The Military’s Google Glass Streams TONS Of Battle Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
Call one of these guys a "glasshole" and see what happens. I dare you. ;)

Google Glass-esque headgear could soon become the newest piece of standard-issue equipment for U.S. soldiers, and give them the ability to digitally track friendly and enemy locations, display 3D maps of battlefields, and watch live video from drones — all in real-time.

This is the first good and legitimate use of google glass that I've seen! Could actually be very effective in battle if it works like that quote says.

Developers still have a number of issues to consider and plan for, including figuring out how to transmit so much data to thousands of soldiers at once without interruption or too much distraction . . .

This is the first thing that popped into my mind. Too much data, and you've created a lethal distraction. Air forces are now trying to minimize and simplify the amount of bells-n-whistles in the cockpit of next-gen fighter for that very reason.

This could potentially be life-saving (and freakin' awesome), but only if they don't end up trying to throw everything plus the kitchen sink into the display. . .

Could also go the opposite way, you need to think of a way to display lots of complex information at once. Maybe some NCOs and COs get them, radioman? Sounds like a complicated problem, there is such a thing as "too much data" to process, even in the human brain.

This sounds a lot like the headgear from Aliens.

Stay frosty.

I love Glass, and am happy to see it being put to yet another good use. Google Glass will prove itself to be awesome, and most people will want one. Give it time.

what's the fuss, this has been available in Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter ages ago...

First the military will get it, then it will creep into law enforcement.

Actually this could be a good thing... as long as they are required to live-stream what they do at all times while on the job.

But seeing as how this would actually keep "citizens" safe (from law enforcement) and keep the cops honest, this will never happen...

Actually this could be a good thing... as long as they are required to live-stream what they do at all times while on the job.

But seeing as how this would actually keep "citizens" safe (from law enforcement) and keep the cops honest, this will never happen...

Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I hope that they are required to wear these in the future to keep the misconduct to a minimum. A police officer in my city was just found guilty of raping a woman that he took to a hotel after a domestic dispute with her husband.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25318637/san-jose-police-officer-charged-rape

Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I hope that they are required to wear these in the future to keep the misconduct to a minimum. A police officer in my city was just found guilty of raping a woman that he took to a hotel after a domestic dispute with her husband.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_25318637/san-jose-police-officer-charged-rape

Yeah, but the police unions wouldn't let it happen because of the "privacy" and "safety" of their precious little boy scouts.

Same reason cops have a bitch fit when you attempt to record them in public, even when it is perfectly legal to do so in public (in most places) on top of the fact that their jobs are those of public servants where everything they do is supposed to be public record...

It's the same kind of hypocrisy that gives the NSA/Government/Big Brother what they believe is an unfettered right to spy on all of us, while everything they do is allowed to be classified and kept secret from the people they serve...

Some police departments are piloting such a device, but instead of live streaming, they are recording it and then uploading it once the officer checks back in the office, with audit trails of who accessed the video files and when. I'd like to see this widespread in law enforcement.

As for military use, as long as soldiers can still react and have situational awareness, go for it.

These systems have been around for a while, but seem to be gaining momentum recently. The current major problem is the size/weight of the systems. It's not as easy as just wearing the glasses. It has to have waterproof, field replaceable batteries; hot swappable drives that can be destroyed on demand; and it all has to integrate with approved/secure legacy devices.

Here's the current state of the art:
http://bdatech.com/mts

This is the first good and legitimate use of google glass that I've seen! Could actually be very effective in battle if it works like that quote says.

I have seen several, mechanics using glass to display repair procedures and order parts, access data from the car's computers real time.

Doctors who are able to access records, data, and sensor feeds while operating on the patient, it's like a GPS road map for surgeons.

And although I can't use it right now, I can certainly see an IT guy being able to have his "Glass" watch what he is typing on screen and "overlay" proper syntax and command structure, or track related information like link in to results of log files and other system data to help trouble shoot or configure systems, etc. Would beat the hell out of stopping to look for things with my phone, just put "Glass" into "Assist Mode" and get busy with it.

Law enforcement versions have less technical hurdles. Metro cities already have the broadband networks required to relay video and high bandwidth data with minimal latency.

present designs transmit back to the car and it does a majority of the heavy lifting requiring far less hardware to be equipped by the officer.

Google Glass prototypes caught a lot of engineers in the design of these devices by surprise.

Expect to see many devices... inspired by Google's design... on Law Enforcement coming to your neighborhood soon(TM).

Law enforcement versions have less technical hurdles. Metro cities already have the broadband networks required to relay video and high bandwidth data with minimal latency.

present designs transmit back to the car and it does a majority of the heavy lifting requiring far less hardware to be equipped by the officer.

Google Glass prototypes caught a lot of engineers in the design of these devices by surprise.

Expect to see many devices... inspired by Google's design... on Law Enforcement coming to your neighborhood soon(TM).

I think I read something somewhere about eavesdropping with Software Defined Radio on some of these frequency, they're used to coordinate stuff in emergency situations, these protocols and chunks of spectrum; can't recall where on the spectrum, though.

Back