The Government Can Download Everything Off Your Computer At Border Crossings

Not to stir up a hornets nest... but I'll do it anyways.

Article III of the Constitution is what gives the US Supreme Court it's power, and SCOTUS ruled that checkpoint searches at international borders did not violate the 4th amendment

so the guys that make the rules want to search you and write/interpret the rules to let them do so legally.

colour me shocked...

You haven't legally entered the country until you pass through the checkpoint.

What about all those internal checkpoints along I-10? While I have not heard of any issues concerning electronic devices at these checkpoints, there are plenty of issues in which citizens get detained or even arrested for invoking the 4th amendment.

What about all those internal checkpoints along I-10? While I have not heard of any issues concerning electronic devices at these checkpoints, there are plenty of issues in which citizens get detained or even arrested for invoking the 4th amendment.

I go through one of the checkpoints on I-25 periodically (about 10 miles north of Las Cruces) ... they have only asked me my citizenship verbally ... I have never been questioned or searched beyond that one question ... on the actual border I don't usually have problems because of using the Sentri lanes (Trusted Traveler) ... they have used the rod to pound on tires and looked in the vehicle but I have never had to open a bag or surrender a device ... once they ran the vehicle through the X-Ray machine (but I think they were pissed at the driver that day) ... I did have to go through a military checkpoint in Mexico a couple of times but they only looked in bags and had no interest in electronic devices (a little more disconcerting though since they all had automatic weapons and there was a machine gun nest nearby :eek: )

Back