The Internet Failed At Streaming the Oscars

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Mar 3, 2014.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

I like how this article says "the internet" failed at streaming the Oscars. Yes, the internet was totally to blame. :rolleyes:

2. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

pfft, who cares anyway. Unless one of the zombies in last night's episode of The Walking Dead was named Oscar, I wasn't about to watch anything "Oscar" related.

3. Symon14

Symon14 Limp Gawd

ABC's stream was only available in like 5 cities nation wide anyway. So it was a failure in a much bigger way than just an outage.

4. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

Agreed. The last thing I want to do is watch them pat each other on the back.

5. Skripka

Skripka [H]ardForum Junkie

Ditto

6. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

I bet the writer has some slow ass DSL connection like most people I run into that complain about streaming services. "I PAY $15 A MONTH AND I WANT IT ALL!!!!"

7. Grebuloner

Grebuloner Gawd

Agreed. When my girlfriend first saw the news that it would be streamed online, she was excited that she would get to watch it like we did the Superbowl. Then we found out we weren't on an approved ISP or in an approved city...

8. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Oscars are stoopid

9. SGA76

SGA76 [H]ard|Gawd

I'm voting for the zombie that Daryl beat back to death with the 9 iron!;)

Seriously though, I don't give a rat's ass about the Oscars. To me, it more like a circle jerk by all the people that make terrible movies and justify them by calling them "film" and "art" instead of "trash" and "desperately wanted those 2 hours of my life back after watching."

10. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

You know, those indoor TV antennas work pretty dang well if you live in a city. There's really no excuse to not be able to get ABC in the developed USA, even for an apartment-dwelling cord cutter.

11. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

Why do people even care to watch a bunch of overpaid celebrities self-congradulate each other in a huge circle-jerk fest, as if they aren't already adored, congradulted, and compensated for their work enough as it is.

How about instead we spend that much time, money, and effort into pinning badges on our most heroic troops that year instead? Call it the Oorah Awards.

12. ShamisOMally

ShamisOMally [H]ard|Gawd

Oddly enough, I just watched Life after Pi twenty minutes ago, and how disgusting it is that movie studios barely fucking pay the CGI studios any money, yet pay the actors hundreds of millions of dollars

That shit just ain't cricket

13. singe_101

singe_101 2[H]4U

Do you have an example? It seems like they're paying more for visual effects than in, say, 2000 or 2004, even after inflation. They get paid for 3D even if they audience doesn't care much, right?

14. Skripka

Skripka [H]ardForum Junkie

You got me.

Probably for the same reason that all those trash magazines about movie stars sell.

15. amddragonpc

amddragonpc [H]ard|Gawd

What an idiot. Sounds like she was on dial-up.

16. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

It was a good show this year. MM's Oscar was well deserved.

17. reb00tin

reb00tin Gawd

The internet also failed at streaming the winter Olympics. I don't own a TV so I had to search for hockey results. GO Canada!

18. convexion

convexion Gawd

...Who?

19. RadXge

RadXge 2[H]4U

Matthew Mcconaughey is now the brightness star in the sky of Hollywood.

20. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Limp Gawd

Haven't watched the Oscars in about 15 years, except when Scorsese finally received his in 2006. What little interest I may have had was reduced to zero when Pacific Rim wasn't even nominated for Best Visual Effects. :confused::mad:

21. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

22. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

That movie sucked. I was more excited about leaving the movie theater than watching the movie. Seems like that movie was made for potheads, since that is the only way I can see anyone enjoying that shit.

23. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Pretty sure the Oscars would've ended up being the more interesting show if we're factoring last night's Walking Dead

24. Lethal

Lethal ViragoAdmin Emeritus Staff Member

Yeah, I really don't understand anyone whining about not being able to stream it live over the intarwebs when it's on OTA broadcast tv for free. It's not like it was on cable and only available to subscribers of particular providers.

25. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

The Walking Dead is about as exciting as watching paint dry...oh wait now, watching paint dry is more exciting. It's actually an insult to the paint.

26. CreepyUncleGoogle

CreepyUncleGoogle [H]ardness Supreme

Why would someone watch a show about people getting awards for making shows?

27. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

Why pick on pot heads? where better than a bunch of drunks. At least we don't rob banks and stab people, we may talk about it for hours but then we realize we are still on the couch watching star trek reruns or MaSH.

28. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

So ISP are throttling NetFlix but leave this Oscar crap wide open..

world of doomed

29. Pringle

Pringle 2[H]4U

Couldn't agree more. I can't remember a source material being raped so badly

30. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd