A lot of my friends are telling me "go get the latest graphics card... put out an extra 100-200 bucks and get the GT or the Ultra."
They claim it is an "investment" that will let my card last.
Quite honestly I don't see the point of shelling out $100-200 more for a 6800 GT or a 6800 Ultra over the 6800 non-ultra.
Tell me if I'm missing something but here's my logic:
The GeForce 6800 non-ultra can run all games including Doom 3 with 2xAA/8xAF at 1280x768 (my LCD's max native resolution). Thus any faster card would just be dumping the extra energy into more AA (Doom 3, when it's moving, doesn't look much different from 2xAA to 4xAA).
If I do get a 6800 GT, my observations from the past are that it will only give me really good performance in today's games, and most likely if I even want to play the next generation games decently I'll have to upgrade again in a year anyhow (for an example my friend's 9800xt has issues playing Doom 3 at his LCD's native 1280x1024 resolution and he paid $530 for that (with tax and such) only 6 months ago.)
So what's the point of getting the 6800 GT over the non-ultra if the non-ultra suits my present needs... I'll just upgade again to the 7800 non-ultra series which may toast even the 6800 GT later on (for the cost of maybe $100 since I'll have saved $100 from having not bought the GT now and gain $150 or so from selling the 6800 non-ultra then)
The way I see it, the GT will give me a good 12 months of gaming at the price of about $40/month and after that, time to upgrade again or suffer with low framerates. The non-ultra will also give me a good 12 months of gaming at about the price of $30/month but at the end the new games will almost be unplayable.
Opinions?
They claim it is an "investment" that will let my card last.
Quite honestly I don't see the point of shelling out $100-200 more for a 6800 GT or a 6800 Ultra over the 6800 non-ultra.
Tell me if I'm missing something but here's my logic:
The GeForce 6800 non-ultra can run all games including Doom 3 with 2xAA/8xAF at 1280x768 (my LCD's max native resolution). Thus any faster card would just be dumping the extra energy into more AA (Doom 3, when it's moving, doesn't look much different from 2xAA to 4xAA).
If I do get a 6800 GT, my observations from the past are that it will only give me really good performance in today's games, and most likely if I even want to play the next generation games decently I'll have to upgrade again in a year anyhow (for an example my friend's 9800xt has issues playing Doom 3 at his LCD's native 1280x1024 resolution and he paid $530 for that (with tax and such) only 6 months ago.)
So what's the point of getting the 6800 GT over the non-ultra if the non-ultra suits my present needs... I'll just upgade again to the 7800 non-ultra series which may toast even the 6800 GT later on (for the cost of maybe $100 since I'll have saved $100 from having not bought the GT now and gain $150 or so from selling the 6800 non-ultra then)
The way I see it, the GT will give me a good 12 months of gaming at the price of about $40/month and after that, time to upgrade again or suffer with low framerates. The non-ultra will also give me a good 12 months of gaming at about the price of $30/month but at the end the new games will almost be unplayable.
Opinions?