THE Memory FAQ

I just learned a lot more than I already knew by reading that. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I'm guessing a lot hasn't changed other than the sizes that are common since it was written.

Actually a lot has changed for Intel's structure. I doubt the general rules espoused on the front page is as useful as the AMD general rules.

Do I Need Ram Cooling?

Memory cooling has become very popular, most notably on video cards. The effectiveness of memory cooling on both system ram, however, is often fuel for lengthy discussions on many internet hardware forums, including our own message board. Does system memory get hot enough to require cooling? Depends on what you consider is hot. My opinion is that memory modules never build up enough heat, to require any sort of cooling.

Ahem, today I got my new RAM, and it ran fine for a few hours before I started getting memory corruption and bluescreened. Subsequent boots were met with almost instant bluescreens. I looked in the case and one of the heat spreaders on one of the new chips had started to peel off and curve away from the RAM, and that RAM was *HOT.* Like, hot enough that my fingers felt warm for a few minutes after.

Hello I'm building a FreeBSD ZFS fileserver and was wondering what to chose?

I want 8-16 GB of ECC memory and I don't really know what unbuffered, buffered and registerd memory is :S can someone help me out here? :S

And mos much money should I put in memory?

Back