The Future of Mortal Kombat

• Thread starter Deleted member 143938
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143938

It's pretty obvious Midway won't last much longer, with them going bankrupt, what will happen to the MK series?

I'm also rewatching the first Mortal Kombat movie, oh god it's so bad haha, I'm only half way through and the only thing that keeps me watching are the occasional Scorpion and Sub-Zero encounters. I can't believe I thought it was amazing back when it came out :p

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, anyone play DC vs. MK? The site reviews said it was ok, but player reviews on the sites said it was pretty good.

Regarding the movie, I rewatched it earlier this semester and I realized the exact same thing as you...it's a pretty terrible movie(but fun to watch).

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny the last time I watched it. Got to admit, it was pretty cool when it came out though!

A friend of mine sent me an MMS of Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe, I think they want to milk this for what it's worth. Next it's the Marvel Universe, Watchmen Universe, Pokemon Universe, Family Guy Universe... blargh :p
eeek.gif
ecstatic.gif

Test your might!
I had that movie when it came out, always thought it was cheesy in one of the best ways

Bah, When MK went 3D I gave up on it. MK2 and MK3 Ultimate were the best... let it die

Test your might!
I had that movie when it came out, always thought it was cheesy in one of the best ways

Bah, When MK went 3D I gave up on it. MK2 and MK3 Ultimate were the best... let it die

I thought 4 was good and Deadly Alliance was good from what I remember as well. I didn't get a chance to play any of the other PS2 versions. Getting MK VS DCU sometime this week and can't wait. Trilogy was fucking awesome as well, best memories from that one.

I really hope Midway won't just dump the series, hopefully it will sell the rights to a good company (Capcom anyone? :eek:)

I was a fan of the early games, but I think they probably peaked with #3 even if they did have to rebalance the game like 6 times. It also had the worst CPU AI of all time.
#4's where everything really went downhill arcade-wise and it pretty much tanked in the face of the other fighting games out there.
The console-only ones are amusing, but not much as far as fighting mechanics go.

MK vs. DC is actually a little bit of a throwback to the old days which isn't terrible.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone pick up the license, but I have no real desire to play another MK. They were always a little bit of a poor man's Street Fighter anyway. Competition-level matches are ugly as hell.

With Capcom's fighting games resurging a little, maybe toss in some MK characters in the next VS. style game.

At this point I really don't care. MK vs DC? Seriously? MK is not MK without friggin gratuitous amounts of blood and comical fatalities. They ruined the series, it is officially dead.

At this point I really don't care. MK vs DC? Seriously? MK is not MK without friggin gratuitous amounts of blood and comical fatalities. They ruined the series, it is officially dead.

QFT

I rented MK vs DC for the weekend, and while the graphics were pretty good and the gameplay is decent, it just isn't MK. For me, MK died after part 3, and this was just another sad attempt to milk a little more money out of a once great franchise. Someone needs to perform a fatality on this series and let it die.

MK1 : Awesome, even Legendary.
MK2 : My favorite arcade game of all time.
MK3 : Pretty good but got kinda weird with the run button.

As far as the future of MK goes....I bet somebody stupid will pick up the IP and try to milk the name. Sounds kinda familiar doesnt it?

MK4 was the beginning of the end. They have absolutely went away from what they used to be and just have gone down into the abyss with the garbage they have released the last 10 years.

What did you guys not like about 4? I started playing MK with my friends around the time MK3 was coming to an end and MK4 was starting to release. MK3 was awesome and had a lot more characters from what I remember, but I don't remember anything wrong with 4

Mortal Kombat II was the best of the series. Mortal Kombat III was alright but past that I didn't care for any of the games.

I don't like the new MK game simply because of having to keep it rated T for Teen not enough gore for my liking with the finishers

I don't like the new MK game simply because of having to keep it rated T for Teen not enough gore for my liking with the finishers

Yeah the fatalities from the videos I've seen are definitely weak. One of them is just some guy jumping on someone elses back and you hear a weak crack.. come on.

Others aren't so bad though, superman one is funny, there were others that I've seen but don't remember that I liked as well. The fatalities weren't what made the games for me (heck I was like 8 years old when I got hooked on the series, I couldn't remember one fatality combo for the life of me), it was the characters and art (and fighting combos were cool too, all of which are intact in MK vs DCU)

I am disappointed with the small amount of characters though. I'd give anything for a game with Sektor, Cyrax, Sheeva, Goro, etc. They just stuck all the famous characters in (even Cage isn't here, dang). That's the only thing that makes me mad. They had awesome characters in Trilogy, and Armageddon selection was just unreal.. and now it's like 11 characters, welcome back to MK1.

Also according to http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/blog/post/690449/XPlay_Goes_Hands_On_With_Kombat_vs_DCU.html, it says
Downloadable content has been hinted at by creator Ed Boon, who has stated that they will be updating the game periodically with new content all the way up to the release of the next installment of the Mortal Kombat series. Although unclear of what specifics would be included, Boon has stated that there will be downloadable content. Other hinted ideas through interviews have suggested alternate costumes, and added chapters to story mode. Ed Boon stated "I'd like to have [DLC] as soon as possible. I think that might be a great Christmas gift to reinvigorate the game.", and hinted at Doomsday and Kung Lao being downloadable characters.

So some DLC is coming before Christmas

Green Lantern's Heroic Brutality is pretty epic. If only they had let the game be Mature rated then it would be even more epic.

all the points you raise are the reasons why I played it on my genesis :) back in the day but the finishers were always gruesome even for my 5-10 year old mind back in the day lol and I loved the game for that added bit of violence.

The art style was crazy good though!

all the points you raise are the reasons why I played it on my genesis :) back in the day but the finishers were always gruesome even for my 5-10 year old mind back in the day lol and I loved the game for that added bit of violence.

The art style was crazy good though!
Um .... no

I don't think there's a single decent finisher in that game.... except the unedited Joker. And of course Toasty is always a classic.

I use to love MK games, MK 1-3

Ever since they became 3D, its just not the same anymore. The fatalities are all kind of boring in 3D

all this talk just made me bust out the MAME disks and play MK2 lol... i literally spent weeks memorising the combos and fatalitys back in the day, yet alone spending all my pocket money on the arcade of it :D

Tears for Midway. MK is a true part of my gaming soul and I've had an amazing experience with MK-MKIII. Hope there's a way they can turn it around!

yeah its a shame if it were to happen to MK 2

M$ should use some of their spending power to get these ip's with no current home..

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, anyone play DC vs. MK? The site reviews said it was ok, but player reviews on the sites said it was pretty good.

Regarding the movie, I rewatched it earlier this semester and I realized the exact same thing as you...it's a pretty terrible movie(but fun to watch).

It's on a long list of games I have to play. I'm going to try to rent it over the holidays.

Mortal Kombat is a dead franchise. With Politicians taking bribes from game companies, err, warming to video games, the video game world no longer needs a mortal kombat or grand theft auto for everyone to get pissed at.

I agree with this. The last time I remember MK in it's awesomeness was when Ultimate MK3 was out in the arcades. Talk about good times. I watched some of the fatalities from MK vs DC and I couldn't stop laughing at how sad they were. You can laugh with me by watching this: http://kotaku.com/5093725/lets-watch-every-single-mk-vs-dc-fatality

Mortal Kombat II was the best of the series. Mortal Kombat III was alright but past that I didn't care for any of the games.

Couldn't agree more. I think the last MK I played on a regular basis was MK III....the ones that came later never really appealed to me.

I'm reading the MK story at wiki and it's really fascinating, I only watched the first MK movie and it did a terrible job at telling the story, there were so many missing pieces. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_(series)

I think somewhere in this article it also mentions that Midway is going to release the final MK game in the series in 2012 called Mortal Kombat: Deadly Fate but with them going down, I doubt it's going to happen.

I really liked how all the characters had the same basic moves (with the exception of combos, which had a lot of emphasis). I'll admit, I'm pretty dumb and I definitely don't like to think when I play games, hence why I mostly play shooters. But with today's games like VF and SC and with different sets of moves and all that shit, it just places a lot of thought into the fighting itself and less on the fun (beating the crap out of somebody with awesome moves and later a fatality), and to me it's quite a turn off.

I won't lie, I do hope Midway will keep going and develop this series further. As someone else said, I guess it's a matter of taste, and we might be a small audience, but the reasons above are what separate the fun simplicity of the MK series and the overly complicated SC and VF with their millions of moves for every character and retarded stances. If I really wanted to customize my character that much I'd just become some kind of a fighter myself IRL

Liu Kang in MK1 the movie inspired me and many of my asian brethren that red-necks weren't the only ones capable of growing a nice long mullet

Back