The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past sequel announced!

interesting, I wonder if they'll release it for wii/wiiu...

Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game, so I don't expect this to live up to that, but as an actual sequel it might be interesting. Has any Zelda game actually been a sequel? I know majora's mask was kinda a sequel, but it really didn't feel like it, it seemed like it could stand alone easily. If this one actually requires playing LTTP first, then it might interest me more...

Anyways, cool news, thanks!!!

This is from the 3DS direct today.
No Wii U stuff, so no port.

Are you sure this is a sequel? I read it's a new game set in the LttP world.

EDIT:
Here's more of what was announced(It's not over yet):
(I take it back, there was WiiU stuff announced)

Bravely Default coming to North America in 2014
Pikmin 3 coming out August 4
Legend of Zelda Oracle games hit 3DS on May 30
Game & Wario coming to Wii U on June 23
Shin Megami Tensei 4 on July 16

Yoshi's Island 3DS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=jfSH7pQSpBU&v=DMUHXPQ8g30

Last edited:
Bravely Default coming to North America in 2014
Legend of Zelda Oracle games hit 3DS on May 30

I need to emphasize both for VERY GOOD and obvious reasons.

Bravely Default is one of the highest rated RPGs and one of the most well sold 3DS (and probably non-3DS) RPG in Japan at the moment. I've been holding back the urge to import this game, hoping it'll come to the US and I'm ecstatic that it is.

It has:
  • FFV-style job system <- I LOVE that job system, outside of Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy X and XII (probably third and fourth if going by my Top 5 job systems for FF series).
  • Great story if going by the reviews
  • 38/40 score from Famitsu, not many games get rated that high from that review site
  • Great music, I've listened to the music on Youtube and it is one of the great things about this game
  • Graphics are one of the best on the 3DS
I would love to see them include the soundtrack in a collector's edition of this game and an artbook because that was included in the Japanese version, including exclusive job and armor for both of the characters.

Legend of Zelda Oracle games-- nothing more needs to be said, one of the best Zelda games out there outside of Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past.

Of course, a sequel to A Link to the Past with new dungeons and an entirely new story in the same world as ALTTP and new features for gameplay. I can't wait for that.

And, we have an HD version of Wind Waker coming to the Wii U. This should satisfy us until a true Wii U Zelda game gets released on that system.

Well now, this may get me to purchase one. My wife and I were hesitant to buy just for Pokemon X/Y, but this gives me more reasons... well played, Nintendo.

I need to emphasize both for VERY GOOD and obvious reasons.

Bravely Default is one of the highest rated RPGs and one of the most well sold 3DS (and probably non-3DS) RPG in Japan at the moment. I've been holding back the urge to import this game, hoping it'll come to the US and I'm ecstatic that it is.

Hey, uh yeah, I think it's a big deal, been waiting for a while.
REAALLLLLY wanted a holiday 2013 release.... The game will be almost 2 years old by then... But anyway, it should be repeated indeed, this is an EXCELLENT game and its great that it's finally coming over.

I thought the biggest news was Earthbound finally coming to Wii U VC

My anger with NOA makes it difficult for me to comment on this..... but.... they're finally waking up....
The faster it comes out, the better...

I'm surprised noone has commented on Pikmin 3

The graphics look a little Mii-ish/childish. I am a huge Link to the Past fan and that was a pretty dark game. The graphics were timeless. These look unpolished to me. I hope they work on it. It looks quick and dirty to me and mark my words, this will not be released for the holidays. It will be delayed at least to Spring.

Also Nintendo has been a little too cute as of late and I am not confident they will be able to recreate what made a Link to the Past so memorable. Calling it a sequel to a Link to the Past does not mean it will succeed as such. Those trees clearly channel A Link to the Past but I don't see any enhancement.

They need to polish that stuff up.

The only two Zelda titles that I played all the way through were this style; The SNES one and the Gameboy one.

I recognized all of the scenes in the video, but they've definately added things (as said above, the paper mario effect).

With that said... I'll buy it in a heart beat. I'm going to play it again (for like the hundredth time), would love to play it with updated graphics, even though the original still holds up well.

The graphics look a little Mii-ish/childish. I am a huge Link to the Past fan and that was a pretty dark game. The graphics were timeless. These look unpolished to me. I hope they work on it. It looks quick and dirty to me and mark my words, this will not be released for the holidays. It will be delayed at least to Spring.

Also Nintendo has been a little too cute as of late and I am not confident they will be able to recreate what made a Link to the Past so memorable. Calling it a sequel to a Link to the Past does not mean it will succeed as such. Those trees clearly channel A Link to the Past but I don't see any enhancement.

They need to polish that stuff up.

My initial impressions mirror yours. Zelda 3 was very dark. I don't know if it was simply the consequence of the tech limitations of the SNES that brought that forward or whether the style they're aiming for has simply changed with the times. I know for sure that if I ever get the chance to play this, it won't grab me like the original did.

It does look better in 3D. I watched on the 3DS and it looks okay, but not great. The game has no title and is in development so I would not be surprised if they polish it up. I'm excited overall but I think any follow up to A Link to the Past deserves first rate production values. I think Ocarina 3D was first rate, Mario 3D was first rate, Luigi's Mansion was first rate, so this one should really shine.

There is some screenshot comparisons that show that some sections of the demo are straight out of the original Zelda 3 overworld--which suggests that there is very little to show at this point. These are early days for this game. Miyamoto was kicking this idea around a few months ago and I'm willing to bet this effort just got cranked up.

There is no way we are getting little gold cartridges for holiday 2013. There is no title!

nice, except none of these DS games scale to high resolutions very well. I hope they make a version for the wii or wii u... hard for me to get excited about low res DS games. Like most modern zeldas looks like it will be too easy as well.. they should include a hard mode where enemies do twice the damage as shown in that 5 minute video there.

I just can't get over the 2d link... it looks so out of place, style-wise... I'd prefer it if he just was able to scale walls instead and not break from the top-down vantage point so much

it does look fun though. my bad about the storyline between all the games... I never knew they were all so interconnected, they all just felt like the same story over and over again with slight tweaks

Is this actually a sequel or a remake ?

It's been mentioned to be a sequel-- same world, new story, new dungeons. So, I presume it takes place some time after the first game. I would think this would be similar to Majora's Mask being a sequel taking place some time after Ocarina of Time.

I believe Four Swords is also a sequel to A Link to the Past, just not directly linked I believe.

My initial impressions mirror yours. Zelda 3 was very dark. I don't know if it was simply the consequence of the tech limitations of the SNES that brought that forward or whether the style they're aiming for has simply changed with the times. I know for sure that if I ever get the chance to play this, it won't grab me like the original did.

Im not so sure about technical limits. If you look at some of the other games released during snes times, f-zero, super mario world, mario world 2, pilotwings, and even donkey kong, Zelda was definitely meant to be darker. The color palette just by itself, is darker.

That gameplay video looks like they are actually trying to innovate. I'm hoping it's not just LTTP with tacked on bonus dungeons and is a full game (although I wouldn't mind LTTP or the original Zelda tacked on as a bonus ;))

Im not so sure about technical limits. If you look at some of the other games released during snes times, f-zero, super mario world, mario world 2, pilotwings, and even donkey kong, Zelda was definitely meant to be darker. The color palette just by itself, is darker.

After looking at some longer gameplay footage, I'd say the color palette of the new one is quite tame and on the darker side too . I guess it's the general design and animation of the characters and objects that are just too cartoony. The mallet is humungous and enemies seem to flail about more dramatically.

Download the 60FPS version to get a real idea how its going to be.

Man I'm pumped , between this and Donkey Kong Country I'm going to be set for a while. Nintendo is wiping the floor with the PS Vita in terms of game quality , so many great games for the 3DS now and so few for the Vita.

A link to the past is tied with OOT for my favorite Zelda game... God I hope they do this right!

Boy do they have a bar to live up to.

A Link To The Past is one of favorite games ever made. However I've got high hopes for this one.

Back