disc and pick the ones that stand out.

As for system info, etc I recommend AIDA64 (used to be AIDA32 years ago, that died, then got reborn as Everest, that died, got reborn at AIDA64).

Anything by Sysinternals is always highly recommended (Process Monitor mentioned in the post above is just one of their utilities).

I usually use Memtest 86+ for memory testing, I also have a copy of Spinrite for hdd testing and repair actually revitalized a few disks i thought were goners, also have a simple power supply tester in my kit and a modified version of UBCD4Win that boots up into a somewhat full working version of XP shell to run some programs in

Hardware Testing:
MemTest 86
Hitachi Drive Fitness Test
Intel BurnTest
Prime95

Portable Apps:
Firefox Portable
CCleaner
7zip
Defraggler
WD Lifeguard Tools
Driver Sweeper

Interesting, though I can see the antivirus and antimalware stuff being outdated all the time. But yeah it sure does have a bunch of other things in there!

Hiren has a lot of utilities and shit on it, but it has new version, and new version, and new versions and new versions...

windirstat

scans HD's and gives very easy way to find out what files are filling up a HD. not useful all the time but when working on older PCs with limited HD space it helps a ton. my aunt copied the entire contents of her digital camera to her PC each time she got new pictures so there was like up to 75 copies of the same photo.

hijackthis
hdtach - have found a few really slow PC that should be much faster had HD's reading slower then 20MB/sec

Back