The Little Tower of Power! (future build log)

Instynx

Weaksauce
Hi everyone, hope it's ok to put this here. I wanted to post this as a place-holder for my build log I plan to do in a couple months and to share my plans for my new computer with you all and maybe get some expert advice before I drop too much money on this.

I lost my main desktop computer a few months back to a power surge, and thankfully my insurance covered a good chunk of the replacement costs. However my plans to replace it got put on hold by an all-expenses-paid trip to Afghanistan for the summer, but this gives me a chance to plan this out and do it right when I get back (the extra desert money doesn't hurt either).

I want something a little bit smaller than my old rig, a CM Stacker 830, that way it's easier to take with on road trips back home, and to save a little space in my bedroom too. For that I've decided on the Lian-Li PC-A05 chassis, either the old A05NB or the new A05FNB (haven't fully made up my mind on that one). I am planning on doing a little case-modding with it, to include recessed, spring-loaded handles and an exhaust fan in the top, painting/powder coating the interior (black or red), and a custom-cut window in the side panel.

Motherboard will be the new ASUS Crosshair V Formula.

Looking at this CPU for now, but by the time I'm back state-side the new Bulldozer chips should be out, so this might change. Either way, I'll be keeping it cool with a Corsair Hydro cooler, either the H80 or H100 if I can get it to fit. Unless I get frisky and try to do a real water-cooled setup, but I'm leaning towards the H80/H100 for simplicity and easier portability.

Going all out with 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance memory with fans to keep it cool.

I already have a brand new Corsair HX850 sitting in my old case at home, along with one of these sweet EVGA GTX 560 Ti DS video cards. I plan on getting a second to do SLi. I will help them stay cool with this guy. (Got an idea for some customization with that too, but I can't reveal all my secrets just yet.)

I also already have this little beauty:a Samsung Blu-Ray drive, since I plan to use this as a hybrid gaming rig/HTPC for my bedroom.

To aid in the HTPC part of the rig, I'll be filling the second 5.25" bay with this.

Filling the void of the 3.5" bay and helping me control the noise/heat will be a Scythe Kaze Master Pro 4-channel fan controller.

Last but certainly not least, the boot drive. It's even red to match the motherboard!

So feel free to let me know what you think, I look forward to sharing my progress with you all as I finally get a chance to put this thing together when I get home.

Of course, these plans are debatable and subject to change. I do have a couple months left unfortunately. :(

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid build for the most part, I have no idea what processor you are going to use, It's a dead link.:D

Strange, the links should all be fixed now. It's a Phenom II X6 1100T. But it's likely to change when BD hits the shelves.

Last edited:
I think I've decided on the theme for this build. I'm going to call it "In the Crosshairs" to emphasize the ASUS Crosshair V motherboard at the heart of this little beast. Going to use one of these crosshair fan grills for the top blowhole and some creative window treatment involving actual bullet holes (we'll see if that works, might just end up drilling the holes). Also thinking of adding an intake fan directly to the front panel (instead of relying on the side vents) with the crosshair fan grill as well. Planning on sticking to the black/red theme for the hardware with some white lighting inside.

Edit: This has completely changed (go figure). More details below and more to follow soon.

Last edited:
Well, I'm back from Afghanistan and it's time to build a new computer. Here's my first batch of parts, the stuff I ordered and shipped to my parents' house while I was gone. The motherboard and power supply are waiting at my place unfortunately, so I have about a week before I can actually commence the build. But here's a teaser:
DSC00462.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01031.jpg

Modding the bracket for the new hard drive mount
DSC01030.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

my little helper jumping in!
DSC01034.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

Yes, I know the wires are a mess. Step two will be custom-length wires and some serious cable management/sleeving. Thinking of going with red sleeving, any thoughts?

Very nice! Its going to be a cool little rig.

P.S. are you in the millitary?

This is Fun times...
Cant wait to see her all dolled up

Im thinking about getting one of those Antec CPU coolers when I OC my i5.
Does the unit need power besides the fans?
If it does is it a molex/4 pin/3 pin?

BTW check out post 6 the 3rd picture from bottom to top
On the Blueray player cover
I see you!!!:p lol

Last edited:
Am I the only one that finds it slightly funny that you have corsair EVERYTHING and then the antec version of the Corsair H70. Nothing wrong with the antec, its just funny to me I guess.

Back