The master-slave computer

JackTheKnife

Limp Gawd
I have heard of these redundant computers being used when it is critical to have no down time in a business from a computer breaking down. I need a system that treats the slave computer like a redundant hard drive for everything (both software, OS and files). Something like to create mirror of master computer on the slave.

Thanks

Look into clustering, load balencing etc. Windows server and unix systems both support it.

Without knowing really anything about what your doing it is hard to go further then that.

Software: EMR (medical software), scheduler, Microsoft Office, etc.

There are must to be 2 separate computers not a RAID1 disks.

Something else can help?

Software: EMR (medical software), scheduler, Microsoft Office, etc.

There are must to be 2 separate computers not a RAID1 disks.

Something else can help?

Better syntax and grammar would help

Use a NAS. Forget load balancing that is overkill and to complex, plus it won't nearly help you.

I'll try to translate:

He needs a second computer to be constantly updated to match the master computer. This means same programs and OS installed (which you could ghost), but more importantly the DATA must be synchronized across computers, not just hard disks. EMR is Electronic Medical Records system, which means updating with patient visit info, billing info, etc.

I have no idea how you can keep two databases synchronized across computers, but I'm sure it's possible.

Hopefully that helps a little.

EDIT: Presumably this is so that if the first computer blew up, they would A) not lose data, and B) be able to immediately move to the backup with little to no lost productivity while they fix/replace the first.

his best best is to run a server client setup with the software, so if the desktop client went down, the server software would still be up. Now if he needs clutering for servers, then thats going to be a problem because it gets real expensive real fast.

I'll try to translate:

He needs a second computer to be constantly updated to match the master computer. This means same programs and OS installed (which you could ghost), but more importantly the DATA must be synchronized across computers, not just hard disks. EMR is Electronic Medical Records system, which means updating with patient visit info, billing info, etc.

I have no idea how you can keep two databases synchronized across computers, but I'm sure it's possible.

Hopefully that helps a little.

EDIT: Presumably this is so that if the first computer blew up, they would A) not lose data, and B) be able to immediately move to the backup with little to no lost productivity while they fix/replace the first.

You could run two computers with the operating system installed on one HDD and then a raid 1 for the important files. Then a hotswap drive set on the raid drives so that if the first computer went down you could swap the HDD over and run on the second computer. You could also set the second computer up so that every night you swap one of the drives from comp number 1 over and it would automatically sinc up onto the second raid. I don't think this is what you want but I know that it means 5 harddrives have to dies for you to loose your data.

Kcornia, thanks ;)

About making a ghost backup or a RAID hard disk hot swaps - both ways can't be use. Whole thing must be done by a woman at the front desk by switching between A and B computer (by pressing a button at VGA/keyboard/mouse switch).

Back