The First Annual.... (Contest)

Kvothe

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2006
hbowljpg0tg.jpg

Lady (mach), Gentlemen, and Queen Mary

As Fall is now upon us, we're proud to roll out a new form of gauntlet.... The First Annual [H]ordeBowl!

What is the [H]ordeBowl:

The [H]ordeBowl is a Boxen vs. Boxen gauntlet using a Fantasy Football scoring system, using Divisions/Conferences/Playoff systems.

When is the [H]ordeBowl:

The actual [H]ordeBowl will be held on February 5th, coinciding with the Super Bowl. Playoffs and regular season games will coincide with the remainder of the football schedule. Further details on these will be given in the weeks leading up to the seasons kickoff.

Why the [H]ordeBowl:

Because sometimes the regular runoff scenario get's a little old. We've got tons of different stats to play with, so we figured why not use them! Also, this isn't a fastest boxen contest, with the way the points system will be used, the fastest boxen may not win, so all you "Underdogs" out there have just as good a shot as everyone else, not to mention one boxen is all you need.

Further information on prizes, contest rules, signups and etc. will be coming in the next two or three weeks, so keep a look out for them!

As always this contest is not administered by [H]ardOCP, so don't bug Kyle, Steve or any one else about it. This contest brough to you by p[H]ant0m, K*, and Viper. Thanks to Moose for his support and ideas for getting this off the ground!

Any questions, replies or thoughts are welcome!

I'm always up for contests, 2 just isn't enough for me!

So how will everything work? (you think I'm doing to wait a couple weeks?)

chileman said:
So how will everything work? (you think I'm doing to wait a couple weeks?)

In time, in time. ;)

Have patience... that post is going to take a long time to write. :D

Definately in on this..... let me know if where/if I need to help somehow!

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

OSUguy98 said:
Definately in on this..... let me know if where/if I need to help somehow!

Actually, depending on the number of entrants, we'll probably need plenty of help. :D

Lot's of paperwork and stats keeping to do!

mmmm... Excel stuff :D

OSUguy98 said:
mmmm... Excel stuff :D

You have no idea... most of it's done already, there's just alot of it if there's alot of players.

p[H]ant0m said:
You have no idea... most of it's done already, there's just alot of it if there's alot of players.

*crying* but.... you... didn't.... need.... *sobbing now* your local Excel guru?!?!??! :D

Just let me know how I can help! ;)

Oh, I'm in for sure!
I love Fantasy Sports... I love Folding... Why not combine the two? :D

Subscribed. This could be fun.

Dark Ember said:
Oh, I'm in for sure!
I love Fantasy Sports... I love Folding... Why not combine the two? :D

That's what brought this about... I finally did fantasy football this year and after doing that for a few weeks now, we started into looking at how we could mash the two together. :D

Once we get more of the details written up and stuff, I think you guys'll be plesantly surprised.

Will there be a F@H Conference (F@HC) and a UD Conference (UDC) or is this F@H-specific?

I like UD, but if there aren't any races/divisions/playoffs/[H]ordeBowls, I may have to switch to F@H.

To keep things on even ground, this is F@H specific, although if there is enough interest, we could look into adding a UD only group. The problem is the stats don't translate too well between each other.

Good idea though, I'll add it to my list of things to look into!

I'm not sure they could pull that one off..... UD scoring is based on the system and how fast it finished it...... not the protein.... I think it would be impossible to relate the two scoring systems....

Though, the division idea isn't half bad... East vs West? North vs South? noobs vs vets? hmmm

OSUguy98 said:
Though, the division idea isn't half bad... East vs West? North vs South? noobs vs vets? hmmm

There's going to be divisions, but they'll depend on the number of entrants, if we have entrants equally spread throughout the land, you can be assured of regional splits. I want to maintain an identical setup to the playoffs as they are now. Conferences is also up there too, again, just depends on numbers. :D

Playoffs, Wildcards... you name it, we've got it! (well maybe;))

Sweet! :D

need more cheerleaders! :D lol

OSUguy98 said:
Sweet! :D

need more cheerleaders! :D lol

You do realize thats an invitation for mary to come in here and give us his "broad interpretation" of a cheerleader!?!? :eek:

Please god no.... my eyes are burning at the thought!!

OSUguy98 said:
Please god no.... my eyes are burning at the thought!!

first you would need one of those 24"+ widescreens to fit the picture all in :p

p[H]ant0m said:
That's what brought this about... I finally did fantasy football this year and after doing that for a few weeks now, we started into looking at how we could mash the two together. :D

Once we get more of the details written up and stuff, I think you guys'll be plesantly surprised.

Awesome - Its a great idea. I've honestly never played fantasy football before, but this was my 7th season of fantasy baseball. I've become totally addicted to statistics since then... Its actually one of the reasons why I started folding. Plenty of statistics to track. :eek:

So if in Fantasy football you can pick your players... Do we get to pick whose boxen we want on our team?

Im in.

Kermit said:
So if in Fantasy football you can pick your players... Do we get to pick whose boxen we want on our team?

You'll need to take one of your boxen, give a separate name from what you normally fold under, and submit that as the boxen you're going to use for the duration of the contest. Substitutions are not allowed as we need to be able to verify 1 boxen active at all times.

Rich Tate said:
I'm in for the game, and to offer a helping hand if needed.

Oh, you have no idea what we have in store for you! ;) News-boy!

p[H]ant0m said:
Oh, you have no idea what we have in store for you! ;) News-boy!

You know just once, could someone let me in on what i'm supposed to be doing beforehand?!
;)

Rich Tate said:
You know just once, could someone let me in on what i'm supposed to be doing beforehand?!
;)

UM no that would be how things should be done, and well just NO

Sounds like fun p[H]ant0m, Should be fun.

i'll give it a whirl though i am having a [H]ard time with the thought of giving up the ppd for anything!

is there any other way to do it? based off of machine ID or some other identifying way? If 50 of us participate, and we each make a new username, that's 50 "new" members and 50 "new" CPUs for Stanford and all the other stat sites like Hardfolding......

Rockaholic said:
hopefully its not too complicated for us mentally challenged folders :confused:

Actually once you get entered, we do all of the stats tracking for you. I've been working with K* on setting up some Excel sheets that take the stats, do the calculations and spit out the results. It's just up to you to get that boxen folding as hard as it can!

OSUguy98 said:
is there any other way to do it? based off of machine ID or some other identifying way? If 50 of us participate, and we each make a new username, that's 50 "new" members and 50 "new" CPUs for Stanford and all the other stat sites like Hardfolding......

this is a true problem... news names as as people stop with the game our little active member will drop...

This is something we've talked about, but I know of no way to get specific stats short of sending log files and calculating on a per unit basis. I'm thinking the involvement of machine ID's is probably well beyond the scope of anything we're able to process independently.

That is one thing Grid.org has up on Stanford, they are setup to allow you to get the stats of a specific ID.

I don't think it is a big deal to setup a new username for the contest....

The way I see it, it is the only way to do it really. Constructive suggestions are welcomed though. :)

AtomicMoose said:
I don't think it is a big deal to setup a new username for the contest....

The way I see it, it is the only way to do it really. Constructive suggestions are welcomed though. :)

Well since only you guys know how it works it is kind of hard to make suggestions... maybe when we get some details :)

Duster said:
Well since only you guys know how it works it is kind of hard to make suggestions... maybe when we get some details :)

The big thing is this is the only way I know of to get single box stats. So many of us have multiple boxen, our current usernames would be unable to be used. Now if you've got a single boxen, you can enter as your current F@H name, but short of Stanford providing the stats for a single boxen, I can't see another way to do it.

Back