The How And Where Of Fireworks Injuries

Good job at not addressing any of my points. You're such a "fact" spewing machine. I do like to go out. Wild nature is my fav. Seems you're not very fond of it.

Well you can love nature all you liked but it IS a reality that there are dozens of species that have overpopulated regions due to their natural predators being removed, micro-habitats formed, and by agriculture as mentioned before.

Facts > Feelings in the scientific world

Last night, around 10PM or so, someone a few blocks away decided it'd be cute to put on their own fireworks show.

About 20 minutes into it or so, there was a boom that could be felt at my house. A few minutes later, I heard the local FD's trucks go tearing down that way.

And that's why fireworks, while awesome, should be left to the professionals.

So because one person is a Dumbass the rest of us should get punished? Sorry, but no I am tired of being held to the standards of the excessively stupid.

I don't think the serious pyros get hurt too often.

I know I have all my fingers, but I'm not going to admit to much.

But I've heard of:

Get about 100 lb of wood, 2x4's etc in a bonfire about 6' in diameter.
When the flames are at least 6' tall, put a VW engine case (type 1) into the middle.
Wait 20 minutes and enjoy. It will change your life, and is now outlawed on all BLM land.

Get your cutting torch lit and adjust the flame for cutting. Then smack it on the ground to kill it.
Get a large trash bag, and put the nozzle in the opening. Hit the O2 level and hold it until the bag is full. Tie it off.

You need to be at least 100' way when you ignite it. Rolled newspaper works. Glass windows within 50' might shatter.

You've never seen anything like it.

3" PVC pipe a foot long and two caps. Drill an 1/8" hole in one cap. Put a 1lb can of 4F blackpowder in it. Glue second cap on. Put a 2' piece of cannon fuse deep into the hole. Available at finer gun stores.

This one I suggest burying at least 2 feet deep to slow down the shrapnel. It will Make Your Day.

Ok man..these are called Bombs and will get you arrested lol. There is a BIG difference between this and fireworks lol.:p

Ah, being a kid and having 4th of July fireworks.

We did some really stupid shit when I was young. rocket wars (using those really cheap small rockets), Roman candle wars, lighting m60's while people were sleeping, etc.

Glad none of us ever got seriously injured, though i did take a roman candle to the head, right between my eyes. I smelt the "burning" smell of that thing for a bloody week! Even after showering over and over I couldn't get that smell off.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has put out a very handy guide to where, when and how people get hurt using fireworks. Please do not try to add anything to next year's list. ;)

C'mon, Steve! There are already 101% injuries, plenty of room for more :p

I dispatch for an ambulance service and had 2 severe eye injuries last night due to fireworks. Hey Buba hold my beer and watch this!!!!!

We blew off about $1000 worth of mortars last night. I don't see what the problem is. We had one that didn't launch very high, but everything here is soaking wet from rain it didn't matter.

No snakes and sparklers here. We get the good stuff!

The biggest population explosion in the USA occurred at a time when:

Guns were not registered. There were no seat belts or airbags. No helmet req'd for motorcycles or bicycles. All fireworks were legal. Basically, you could run with scissors.

Today, at least for caucasions, the birthrate is negative. We are not reproducing. Probably because we are afraid of getting arrested if we "explode",

No motorcycle helmets here, or my neighboring state. Where do you live?

Had the whole block outside lastnight lighting off fireworks with my buddies and I. Was great until the one dick cop showed up and just came after us, next block over was lighting mortars like crazy and didn't stop. We were all being safe everyone has hoses outside and were launching the mortars away from anything flamable. No ticket though :).

The street in front of me and my neighbor's house looks like a war zone right now. We usually shut our street down and have a huge block party on the 4th and new years. This year was kind of tame, but Las Vegas is under a real bad heatwave and is a tinder box right now. My. Charleston is on fire as well.

Government bodies issue hunting licenses because there are many insecure people buying them.

I have no idea how overpopulated geese and ducks are where you live. They are pretty rare around here. If what you say is true, then my guess is they're killing each other because there's not enough food for all of them.

I find it disturbing to describe animals eating crops as "destroying" them. You wanna talk pigeons? Yes, they are very mean to each other. Certainly not worse than humans, though. Then again, you openly support pillaging other countries as it sustains your quality of life. I guess your arrogance have no boundaries.

Hahaha!

Fireworks are great. Our neighborhood had quite the show this year and nobody got hurt.

Had a nice family gathering and shot off a LOT of fireworks. Didn't even finish them all as it became far too late in the evening. So leftovers to come at some other future point. ;) only one good sized fire was started but quickly put out. Everything else was small and or non existent. Good times for all that were there.

The trick.. nobody that had anything to drink got anything more than a sparkler.

ahem,.....OPINIONS are found on the internet. They out number the facts by about 10-1. :D

I was joking. People who are constantly exposed to the Internet and TV, get a "politically correct" edition of life which has been colorized.

There are some serious wildlife issues in the USA. Some species are dying, and we help them, some are in the midst of a population explosion, and we try to help, and others are foreign invaders who are often killing endangered native species.

DGZ apparently has been too exposed to the colorized version, and not done his homework. He has little idea of how all of this is interlaced. An overpopulated species can wipe out an endangered species, and often destroy their own habitat and die of mass starvation. Nice way to die.

So each state works on wildlife management as does the Fed. They don't always get it right, as in the cases of where the Bambi folk interfere with science and experience and end up destroying far more than they can imagine.

The Bambi folk have probably killed more wildlife (and certainly more humans) than hunters every year. The US'es most dangerous animal? Not bears or snakes. Deer kill about 200 people directly each year and injure 30,000 and cause over $1 billion in damages, and help kill off other species in areas where they are overcrowded.

Likewise. We never had much more than a sparkler burn or a finger burn after decades. Nobody ever was listed in Critical Condition, and some of the stuff we played with was far more dangerous than commercial rockets or mortars.

I just had to be a smartass. I sent an email to the Ventura County Fire Dept (where Simi Valley is):

"To reduce the risk of injuries and fires, the Ventura County Fire Department encourages the public to attend authorized firework displays during Independence Day (4th of July) put on by trained professionals."

How's that working out for you? Glad our elected officials know what's best for lowly non-professional taxpayers. That's more injuries that I witnessed in 50 years of celebrating Independence Day.

Back