The [H]ard Forum 2 Terabyte Club

Perhaps I should change the requirement from 1TB to a minimum of X number drives in a single system - say 8?
Ooh, I like that idea! I'd love to see some cases filled with lots of hard drives. :)

Raid Level: N/A
RAID Controller: N/A
Raided Drives: N/A

Single Drives:
6xMaxtor Diamond Max 10 6V300F0 300GB
2xWestern Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB
1xWestern Digital Raptor 74GB

Total Unformatted Space: 2.37TB

Raid Level: 5
RAID Controller: Linux Software
Raided Drives: 8x320 (md1) and 5x400 (md0)

Single Drives:
1x20g WD for OS

Code:
hoth ~ # pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
  /dev/md0   vg00 lvm2 a-   1.09T 2.83G
  /dev/md1   vg01 lvm2 a-   1.75T    0

Perhaps there should be a minimal number of required drives? Like 4+ drives for 2TB? We should set differnt levels for TB clubs, 1TB was a big deal 2 years ago. Now, 1 or 2TB isn't that hard to accomplish. By this time next year, my DVR might have 1TB in it by using a TB hard drive.
Limit the external drive types to SCSI or something higher end. Perhaps specifiy a specific subsystem or minimal external drive req like minimal 3 external drives in an enclosure.
A 10TB club would be a specific mark and sets a different level than just a 2, or 3, or 4TB club. When TB drives come out later this year, we'll be neglecting the 2TB club. I'd vote for a 5TB club, then a 10TB club. Then maybe a 25TB? and a 50TB club?
Once TB drives come out, it would be easy to pick up 1 or 2 TB drives and add it w/o additional thoughts or cards. Adding more hard drives that requires additional ports or cards, requires some thought to be put into the computer.
If the average computer has 1 parallel port or 2 or 4 sata ports, then I could max out drives at 2TB or 4TB using 1TB drives. setting a 5TB limit would require me to actually think of how to add more space to without blindly sticking in drives. Once I have 4+ drives, I would have the option of RAID or just JBOD. I would have to determine a back up strategy and a file organization strategy. I would have to determine what kind of controller to add and think about the cooling and power requirements.
Right now, I'm building a 6 TB server by using 3 x 4port SATA cards and 12 x 500GB drives. 12 x 1TB? So maybe the next limit sohuld be 10TB? just some thoughts...

Maybe pictures should be part of the requirement :p

There is a general storage showoff sticky, that does have rules for # of drives etc, in a bid to get all these threads into one. I believe the minimum requirements are 4 drives and 1TB.

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg

1.6 terabytes

DSCF0176.jpg

1.45 terabytes

DSCF0183.jpg

Fin
DSCF0186.jpg

whew! took more time than it looks!

Rest of pics here

Totals are 3068 gigabytes of total space. advertised is 3400 gigabytes of course.

5 400 gb 7200.10 sata seagate drives
2 250 gb 7200.8 sata seagate drives
2 400 gb 7200.10 ide seagate drives

:).

The psu is a enermax 485 watt active pfc. :)

I just put together a Media Center PC with the following:
4x 500GB drives (Movies)
1x 320GB drive (Music)
1x 80GB drive (Operating System)

I don't have RAID going, I don't feel comfortable with losing everything if something takes a dump in RAID 0, and I don't want to spend more money on drives for higher levels of RAID :p

The great part is I managed to shoehorn all this into this Zelman Case, so I could keep all my media right next to my TV. Thankfully I'm not using many PCI cards, so I had room to mount two of the 500GB drives hanging above the motherboard. The airflow in the case relay is amazing, only two 80mm 'silent' exhaust fans are mounted, and they keep the entire case cool thanks to well placed vents.

TBclub2.jpg

TBclub.jpg

1st pic is a config i made in samurize to show what drives are full....helps me not dump everything on one drive. Its 75% transparent and sits on my desktop.

4 300's
2 750's

8x300gb seagate drives in a raid5 evmsn array on feisty fawn server. works pretty nicely

Back