the good card point.

Arnge

Limp Gawd
I know we all like the 8800 GTX and ultra weather we can affort it or not, and Nvidia new tech in the 8600GTS and all the new gaming world stuff.

my Question is a bloke like me have a 17" CRT which Res. limits is up to 1280*1024.

and i have a 7900GS why do i need more ?

i mean after i got it i turned into that power crazed man and i look for new cards every day to try and get a new one .

mine is less than a month old BTW.

discuss.

At such a low resolution you dont need a 8800GTX, a 8800GTS would be a better investment, you can probably run the worst perfoming games like Oblivion at that res with all the eye candy on a still get decent frame rates.

You only really need the 8800GTX if you plan on using 1600x1200 or and above (or for widescreen 1680x1050 and above)

You are not getting the point i think a 7900GS is enough :D

What I am not getting is the point of starting this thread. I'm glad you think the 7900 GS is enough. I also agree with you. The only reason why I would think you would want an 8800 series card would be for DX10 games. But if you arent interested in that than you arent interested in that.

Since i have seen the new tech in the 8600 that the 8800 doesn't have

i think G81 VS G82.

won't there be a better 8800 GTS version with the DX 10 and the new tech ?

Well the 8 series of cards is a nice improvement in DX9 games as well. As for if you'd need it at such low resolutions? No way, hold out till DX10 games come out then buy one, until then unless you're running high resolutions, you don't need it.

There are situations in which it makes a difference, despite your relatively low resolution. When I used to game on my p4 2.8 with a 6800gs, I would put all my settings on low so that my 64 player bf2 games could run as smooth as possible. Even then, it would drop down to low 20s fps on occasion. When I tried my buddy's core duo system (pentium 920 maybe?) with a 7900gt, his high settings would drop down to under 30fps as well at 1280 resolution.

With my 8800gts now, I run everything on high with 4xAA and 16AF at 1680x1050 and my fps counter rarely drops far from 100fps (ala fraps), even in intense gun battles with 10+ players on screen. I went from being usually top 3 on server to mostly always #1 with as much as a 60 or 70 point lead on number two. Have I gotten better? Sure I have. But I also didn't play for half a year before i built this system 3 weeks ago. The smooth fps makes a huge difference on multiplayer games like this.

I would only get the highest end card if I were to be getting a high res LCD (or at least intend to get one in the near future - ie. less than six months) to compliment it. That being said, I think getting the fastest card possible will still insure that games will be very playable for years to come at your current resolution. But face it, you're going to eventually change that monitor anyway, whether if you see a great deal, find a model you really like, or your current one dies. :D

Back