The iPad 2

HardOCP News

[H] News
ATTENTION: To all of our iPad fans *all five of you*, Apple has launched the iPad 2 today. Engadget has all the coverage a person could want, so head on over and check it out.

The iPad 2 is 33 percent thinner than its predecessor, at a mind-melting 8.8mm, and a little lighter at just over 600g, while chromatic options have been expanded: you'll get a choice between white and black. It'll be available on both AT&T and Verizon, and all variants start shipping on March 11th.

Last edited:
I know many here are anti-Apple, but I'll be ordering one forthwith. My wife has been clamoring for one and my kids like to video-conference with their cousins on the other coast. This is perfect.

I don't really see a reason to jump to it. I'm happy with my Gen1 iPad and will be for a while. I don't care about the cameras or the gyroscope or that its thinner. The increased specs might be nice, but the one thing that would really make me upgrade (better higher resolution screen) didn't happen. I'll wait for the iPad 3.

If I missed it then sorry but...

Still no USB?
extra $40 for an HDMI out? Will this be limited in anyway btw? if this ends up not giving true 1080p output over HDMI its f'n worthless...
No SD slot?

cool its finally got a camera
did apple enable multi tasking or is this dual core add on worthless?

i think im in 4 one. ive been using my wifes iPad more then i thought i would lol.

Awesome, Adding features that should have been there in the first place. :rolleyes:

Apple is great at innovating. :rolleyes:

Still no USB?
extra $40 for an HDMI out? Will this be limited in anyway btw? if this ends up not giving true 1080p output over HDMI its f'n worthless...
No SD slot?

Its 1080p.

Sold my iPad last week in anticipation of this. Can't wait. I go on vacation and come back the 10. Good way to come back to work.

The issue with Apple is... their pricing, especially in Europe. Seriously :
  • Apple TV 2G - USA $99, Europe €119 ($165.16).
  • cheapest Macbook - $999 vs €999 ($1386.51)
  • up to Mac Pro - $2499 vs €2399 ($3329.57)
  • and we could go on.

So while part of the price difference can be explained by 19-20% VAT, there is still a huge unexplained price increase (depending on the item price it is 10-40%) which simply kills the Apple market here in Europe.

I have said it a million times, if you are going to plop down the cash for an e-book reader or similar device, don't waste your money....just get an iPad. It reads books AND everything else for around the same amount. (e-book readers are getting cheap now but wo will the iPad I soon too)

The PS3 / Blu-ray player is in the same boat. Why buy a Blu-ray player that only plays movies when you can get a PS3 that plays the same movies AND does everything else too.

If you need a computer, you can get a LOT for the same money nowadays.

I need to sell my iPad 1 lol any takers?

I feel for you bro :(

[RIP]Zeus;1036919516 said:
Awesome, Adding features that should have been there in the first place. :rolleyes:

That's what i was thinking.

So much for the AMAZING RETINA DISPLAY 2048x1536 screen that speculators were counting on. I guess that's being held off for the next wave of manufactured obsolescence.

Still no USB?
No SD slot?

Amen,

I am beginning to have to support these for a hospital and the lack of USB and SD slot drives me batty.

I'm interested in one, but probably one be a "day 1" customer. We have a ton of them at work and they make for an excellent travel companion. They're light, do all of the normal laptop tasks I need, and you don't have to worry about airport security slowdowns.
This one is most definitely an evolutionary step (it's kind of like an iPad S), but if you were thinking of getting a normal one this one's a no brainer.

You're angry they are adding things people asked for?

Guess you can't make everyone happy.

Love them or hate them you have to admit what other tablet options can let you surf, play 3D games, email, ebooks, etc? Every other tablet i've seen is absolute garbage. Even the Windows 7 ones are terrible.

I have said it a million times, if you are going to plop down the cash for an e-book reader or similar device, don't waste your money....just get an iPad.

Why not an iPod Touch? It does everything an iPad does with a smaller form factor. I rather like having my Kindle collection in my pocket. I have an older second gen 8gb, finally getting the itch to upgrade to a 4g (unless 5g comes out this summer, than I'll pick it up instead). Also ordered an icontrolpad for jailbroken gaming goodness.

I STILL don't understand the whole iPad thing. Just too large when an iPod Touch does everything it can do but is much easier to just pocket and go. And yes, I own a tablet, an older one though: a Samsung Q1. Thats running Windows 7.

Does anyone think a tablet, whether it be this or something else, would be a good first computer for someone who just basically wants to use the Internet and casual stuff like that? Namely: My mother. ;)

Amen,

I am beginning to have to support these for a hospital and the lack of USB and SD slot drives me batty.

Im perfectly fine with the $40 add on for HDMI out, as someone stated its true 1080p,but the lack of either USB or SD slot drives me NUTS.

Why not an iPod Touch? It does everything an iPad does with a smaller form factor. I rather like having my Kindle collection in my pocket. I have an older second gen 8gb, finally getting the itch to upgrade to a 4g (unless 5g comes out this summer, than I'll pick it up instead). Also ordered an icontrolpad for jailbroken gaming goodness.

I STILL don't understand the whole iPad thing. Just too large when an iPod Touch does everything it can do but is much easier to just pocket and go. And yes, I own a tablet, an older one though: a Samsung Q1. Thats running Windows 7.

I have both, but an iTouch is just too small for some games. I can't play games that want me to use both of my thumbs because it blocks too much of the screen for my liking.

Love them or hate them you have to admit what other tablet options can let you surf, play 3D games, email, ebooks, etc? Every other tablet i've seen is absolute garbage. Even the Windows 7 ones are terrible.

XOOM? My friend got one and it is really slick. We already rooted it in anticipation of custom roms.

I have said it a million times, if you are going to plop down the cash for an e-book reader or similar device, don't waste your money....just get an iPad. It reads books AND everything else for around the same amount. (e-book readers are getting cheap now but wo will the iPad I soon too)

The PS3 / Blu-ray player is in the same boat. Why buy a Blu-ray player that only plays movies when you can get a PS3 that plays the same movies AND does everything else too.

Except a true ebook reader(Nook/Kindle) won't scorch my retinas after 30 minutes of reading. I would pay more money for an eInk display if that was the only choice.

Tablets were a good idea. Then the iPad came out, which is a piece of shit(I am right here). But it's ok being a piece of shit because it's Apple, they'll sell anyways. I'd overlook that, but now other vendors are copying it and any hope of a decent tablet machine has gone out the window.

Apple can lick my taint.

Steve Jobs said:
This will be the first dual core tablet to ship in volume.
Did they forget about the XOOM that is already on store shelves?

There was more B.S. in that press conference than I can stand. I'm shocked nobody is calling Apple out on some of the crap they were spewing.

Yeah, just like every other product ever released by mankind. It had additions in the new model. Holy shit batman!

There was more B.S. in that press conference than I can stand. I'm shocked nobody is calling Apple out on some of the crap they were spewing.

In volume is the kicker. Yeah its BS, but its also true.

yes a majority of other tablet options does exactly that. I'm curious how they are garbage?

You're angry they are adding things people asked for?

All they added was an extra core and cameras. It seems this thing only came with the ability to skype over the iPad1. It only gets HDMI out via an add on.

What exactly do these little toy gadgets do that requires dual cores anyways? Is it really anything other than a marketing bullet?

Overall the upgrades were expected and things like the front facing camera should have been there originally. Yet the device is somehow "magical and innovative." There are cell phones more powerful then this thing! :eek:

It is stupid that the resolution is still a crappy 1024x768. Half the RAM of the Xoom. Keeping the same price was a great idea. Such a slap in the face of Motorola. Lack of USB, SDCard, and charging another $40 for HDMI out are deal breakers for me though especially with the lack of storage space increase.

If only Motorola hadn't screwed up on the price of the Xoom...they could have taken a fair share of the market. Makes you wonder if all the talking heads at Moto are crying right now over their stupidity. ;)

I'm going to state the obvious, but if someone wants a tablet that can primarily be an E-reader, they can just get a Nook Color. It's specs are about the same as an iPad, half the price, and can run Honeycomb with ease. It takes 15 minutes and a MicroSD card, and when you take the card out and reset it, you got your Nook color just as you left it.

I STILL don't understand the whole iPad thing.
I don't either. My mother-in-law got one for Valentine's day and was showing it off for us. The entire time she was fidgeting trying to find a comfortable way to hold it and use it. The second web page she tried was flash and the demonstration stopped lol. My s/o even walked away wondering what the heck the point of them was other than to be cool and have a new gadget. When I told her the price she laughed and said no thanks. This tablet movement is a fad that will be over soon IMO.

Overall the upgrades were expected and things like the front facing camera should have been there originally. Yet the device is somehow "magical and innovative." There are cell phones more powerful then this thing! :eek:

It is stupid that the resolution is still a crappy 1024x768. Half the RAM of the Xoom. Keeping the same price was a great idea. Such a slap in the face of Motorola. Lack of USB, SDCard, and charging another $40 for HDMI out are deal breakers for me though especially with the lack of storage space increase.

If only Motorola hadn't screwed up on the price of the Xoom...they could have taken a fair share of the market. Makes you wonder if all the talking heads at Moto are crying right now over their stupidity. ;)

Yes, honestly a $500-600 XOOM would do it for me. But they dont have one at the moment. Also I was expecting a April Launch not march, was going to sell it sometime this or next week...

Thats how they make the big bucks :)

For me, lack of USB or SD slots are downers, but not deal-breakers.

Back