The Framerate Police

The game developers shouldn't have made that choice in the first place. Back in the i496 days we had that turbo button to cut CPU performance basically in half to deal with software that was written so badly as to not perform correctly on modern hardware. That was back in the mid-1990's. There is no fucking excuse for that shit in 2015. Any developer that does that isn't worth a damn and needs a history lesson in PC gaming.

What he said.

Never used the curator thing either but I'll keep an eye on it. Never played any on his list, all pretty old but still good to know.

What he said.

Never used the curator thing either but I'll keep an eye on it. Never played any on his list, all pretty old but still good to know.

A lot of that stuff is either really old or an indie title. One of the games on that list is X-Wing by Lucasarts. That game is one of the examples I think of when I talk about the problems games have when physics are tied to frame rates. That game was locked at 30FPS and if your hardware pushed it faster you'd basically load up for a mission and die instantly. If you played on a i486 or early Pentium you would have to toggle the turbo button into the off position to gimp your machine so that the game would run right. There was a lot of software that worked that way. This practice was abandoned or thought to have been largely abandoned by developers because of issues faced by the huge increases in hardware at such regular intervals.

A lot of that stuff is either really old or an indie title. One of the games on that list is X-Wing by Lucasarts. That game is one of the examples I think of when I talk about the problems games have when physics are tied to frame rates. That game was locked at 30FPS and if your hardware pushed it faster you'd basically load up for a mission and die instantly. If you played on a i486 or early Pentium you would have to toggle the turbo button into the off position to gimp your machine so that the game would run right. There was a lot of software that worked that way. This practice was abandoned or thought to have been largely abandoned by developers because of issues faced by the huge increases in hardware at such regular intervals.
the turbo button was implemented for those old games that were tied to CPU timing

How about games capped at 60fps? I skipped Rage and Wolfenstein because of the lame 60fps cap.

Spore was one. Supper annoying because, besides that, I actually sort of liked it (or parts of it).

I sort of liked Spore too, then after a few minutes I left the first life stage...

But seriously, if they could have made the space stage less tedious I would have liked that game a bit more.

I thought they mostly locked to 30 to try and keep in sync with monitor refresh rates of 60hz which would avoid jutter or tearing.

How many of you have played titles on this list (on the PC of course) and didnt notice?

Well not notice till now.
lol yeah, browsing half-way through the list so far I've played a few and it didn't really matter. But it does explain why GTA games' fluidy sucks so badly. I had chalked it up to driver rot.

Back