The "I'm getting my new iPad" gloating/tracking thread.

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Mar 16, 2012 8:53 AM
At local FedEx facility
CHRISTIANSBURG, VA

:cool: My strategy worked!

Now I'll go pick it up on the way out of town this weekend. #WINNING

Mine is out for delivery.

It says by 3PM, so I'd say 6 hours to go until iPad.

Decided to buy a new iPad this morning. Walked into the Apple store and five minutes later walked out with my shiny new iPad!

Meh... I am waiting now on a good deal for an iPad 2... just... gotta... wait... a... little... longer...

I picked mine up at the Apple store at 8:05am this morning. I did order it for pickup and knew there would not be many people there. I was the only person in line to ordered for pickup, so I got in ahead of all those people who were there and standing in line before I arrived. hehe! :)

Walked in a local Walmart at 7:30 - and walked out with one of the new ones...

They had the 64GB LTE Black and Black 16GB Wifi.. Drove past Best Buy to see a considerable amount of people...

Mine is "out for delivery" by UPS. Apple requires a signature so I have to make sure I'm home all day and listening for the doorbell since my home office is in the basement and it's hard to hear. I hate it when the driver leaves a note and I was home.

How long were the lines at the stores? Sounds like they were short. iPad at Walmart?? That just seems wrong. :)

Also, who's getting a White one? I ordered black, but I noticed all the ads showcase the white.

Got mine via Fedex at 9am :) I love it so far... just wish I had more time to mess with it this afternoon

Also, who's getting a White one? I ordered black, but I noticed all the ads showcase the white.

*raises hand*

Literally 5 seconds after I ordered, I had regrets about getting it in white. I had a feeling that the white will 'pop' from the screen a little from the contrast (the reason why most TV's and monitors have a black/dark bezel). Although, after messing with it, it's not that bad.... but still wish I ordered black

UPS just delivered mine. The driver told me UPS had police cars at the facility today for extra security and they were making all the drivers take their jackets off.

I LOVE Apple's packaging -- you really feel like you're getting something special when you open the box.

I live almost right next to the Fedex facility where mine was being loaded on the truck, unfortunately they don't usually hit my building before the afternoon. Good thing I'll be home today at least.

Edit: huge amount of scalpers for this one on craigslist.

Best Buy had tons instock when I stopped by to trade in my other ipad 2 and return the Vita. In and out... I was shocked....

Still lovin the device...

Mine arrived. All setup and synced. However I am not impressed by the screen. Doesn't look much different than my other iPad.

Got mine via Fedex at 9am :) I love it so far... just wish I had more time to mess with it this afternoon

*raises hand*

Literally 5 seconds after I ordered, I had regrets about getting it in white. I had a feeling that the white will 'pop' from the screen a little from the contrast (the reason why most TV's and monitors have a black/dark bezel). Although, after messing with it, it's not that bad.... but still wish I ordered black

Take it back and exchange it (within 14 days). Apparently they don't mind. I went to pick mine up and told them I wanted to upgrade (I ordered wifi and wanted to get LTE)...they said no (apple store). Then said I could come back within 14 days and exchange it. I was amazed by this. I got another at Best Buy (the model I really wanted) and will take the other one back, unopened, or sell it.

I broke down and bought one of the new Black 64GB WiFi iPads at Best Buy this morning. My first Apple product since the iPod I bought back in 2007. I stood in line before the store opened just long enough to get a ticket (10 min) and then came back later to actually buy it after breakfast and some work. I decided to get the Zagg Sheild Protector for it and have Best Buy put it on (they were putting them on free of charge today).

I am going to get a 2 year warranty from SquareTrade for $79 bucks. It's better than AppleCare and whatever the hell Best Buy tries to sell you.

Anyways, I also ordered the Bear Motion (TM) 100% Genuine Leather Case for iPad2. I thought about the Snugg or one of the new Targus cases, but my mom has a Bear Motion case for her iPad 2 and it's a really great case. So, I went with the same case for myself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyways, I also ordered the Bear Motion (TM) 100% Genuine Leather Case for iPad2. I thought about the Snugg or one of the new Targus cases, but my mom has a Bear Motion case for her iPad 2 and it's a really great case. So, I went with the same case for myself.

I have the Bear Motion too and it is really nice case. Fits the iPad3 as well as it fit the iPad2.

I just have to tell you guys that the new iPads screen is simply amazing. The resolution, color and black levels are the best I've ever seen in any portable device. I'd kill several men to get a 30" version of this screen for my PC at home!! :D

Walked in a local Walmart at 7:30 - and walked out with one of the new ones...

They had the 64GB LTE Black and Black 16GB Wifi.. Drove past Best Buy to see a considerable amount of people...

I walked into a Best Buy this afternoon around 2pm. Asked if they had a crowd this morning and was told they did. But hardly anyone was in the store at 2pm. Got my 64GB LTE Black in record time. Got the 64GB WIFI Black at the Apple store at 8:04am, in record time. Apple made sure there were a goodly number of iPads to go around this time.

I'll echo some of the sentiments here. The screen is REALLY nice, but it's definitely not as sharp as the iPhone 4's and you notice it.

It's still a huge improvement over any other tablet and is the first one I find acceptable.

Both mine came in along with my AppleTV

edit: all my info is transferring over at the moment

I've been hammering away at this new iPad since 10am (delivered) and the battery is currently at 47%. That includes about 2 hrs of LTE browsing and tons of audio and video streaming. Incredible!

I got mine delivered to work. I didn't even have to walk one step to get it. It was awesome.

PS. yea the screen is awesome.

I really like the screen. It is a lot better, the resolution helps IMMENSELY. For those that don't think so, you obviously have poor vision or don't do much web browsing.. it makes things much much sharper and easier to read.

I am kind of regretting not getting the LTE version of the 32gb.. but at the same time I still can't justify it as I spend 95% of my life in areas with wifi...I may consider it for the next iteration if I find there are situations I'd like it in. But till then I'll just deal with using my iphone for those things.

I am kind of regretting not getting the LTE version of the 32gb.. but at the same time I still can't justify it as I spend 95% of my life in areas with wifi...I may consider it for the next iteration if I find there are situations I'd like it in. But till then I'll just deal with using my iphone for those things.

I had the same logic as you...and was planning to get the wifi only version. Then, last week I found myself in Chicago staying in a big expensive hotel downtown. I wanted to use the internet on my iPad on the room...but those assholes wanted $14.95/day for internet and you have no clue how good it would be. Two days of that would pay for a month of LTE on Verizon. So I changed my mind at the last minute and got the LTE. Also get the GPS chip which means I can use location apps as well as Nav on my iPad. Already have Navigon with its own maps.

It's interesting how little subtleties show up on this display. If you look carefully, you'll see that when you swipe between home screens, the icons "squeeze" together very slightly. On the original iPad, this effect is imperceptible, probably because there just aren't enough pixels for it to be perceptible.

Very interesting.

Picked mine up at 10:30 am. Just finally setting it up. There were about a dozEn more at the FedEx office awaiting pickup.

I just ordered one of these. $28 is a pretty decent deal.

Oh no....The one for the iPad 2 only works 80% of the time for the iPad3 as far as the Smart Cover autolock feature is concerned. Mine is the 20% for which the autolock feature doesn't work. Now I have to get a new case.

From Amazon.com review section (appears to be a Bear Motion employee):

Pro Ebiz LLC says:
It appears that Apple moved the sensor a little bit. We are currently working on this.
We have tested about 100 cases both from the old iPad 2 case inventory and the new iPad 3 case inventory. We have found that about 20% of them don't work with the new iPad 3 in regards to the Smart Cover function. The remaining 80% work perfectly. I think it was just slightly changed and 80% of our cases still have it covered but the other 20% was off too much to have it covered.

So I realized why it is that the screen just felt weird initially even though it's very good. I'm used to the iPhone 4's screen, where the LCD is pretty much glued to the thinner glass. On that device, it feels like you're touching the pixels. With the thicker glass of the iPad and greater space between it and the LCD, you definitely become more aware of the LCD being behind something.

That said, I still think it's an amazing display and will be enjoying it for some time to come.

The screen reminds me of any LCD advertisement you've ever seen in a newspaper or magazine, where they photoshop a sharp image over the display. You know, that clearly fake and way-too-sharp look. The screen is so sharp that it looks photoshopped in a similar way.

Oh no....The one for the iPad 2 only works 80% of the time for the iPad3 as far as the Smart Cover autolock feature is concerned. Mine is the 20% for which the autolock feature doesn't work. Now I have to get a new case.

DOH! Hopefully mine is in the 80%...

Well, this sucks! I got my Bear Motion case today from Amazon and it doesn't fit very well. It's way too snug and makes the case bulge out in various places. The autolock / wake feature works fine, but the cutouts for the iPad camera and certain buttons don't line up correctly. Guess I'm sending the case back. Awesome case for the iPad 2 though! Leather smell is wonderful!

Maybe it's because I have a nice matte screen pro monitor at work; I'm not seeing what everyone is orgasming over when it comes to this new iPad and it's screen. My friend who loves his iPad 2 notices it as a subtle improvement and I have to agree with him. Especially when comparing them side by side.

My friend is a math teacher and I can tell you straight out this "no other iPad can display formulas but the new one can" is just absurd. I looked at his slides that he uses to lecture and can confirm it. Regardless of that though, the new iPad doesnt do anything new versus the ipad 2. Furthermore, comparing them side-by-side we both came to the conclusion there is very little reason to upgrade from an iPad 2, if at all.

Quite frankly this feels more like iPad 2+ or iPad 2 Pro rather than iPad Gen 3. I have to fully state that this does not mean that I believe the new iPad is a terrible device.

By the way as far as cases go I like the ones from saddlebackleather.com. The guy who owns this business looks like Kyle if he was into leather and ran a website on it. 8)

Here's a video of his cases. They fit the new iPad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rhbwI4qyE&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:
DOH! Hopefully mine is in the 80%...

I got my Bear Motion case today. It's fantastic. The magnetic cover switch works perfectly. My only complaint is that the top is just slightly too snug for the new iPad. It smells great too.

From the Bear Motion iPad 3 case page:

NOTE: In the past a few days, we have received several comments from end users and made modifications based on their inputs. The Smart Cover function has been fixed along with several other things. This helps us make the case even more user friendly than ever before. You will be receiving a case that is specifically designed for iPad 3 with details tailored to meet end users' every expectation.

I ordered mine already, I have my iPad (Verizon LTE, 64GB Black) in the iPad 2 version. If it wasn't for the smart cover thing I'd keep it forever, as it is I'll probably give it to my family as they still have an iPad 2 they use.

From the Bear Motion iPad 3 case page:

I ordered mine already, I have my iPad (Verizon LTE, 64GB Black) in the iPad 2 version. If it wasn't for the smart cover thing I'd keep it forever, as it is I'll probably give it to my family as they still have an iPad 2 they use.

I've been searching high and low for a Bear Motion replacement case, but none that I have seen out there have been up to par with the Bear Motion cases in my opinion. I guess I am going to put my order in for this iPad 3 revision that promises to fix all the issues new iPad owners were having with the iPad 2 version of the case.

The 4-14 day business day shipping time makes me a sad panda though. I'm afraid to move my iPad out of my office, let alone my house with no case on it. Will be nice when I finally have a case.

Back