• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

The format failed to complete

sm8000

Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
525
I picked up a couple more IBM Ultrastar 36Z15 SCSI drives but was only able to work with one this weekend. First, it is connected to an LSI 8953U with LSI BIOS 4.19.00. Termination and jumpering are okay, in fact the card detects it, formats it and verifies it without any problems reported. I then boot into Windows, and in diskmgmt.msc I create a partition and format, all at default settings. It formats all the way to 99 or 100 per cent (can't remember which) and then reports an error message, "The format failed to complete." Then Disk Management says the partition is healthy and at full capacity. Why would this be? Should I RMA this drive?
 
Have you tried formatting with a different utlity, like using DOS FDISK on it first and then Format?
 
Back
Top