The free ride is over!

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got an email from HP about the cloud services beta beginning to charge.

The largest 8 Core virtual machine will cost $1.28 an hour. Probably not a good option for folding. ;)

Basically pricing scales with memory. It works out to $.04 per hour per gig. With memory amounts preset.

Yep. I was actually think about keeping one 2 vCPU instance around for web hosting, but between their pricing and stability, it is not worth it. I will keep my instances going until about the first of the month.

oh darn .. then whoever took over my account, please close it .. :D

Yeah, just read the email myself. It was nice while it lasted. Time to start planning my next home upgrades. Perfect timing with IB launching relatively soon.

Anyone have suggestions for adding 20 cores to my home farm on the cheap?

WCG only, no FAH ...

Yea, just read the notice. It was nice while it lasted. Time to start planning my next home upgrades. Perfect timing with IB launching relatively soon.

Any suggestions on adding 20 cores to my home farm?

20 cores??? Jeez... I don't have a HOPE compared to the hardware you guys throw at F@H! :D

Oh well... every bit helps, right? ;) Gratz on your research efforts!

Yeah, just read the email myself. It was nice while it lasted. Time to start planning my next home upgrades. Perfect timing with IB launching relatively soon.

Anyone have suggestions for adding 20 cores to my home farm on the cheap?

WCG only, no FAH ...

well with WCG clocks are more important then anything since it can't take advantage of the multi-threading. still think lga-1155 sandy bridge is the most cost effective way to go with a cheap motherboard that can overclock.

well with WCG clocks are more important then anything since it can't take advantage of the multi-threading. still think lga-1155 sandy bridge is the most cost effective way to go with a cheap motherboard that can overclock.

A 2500K with a decent overclock will beat both overclocked 8120 and 1045T in WCG PPD by a considerable margin, and is pretty efficient power wise as well. I have all 3.

A 2500K with a decent overclock will beat both overclocked 8120 and 1045T in WCG PPD by a considerable margin, and is pretty efficient power wise as well. I have all 3.

I'm getting 22-24K PPD with my 28 cores (20 HPCS + 8 cores in sig). Are these your only WCG boxes? You're getting similiar PPD with 10 less cores.

Last edited:
I am getting 22-24K PPD with my 28 cores (20 HPCS + 8 cores in sig). Are these your only WCG boxes? You're getting similiar PPD with 10 less cores.

No, they are not...and I have few more logs to throw on the fire soon. :)

The rest of the current farm:
There's an old dual core P4 820 at work that I don't pay power one. :) (Its actually managed to rack up 2.7M WCG points over the years)
A couple of work laptops
C32 Dual 4130s

Gonna start costing money on May 10th... have a bunch of alarms and reminders set for May 8th+9th! You have to call HP to cancel the account so I hope that goes smoothly.

Why's that? There's a "Cancel My Account" button right in the Account section under Miscellaneous.

Have either of you clicked that button? It takes you to a page with a phone number and your account number you tell the guys on the phone. nothing else.

Really?

I just hear this huge sucking sound.

And dont forget about s3v3n and his 400+ clients running on the cloud. OCN's PPD is going to take a big dive here in a few days. Unless of course he wants to pay the $65,000.00+ Per week bill. :eek: Which I very seriousley doubt he even has a job. Since he posted early on about using his parrents creditcard.

Do you really even need to cancel or just de-provision all of your instances? I thought they only charged for active provisioned capacity.

They really do make it a pain, even with no active instances. After calling in they then send an email you must reply to with more info rather than just doing it on the phone.
Code:
Hello KMac,
To process your cancelation request we will require some additional information.
•	Your Tenant ID
•	Your Account ID
•	Reason for cancelation
 Please delete all running instances and storage containers to expedite the cancelation process. 
You can find your Tenant ID in the management console under account then your API keys.
You can find your Account ID in the management console under miscellaneous.

I just got off the CHAT session with Tim Garcia (from HPCS). It is very easy to do

Tim Garcia: To process your cancellation request we will require some additional information.
- Your Tenant ID
- Your Account ID
You can find your Tenant ID in the management console under account then your API keys.
You can find your account ID in the management console under miscellaneous.

You: by deleting all instances and storage, I won't be getting any bill after may 10? Is that correct?
Tim Garcia: correct

You: HP Cloud Object Storage ..
Tim Garcia: as long as it is empty you are good to go.

Back