The M6805/7 Fan Club thread

Ive had mine for about 3-4 weeks now, and i just noticed a stuck pixel :(. Think i can still exchange it? I bought the service plan at BB.

Well just picked up my 6805 tonight at BB. Awesome man. Gonna format and install Pro tomorrow. 4200, but hey that's ok.

Syn*.exe was taking up all my CPU power, so i had to disable it. I believe it's for the touchpad (but the touchpad still works). Anyone else have that problem?

Originally posted by kisafie1
Syn*.exe was taking up all my CPU power, so i had to disable it. I believe it's for the touchpad (but the touchpad still works). Anyone else have that problem?

Sure have!
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=727914

The best fix is to download and reinstall the touchpad driver from the manufactuer. It seems the touchpad driver gets corrupted.

Emachines tech support wasn't able to help me with this. Maybe if you sent them a support request as well they will finally reallly look into it.

i just picked up the M6807 two nights ago, DAMN DO I LOVE THIS THING!

seriously, i was super apprehensive because of the emachines name, but they have totally redeemed themselves in my eyes. excellent lappy!!

kisafie 1 sayeth, "Syn*.exe was taking up all my CPU power, so i had to disable it. I believe it's for the touchpad (but the touchpad still works). Anyone else have that problem?"

Tell me more. Where is Syn.exe, and how to disable it? msconfig?

Does the touch pad then use Windows drivers?

Anyway, I mainly use an actual MOUSE, so don't much care if it works. Some lappies even have a push-button switch to turn the mousepad off...

My CPU got locked at 100% a few times - seemed to be when ripping DVDs at a high rate on fast external drives, or some impossible multi-tasking event.

Dave, M6805 fan club member ;)

Well, with this crappy hard drive (4200 rpm) i can almost do no multi-tasking whatsoever. This 13 ms seek time really sux. Anyways, I still have problems with the touchpad software, so i disable it with msconfig. I did notice one time when playing ut2k4 that the gun would randomly fire and stuff (and i was using a mouse). Oh well.

I have startup crashes almost all the time, probably because of the ati. I now installed the omega drivers because when i tried catalyst it said it couldn't find any hardware (!) so i was like, screw ATI. If anything happens, I'll just go to BB, although i'd rather not, for now anyways.

Anyone know if o/c my vid card will void the PSP from BB?

Who cares if it voids the warranty?
If you overclock with a program such as ATItool, if you need to take the lappy in for service, just set it back to stock clock rates and remove the program.

In order to install the ATI Catalyst drivers, you will need the Mobility Modder from driverheaven.net

Thank you, i'll try it when i get home. I wonder why the hell ATI can't do this stuff on their own? Why is it there's always some 3rd party proggy that can work better than theirs?

That's even worse, i went to emachines' site, and there isn't a selection for the m6805/7 in the dropdown list in the downloads section.

Yeah, they seem to be running a little behind in getting a download and support page up for these models.
However, the only thing I would download from them would be a BIOS update, as I find I have better luck going directly to the hardware manufacturers site for driver downloads, that way I know I'm always installing the latest version.

First, I want to thank all of the contributors here for giving me the warm fuzzies about the 6805.

An added piece of info on the Touchpad/resources issue...

If you're installing a Logitech mouse make sure to get the latest version of their software. I installed my ~18 month old MX500 on USB using the CD software and the 6805 slowed to a crawl. Seems their older software reads the touchpad as a PS2 device and uninstalls its software and drivers. After reinstalling the Synaptics software and the latest Logitech software the thing blazes.

A note for those looking to buy: Check with your Best Buy store every day -- or check your local store inventory online -- when I was shopping my first search found none locally. A couple of days later when I was going to resign myself to waiting for online shipping my local store had 3 in stock. Long story short, because these things are selling fast inventory status changes day-to-day.

On the video front - I installed the omega 4.1 catalysts the other day and games work great, much better than the version that comes with the laptop.

Been playing Tron 2.0 at high quality with no problems, now just to figure out how to boost the processor speed while under battery power and figure out how much that effects battery life.

George

check the FAQ

clockgen will set you to 1800

and install the 4.2s!

This sounds like such a great lappy, I think I will go buy one tonight, right after class from BB. I am pretty sure they have them in stock and I think they are running a $150 rebate on certain lappys. We will see.

One thing though, after lookaing through all the threads on this thing, I have to say the only thing that prevents it from really being perfect for me, is a 128 meg vid card. I mean i can upgrade everthing else (cpu, ram and hdd) but I know that if I hang on to this thing, the Vid card memory is going to become the bottle neck. So, does any one think that they will release a second revision with more memory and upgrade flexibility?

Originally posted by Johnny X
This sounds like such a great lappy, I think I will go buy one tonight, right after class from BB. I am pretty sure they have them in stock and I think they are running a $150 rebate on certain lappys. We will see.

One thing though, after lookaing through all the threads on this thing, I have to say the only thing that prevents it from really being perfect for me, is a 128 meg vid card. I mean i can upgrade everthing else (cpu, ram and hdd) but I know that if I hang on to this thing, the Vid card memory is going to become the bottle neck. So, does any one think that they will release a second revision with more memory and upgrade flexibility?

The 9600 in there overclocks WAY past turbo levels, and I haven't found anything that can max the video memory really. You're only running at 1280x800, so...

The 9600 in there overclocks WAY past turbo levels, and I haven't found anything that can max the video memory really. You're only running at 1280x800, so...

So...whats your point? are you saying that this thing can be overclocked to 9700 speeds?

Originally posted by Johnny X
So...whats your point? are you saying that this thing can be overclocked to 9700 speeds?

I'm saying don't worry about the 64mb portion, it's fine. :)

No, you can't quite get it to 9700 speeds exactly...

I just got my 6811 and it runs great.

Linux FC3 on it, even!

Back