The LG V30 Camera Will Have an f/1.6 Aperture, the Largest Ever in a Smartphone

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
LG Electronics is incorporating an f/1.6 aperture camera and glass lens in the dual camera of its upcoming V30 flagship. This means that the smartphone should have excellent low-light performance: the larger the aperture, the more light a camera lens can take in. The current champion is the Galaxy S8 at f/1.7.

Excellence in smartphone cameras has long been a core competency of LG’s mobile devices and the dual camera module in the upcoming LG V30 will include the world’s largest aperture and clearest lens ever to be featured in a smartphone. LG’s first F1.6 lens is also the largest aperture among existing smartphone cameras, delivering 25 percent more light to the sensor compared to an F1.8 lens. The glass Crystal Clear Lens also delivers greater light-collecting ability than a plastic lens as well as better color reproduction. This makes the V30 particularly well suited for photography and videography.

My next phone might be an LG. The wife got a G4 while back and its camera is excellent for the era the phone came out in. Makes the camera on my HTC m8 look like the piece of garbage that it is.

I have the LG V20 and love it. Don't see the need to get the newest one after just a year of use though.

This makes the V30 particularly well suited for photography and videography.

Maybe compared to some other crappy cell phone cameras.

You need a real camera for real photography though.

When they come out with a cell phone that has a normal sized sensor (at least APS-C sized), then I will stop hating on their crap marketing lies.

My next phone might be an LG. The wife got a G4 while back and its camera is excellent for the era the phone came out in. Makes the camera on my HTC m8 look like the piece of garbage that it is.

Few things:
- Don't buy in the first month because of production bugs. I learned that on the G5.

- Wait until you know for sure it'll meet your needs.

I broke both those rules on the G5. It was originally supposed to be bootloader unlocked (so I could go stock Android), but they renegged for a long time. One day, it just shut down and never came back. Had to be warrantied. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who had an LG. I don't have many devices just up and die before 1 year.

This goes for all device manufacturers.

When they come out with a cell phone that has a normal sized sensor (at least APS-C sized), then I will stop hating on their crap marketing lies.

There's little market for that (Samsung failed at it). With the APS-C sensor, you also need the premium optics to go with it. No-one is going to want to carry that around in their pockets.

Cell cameras operate in the "point and shoot" sector. The part of the photography market where people want quick photos for convenience with little concern for composition or ultra RAW quality. It's the replacement market for the old disposable cameras (and the compact P&S that followed). These cameras are designed and marketed with that consumer in mind (fast deployment, fast shooting, decent shots).

They are not designing phone cameras for Ansel Adams.

Additionally, a skilled photographer could still frame and capture an excellent photo with a phone camera, as the camera is just a tool. Their knowledge of composition is their asset.

Last edited:
Few things:
- Don't buy in the first month because of production bugs. I learned that on the G5.

- Wait until you know for sure it'll meet your needs.

I broke both those rules on the G5. It was originally supposed to be bootloader unlocked (so I could go stock Android), but they renegged for a long time. One day, it just shut down and never came back. Had to be warrantied. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who had an LG. I don't have many devices just up and die before 1 year.

This goes for all device manufacturers.

There's little market for that (Samsung failed at it). With the APS-C sensor, you also need the premium optics to go with it. No-one is going to want to carry that around in their pockets.

Cell cameras operate in the "point and shoot" sector. The part of the photography market where people want quick photos for convenience with little concern for composition or ultra RAW quality. It's the replacement market for the old disposable cameras (and the compact P&S that followed). These cameras are designed and marketed with that consumer in mind (fast deployment, fast shooting, decent shots).

They are not designing phone cameras for Ansel Adams.

Additionally, a skilled photographer could still frame and capture an excellent photo with a phone camera, as the camera is just a tool. Their knowledge of composition is their asset.

Yeah, you can get good composition with a phone, but the image quality is crap compared to any real camera.

If I am going to bother taking pictures I care about, I am going to use a real camera. If I want to take a picture and the ONLY thing I have with my is my phone, then I use my phone.

The marketing speak is still all lies.

Instead of them claiming it is a great camera/video camera, the real truthful working should be something like this:

"Our phone cameras are a little less crappy than the competition!."

Back