The INQ does it again

just read that, too. now R600 better does deliver - it certainly is the piece of hardware with the most rumors - now it is even supposed to have decend sound onboard! It's getting better every day. :D

Pretty soon we are going to see a R600 that dispenses PEZ candy. :D

By first glance this article sounds good, but I have to wonder.....

I thought any video card with a HDMI interface could output sound via HDMI with a little work.

How many pc monitors aside from 1080p/i tv screens will have hdmi tho?

just because it does sound (and it could be some ac97 codec chip that comes off any old mobo), doesn't make it automatically a more desirable product. It pisses me the hell off how biased the INQ is with ati. if the G80 came out 6-7 months after the R600 and was only 3-5% better, we would definitely hear about it.

cool. even though i'm totally a nvidia supporter, it's still cool and a step in the right direction.

I really don't think it makes sense to have dedicated sound onboard. It's just a waste. Plus, surely there would be performance problems putting everything through one bus?

It would be cool if it had a SPDIF link that you could hook your sound card to and output everything over HDMI, though.

My take on this INQ piece of news is just this. Is The INQ on the payroll of AMD/ATI ?
I mean, this whole "article" can be summed up to: "R600 rocks, because it has an onboard sound card and G80 sucks, because it doesn't and also that's the reason why it has buggy drivers".

What the hell is this ? A new low, even for The INQ ?

People talked about Fuad, but this Charlie picked up on his FUD really well...

IF there was any juicy news coming from Nvidia lately, I'm sure INQ would report it.

Oh wait, but there isn't.

Take a chill pill guys. It's rumored news. It's interesting. Hey, it's something to talk about.

Bad spelling and a clear bias. How the hell do they stay onlIne?

In terms of bus bandwidth Toms hardware recently did and updated article concerning PCIe bandwidth.

I say updated because a few years ago they did the same thing and all the PCIe video cards at the time could not even saturate a x4 connection. The new article demonstrates that many of todays games perform very closely (read 5% difference) between a x8 bus and a x16 bus.

With that said pumping sound through the bus wont be a problem.

Personally I hope it is true. I have gotten a sour taste for Creative as of late and if the R600 can implement at least 5.1 surround and support EAX 2 or 3 then they have a winner....that is if the price doesn't cost me a small fortune.

IF it doesn't cost me more than it would without sound card and ifit's better than my sound blaster live and if it consumes less power than normalGPU+sound card then sure i don't mind getting it :D

IF it doesn't cost me more than it would without sound card and ifit's better than my sound blaster live and if it consumes less power than normalGPU+sound card then sure i don't mind getting it :D

Thats alot of ifs lol

IF there was any juicy news coming from Nvidia lately, I'm sure INQ would report it.

Oh wait, but there isn't.

Take a chill pill guys. It's rumored news. It's interesting. Hey, it's something to talk about.

First of all, NVIDIA is about to release their mid-range of DX10 cards. If that's not "juicy", as you put it, then I don't know what is. DX10 cards, without emptying your bank account ? Definitely not "juicy"...

Second, every piece of news from The INQ, related to R600, is something like: "R600 was delayed again, however it will be able to cook you lunch, while it cleans your house, so the wait is worth it".

They could just report the so called "rumor", without the clear bias toward a certain company. Or is that too much to ask ?

Pretty soon we are going to see a R600 that dispenses PEZ candy. :D

LMFAO!!! Kind of a neat idea. I'll try to see where I can put that in a modded case!!

But seriously, this is interesting. With a cpu integrating a low end graphics chip on the horizon why not integrate sound with video... you usually have both anyway... it makes logical sense to me and as a musician I would be very interested in the quality of audio that it delivers.

My whole problem with this is that I don't feel the need to replace my soundcard every time I replace my video card. With costs already up significantly, this is a hard justification to make. Is it a problem with ATi or the DRM? Not sure, that one is up in the air.

A standardized digital audio pass through from soundcard to vid card to HDMI out makes a lot more sense to me though.

Holy FUD Batman! I haven't seen a more transparent piece of MS and NVIDIA hate propaganda in a long time,

just because it does sound (and it could be some ac97 codec chip that comes off any old mobo), doesn't make it automatically a more desirable product. It pisses me the hell off how biased the INQ is with ati. if the G80 came out 6-7 months after the R600 and was only 3-5% better, we would definitely hear about it.

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38738

Yep, called it in the air.

You spend 600 dollars on a video card and get the same onboard audio on about 90% of all mobos, they (ati) can do better, and the inquirer is flaunting it as good because ati has it and nvidia doesn't. It's not going to make me buy it. I would like to see a better sound chip or a passthru so you can use a real sound card that has any form of quality.

Obviously sound going through HDMI was the main goal of the input spec, so this is a step in the right direction I guess, exept a passthru would prob end up cheaper and better.

OK, R600 is starting to remind me of pre-release PS3. I swear I've never seen a piece of PC hardware with so much controversy surrounding it.

I downloaded the driver just for kicks... 14.6 MB It started up just fine and of course gave me that nasty message that I do not have any hard ware supported by this driver blah blah blah. Just wanted to see what would happen.

Just to let you guys know, the realtek driver for ati HDMI could be the driver I use on my abit fatl1ty mobo......the micratx one. In fact it is the driver i use.................so maybe it is not for the R600 after all. I just wanted to point out the legitimate reason for it being on the realtek site.

Basically it looks like the sound card in R600 is going to be the killer app for home theatre type apps. G8x simply can not do what is needed here, buggy drivers or not. While the DRM infection stinks, at least R600 will be able to comply. µ

That will be all fine and dandy about the sound, but the power requirements, cooling requirements, and the noise generated by both will never let the R600 be a good solution for HTPC. Killer app for home theater types is bullshit, gotta say Charlie is not thinking this one out. Now if they can do this on the low end cards., R6XX, maybe they have something.

Nvidia, Ati, who cares... Buy the better product and be quiet about it.

~Adam

I thought any video card with a HDMI interface could output sound via HDMI with a little work.

The Video card has to be connected to the sound card afaik. Other than that, the video card probably has a sound driver in it for the HDMI's sound interface. There's also the option of separate audio output altogether. HDMI doesn't HAVE to supply the sound if you use a separate arrangement.

Back