The file is not in a recognizable format. OFFICE 2K

jcg624

Limp Gawd
I get this error ile is not in a recognizable format, when trying to open a .xlsx or docx file
in office 2000. I do have the compatibility pack installed.

The os is windows 7. I have uninstalled office and compatibility pack. I rebooted
reinstalled office, rebooted installed the office sp3 update, rebooted. Install
the compatibility pack. I still get the same error. On my own laptop I can open
similar xlsx and docx files.

Please help. The user has left for the day so I will not be able to troubleshoot further
until tomorrow.

Article here seems to point to Office being unable (or unhappy) to open a file from the Open dialog. There are lots of suggestions to just double-click form Explorer.

It also mentions that there might be file corruption or an element that is converting incorrectly and causing a problem.

You say "similar" files. Can you open this file on your laptop? If you can, can you save it in a format that the other machine can see? Granted, not a great workaround.

OpenOffice (and the like; maybe even Google Docs?) should be able to read .docx files and resave them as previous versions.

I'd be willing to be that the *.docx and *.xlsx files are in the office 2007 format then. In which case even with the compatibility pack, Office 2000 won't be able to open them.

Edit: looks like they are! Found your post requesting for a converter: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038466875#post1038466875

I'd go with the Open Office converter that arkamw mentioned above. Should work like a charm, you'll just loose a lot of functionality, especially with excel by down converting. Otherwise, I'd suggest upgrading to at least Office 2007.

Last edited:
I get this error ile is not in a recognizable format, when trying to open a .xlsx or docx file
in office 2000. I do have the compatibility pack installed.

The os is windows 7. I have uninstalled office and compatibility pack. I rebooted
reinstalled office, rebooted installed the office sp3 update, rebooted. Install
the compatibility pack. I still get the same error. On my own laptop I can open
similar xlsx and docx files.

Please help. The user has left for the day so I will not be able to troubleshoot further
until tomorrow.
Try to use http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/excel.html
Software repairs excel worksheets, fonts, formulas, cells, columns, rows and etc. It handles such Excel errors as: Microsoft Excel unable to read file or This file is not in a recognizable format. Tool has the compatibility with Windows 98 and higher. Its interface doesn't require special skills and is simple for novices.

Back