The last NotFred CD you'll ever need?

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
w00t!

Updated for the released client (6.02). Virtual appliance also updated.

17 July 08: Change URL to released (i.e. non-beta) version of 6.02 client. Add support for specifying TFTP server IP if doing static IP config. Add support for specifying interface, if specified and DHCP it will retry continuously in the foreground and not round robin in the background. Add support for doing a login shell, note that this has very few commands available.

WTG notfred!

With the way things are in a constant change of change, I would never say that any folding CD is the last one you'll ever need. Perhaps the last one you'll need this week. :D

But still though, these CD's are awesome, and the page to set it up is as close to idiot proof as you're ever going to get. NotFred really deserves more love and recognition for the work that he gives to the folding community (even though he folds for the wrong team :D). I would ask who uses these, but I think a better and easier question to ask would be who HASN'T used a NotFred CD or USB stick?

I tried running this on a Pent. M, laptop I have sitting around that the hd has died on and it wont run gives me some error about the cpu 0.6 or something. Maybe its too old. or something to do with it being a dell.

I so wish we could get "Notfred" on our team.
He has put so much work into this diskless client.

He also is always willing to help with problems that come up.

I have 95% of my farm on the his PXE diskless boot.
It is the coolest thing I have ever seen. his guide was awesome.
Unable to do this myself without help

One day, we will have to talk him over here.

I tried running this on a Pent. M, laptop I have sitting around that the hd has died on and it wont run gives me some error about the cpu 0.6 or something. Maybe its too old. or something to do with it being a dell.

Do you mean:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
0:6

This is a kernel error message meaning that the kernel is compiled to use PAE but the machine it is running on does not support it or it is disabled in the BIOS.

Looks like PAE is available on every Pentium Pro and up except for Pentium M's with a 400MHz bus.

Alrite thats probably it I really didnt look at the whole thing lol just saw the cpu part and the 0:6 part that stuck with me. Well i guess i will have to find another way to get it running or sell it.

notfred said:
1) Using DHCP - if no interface specified DHCP will try each interface on the box in turn but background any that don't respond within the timeout (old behaviour). If specified it will sit there and just retry continuously in the foreground until it gets a DHCP response - use this if your DHCP server is too slow or you have a switch that is not correctly configured for "spanning-tree port-fast".

yes! my begging has actually worked lol

i cant wait for monday, im going to try and fire this up on like a good 180 computers :D :D :D :D :D

I saw your shameless begging over @ Notfreds TR forum and thought you'd be liking this.;):D

i cant wait for monday, im going to try and fire this up on like a good 180 computers :D :D :D :D :D

If that's 180 NEW systems up.. holy crap. :eek: If it's just replacing 180 existing clients, well... it will hopefully make your admin job on them easier and give you time to find more borgs. ;)

You have 180 systems sitting around not being used that can just boot up to fold?! Sweet.

I may have to learn how this puppy works, i admit I haven't touched this client yet, but i'm willing to learn, plus I have at least 50 machines coming this week that will need to be "stress" tested and if running this instead of the windows client results in a higher point yield, then I'll run with it.

Holy cow :eek: one person talking about setting up 180 boxen and another person talking about setting up 50 boxen (very, very, valuable "stress" testing, I've heard it could take a while :D)

This notfred CD may not be the last CD you need in the future with the rapid advances in the IT arena, but IMO it's certainly the last foldin' CD you need ATM ;).

MANY THANKS notfred

Edit: I apologize, I thought it read 150 boxen and it was 50 boxen. :(

FOLD ON!

You have 180 systems sitting around not being used that can just boot up to fold?! Sweet.

I may have to learn how this puppy works, i admit I haven't touched this client yet, but i'm willing to learn, plus I have at least 50 machines coming this week that will need to be "stress" tested and if running this instead of the windows client results in a higher point yield, then I'll run with it.

Thats the beauty of it. There's not really much to learn, just pop the CD in and boot it up. Thats it. Check the link in the OP and you'll see that its about as simple to generate a custom CD with your name too.

Alrite thats probably it I really didnt look at the whole thing lol just saw the cpu part and the 0:6 part that stuck with me. Well i guess i will have to find another way to get it running or sell it.

Unless you have one of the infamous ones with a 400MHz bus, it might be as simple as a BIOS setting. Although with your PPD, you probably wouldn't notice that laptop either way. I had one a while back at 1.4GHz (running at 80%) and it was netting me a whopping 50PPD or so.

i use the PXE TFTP server boot, dont even need a CD :D

Same here ... such a time saver.
Makes running the farm so much easier.

The backups are awesome as well.

ya im just having a problem with tftpd32 where if a bunch of machines start dumping their backups all at once the program will just stop accepting incoming connections... and youll never know it either, its still totally responsive, but just dosent do anything

^ WOW! I'm impressed... you gagged a server! :D

Back