The memory I bought, was it a good choice?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
I know it sounds bad I'm asking these questions after I bought it but a lot of people are using more expensive pieces.

The ram I got is the Corsair Value Select 2X512mb. Now I know there are better units out there but is it okay for me? I'm new to overclocking anything in general and was looking for a new piece that wasn't too expensive. And since it's a gig, I bought it.

Do you guys think I'll be fine with this? I plan to download media, transfer files and such, upload pictures, and of course, surf the net. Is the brand I got fine? I know Corsairs have problems with DFI mobos, so I'm covered there.

I see all these brands like Gskill and the Corsair XMS and was wondering the differences when compared to the Value Memory. I still have the RAM in the orginally box so if need be, I can sell this on ebay and pick up something "better"

Thanks for any replies, it's appreciated. :)

Yes. That RAM is excellent. You should have no issues whatsoever.

Chowder Head said:
Is the brand I got fine? I know Corsairs have problems with DFI mobos, so I'm covered there.

First, thanks for buying Corsair.

Second, we test almost all our DDR1 modules on two boards: The Asus A8N-SLI and the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, as of yet, I haven't seen any of these "problems with DFI boards" that seem to be so prevalent on dfi-street. It really puzzles me because I have not been able to duplicate any of these things in the lab, and we've tried and tried.

I believe now that the perception of a problem between Corsair and DFI boards is just that, perception, and not reality. Not 3 feet from me is a 4400 module being screened on a DFI NF4 SLI-DR for test purposes.

But to answer your original question: Yes, I think you made a good choice. But then again, I'm biased.

Stuff runs great for stock systems. You can do light overclocking and/or throw on a divider...

The expensive stuff that everyone else buys is for tweaking and overclocking, unless you're going to be doing lots of that, you won't lose out on anything.

Many have found that value ram can be a problem with DFI boards.

See the last sentence in the alt. motherboard paragraph of this review at TechReport
Personally, I feel that a board with as many memory adjustments as DFI has can be made to run any RAM that isn't "broken".

All DFI boards even have Memtest86+ built right into the BIOS so you can test to see if your ram IS broken!

It may take a LOT of work to make value ram do so (run right), though.

All that being said, everyone has the choise of two ways to build a DFI computer:

1) Strike out on your own, use your own hunches, disreguard all advice on known "what works best" and "what causes a bunch of trouble for a lot of people" - and suffer the consequences attached to this route.

OR

2) Do what others have found to work again and again and again - and suffer the consequences attached to this route.

In the words of Ben Franklin ... the ONLY inalienable right is the right to make a fool of ourselves! :D

arklab said:
Many have found that value ram can be a problem with DFI boards.
i go through a ton of ram and have yet to find a single module that doesn't operate correctly on my dfi without tweaking it. it's my general assumption that the people who have problems either:
1. change things that they don't know about
2. really did get ram that doesn't work properly

Redbeard said:
I haven't seen any of these "problems with DFI boards" that seem to be so prevalent on dfi-street. It really puzzles me because I have not been able to duplicate any of these things in the lab, and we've tried and tried.
i probably sound like an ass here, but one thing i've been unable to find outside of dfi-street is such an abnormally low average intelligence. :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
i go through a ton of ram and have yet to find a single module that doesn't operate correctly on my dfi without tweaking it. it's my general assumption that the people who have problems either:
1. change things that they don't know about
2. really did get ram that doesn't work properly

i probably sound like an ass here, but one thing i've been unable to find outside of dfi-street is such an abnormally low average intelligence. :p

Yeah DFI-Street is useless. IMO.

Back