The Lexus Hoverboard

The real trick is to hide the magnets under a skate park.

Yeah, I was thinking "how the hell are they levitating that thing, obviously a super conductor in the base of the board due to all the steam that's coming out from the frozen (whatever they're using). I wonder if they didn't line the skate park with magnets and then cover them with a green fabric so 1) they can green-screen them out of the video and 2) the skaters actually know where they can go and still stay floating.

Yeah, I was thinking "how the hell are they levitating that thing, obviously a super conductor in the base of the board due to all the steam that's coming out from the frozen (whatever they're using). I wonder if they didn't line the skate park with magnets and then cover them with a green fabric so 1) they can green-screen them out of the video and 2) the skaters actually know where they can go and still stay floating.

Why? When they can just build the whole park with the board in mind.

"The hoverboard is constructed from an insulated core, containing HTSLs (high temperature superconducting blocks). These are housed in cryostats - reservoirs of liquid nitrogen that cool the superconductors to -197°C. The board is then placed above a track containing permanent magnets. When the board is cooled to its operating temperature the track’s magnetic flux lines are ‘pinned’ into place, maintaining the hover height of the board."

Hasn't the Hoverboard is real viral video crap been done a few times already?

A board that you can't steer, looks stupid and has no qualities over a regular skateboard? Awesome, bro! I'll take 2!

Wow, that is great. I'm going to set up a liquid nitrogen stand at the skate park. Will rake in the bux!

Why? When they can just build the whole park with the board in mind.

"The hoverboard is constructed from an insulated core, containing HTSLs (high temperature superconducting blocks). These are housed in cryostats - reservoirs of liquid nitrogen that cool the superconductors to -197°C. The board is then placed above a track containing permanent magnets. When the board is cooled to its operating temperature the track’s magnetic flux lines are ‘pinned’ into place, maintaining the hover height of the board."

I think they did, why the hell would a skate park have a water feature right in the middle with no railing around it. Oh so they can get the shot of it going "over" water.

I think they did, why the hell would a skate park have a water feature right in the middle with no railing around it. Oh so they can get the shot of it going "over" water.

I know they did.

They have a whole website talking about the construction of the board and the park.

The Hendo hoverboard is much cooler. It's still a far cry from the hoverboard in back to the future but at least it's rideable over the entire surface if it's metal covered. This useless lexus board is on rails. I imagine most of those falls were caused by the riders attempting to turn the board and finding out it didn't follow their weight shift.

I know they did.

They have a whole website talking about the construction of the board and the park.

Ah, sorry that wasn't mentioned in the Youtube video, I assumed they did something easier like hiding the magnets with green screen technology because it'd be cheaper than building a whole fucking skatepark with magnets imbedded in it for a Lexus commercial.

I wonder what the comments would have been like if Steve hadn't prefaced the video with a disclaimer.

Ah, sorry that wasn't mentioned in the Youtube video, I assumed they did something easier like hiding the magnets with green screen technology because it'd be cheaper than building a whole fucking skatepark with magnets imbedded in it for a Lexus commercial.

Yeah, but you have to remember...It's Lexus, the money some of these car MFGs put just into ads can be massive, and truth be told, for a company like that, a little bit of concrete and magnets probably is just a drop in the bucket, after all, they are not on the normal youtuber budget ;)

The fact there was so much "lead up" for so long told me that this entire thing was going to be "meh"

Don't know about the rest of you but I have kept an eye on superconductor technology since they were first demonstrating it in the late 80s.
Yeah, this was a stunt, not any real life product. The challenge is to develop a superconductor material that will superconduct at a real world usable temperature range.
Our current superconductor tech will work great maybe on Neptune. ;)
Also don't confuse superconductors and regular magnetic levitation tech (MagLev).
This tech works but it comes with a very high price tag.
I don't see that kind of tech in the good ole USA any time soon since so much of our tax dollars goes to Babies Mamma.

A board that you can't steer, looks stupid and has no qualities over a regular skateboard? Awesome, bro! I'll take 2!

Yeah, how dare they try something new! So, when are you going to reveal the hoverboard you invented? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but you have to remember...It's Lexus, the money some of these car MFGs put just into ads can be massive, and truth be told, for a company like that, a little bit of concrete and magnets probably is just a drop in the bucket, after all, they are not on the normal youtuber budget ;)

True, I don't want to think how much they paid Van Damme to do the splits on those two trucks :D

Yeah, how dare they try something new!
It's not something new, it's an idea from a shitty 80's movie. That's right, I called it shitty. Watch back to the future 2 when you're over the age of 25..it's not that good.
So, when are you going to reveal the hoverboard you invented?
I'm not, see the above statement. Get a job instead.
Try not to roll your eyes at other men. It makes you come off as super gay. This is something women do when you tell them something very logical that angers them (because they know you're right.) Men don't engage in this behavior with one another unless they are fighting over the color of the drapes in their Christopher St. apartment.

Sorry to be so harsh, kiddo.

Back