The Female Form In Gaming

This guy is totally on to something. My parents have a hell of a time trying to filter out that stuff for the younger gamers in our house. It's near-impossible to find a game that does have the T&A factor going for the ladies, and guys with arms as wide as my entire body.

didnt read the artice but jiggle technology sounds awesome
:D
now people will have a real excuse never to leave their homes
:rolleyes:

is this a male flaw or just normal for humans? final fantasy has a huge following of female players (expecially asian, like my gf). They are obsessed with "hot"/"cute" guys in anime/ff7, should we criticize them?

video games are fantasy regardless of looks

I think he's onto something, but takes too much time placing the blame solely on men. In fact, if you look at most (all?) women's magazine, you'll see tons and tons of the same airbrushed, busty, suspiciously attractive women and these are put there by writers, editors, etc...that are female. So while it may have been primarily men in old hollywood that started the ideal, there are as many women as men today that continue to uphold and reinforce it.

As for the control of women because of the association with nature and man's need to control nature, that's a load of women's studies B$. Why did an ideal get pushed? Men like to look at women with nice breasts and a trim waist, they will buy/rent/view media that has these images. It has nothing to do with a secret plan to control women, but rather to look at what sells and meet the demands of that market. It wasn't a need to suppress nature that caused the change, it was capitalism.

No thanks, i'll make racket in the sack with my girlfriend for REAL thank you very much.

And to further address this point, my wife and several of my RL female friends game. When they do, and it's a game where you have some input into how your characters look, with very few exceptions they create characters that either, 1) resemble them in RL or 2) characters that would be considered attractive. It's the reason we don't play the horde, she didn't like any of the female horde models. So, from my large sampling (N = about 6, heh) even when given the option, some women will still choose a character that is "attractive". Now, is this just because of media influence that has clouded their judgement, or the fact that women tend to make themselves up as much for other women as themselves, that's another argument in and of itself. But to assume that they would only play the big-breasted, slim-waisted, game character if forced to by developers is shortsighted and wrong.

Bah, read that whole thing and nothing developed with this elusive jiggle technology... must search harder...

The article is bullshit... well, the stuff they say is true, but they ignore the other side of the coin.

How many male video game heroes are short, balding, fat, or lacking is muscle tone? Women are always talking about how they are being objectified, but men are objectified just as much in the popular media, including games.

KidzMD said:
1 - Larry Laffer. RIP, Sierra Games...

Heh, that sort of popped into my head after I posted the thread... actually, Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude was one of the most fun games I played last year... I should dig it back out and finish it.

The comedic aspect of LSL just would not work, if Larry looked like Brad Pitt or Denzel Washington.. It just would not be as funny..

NulloModo said:
The article is bullshit... well, the stuff they say is true, but they ignore the other side of the coin.

How many male video game heroes are short, balding, fat, or lacking is muscle tone? Women are always talking about how they are being objectified, but men are objectified just as much in the popular media, including games.

good point

I might also add...anyone actually read a girls magazine...vogue for example. It's targeted towards women and all they show are the same things. You'd think if this objectiving were serious enough that women magazines wouldn't perpetuate it.

It wasn't a guy that wrote the article, it was a woman... I'm led to believe most of you didn't read the whole thing at all. Even Steve.

Thread title is so misleading!!!

I thought this was going to pics of female gamers

Girls like to look at pretty girls just like guys do. Games are no different, the chick can either look or fantasize just as much as guys do.

I see no problem with it...it sells, so the majority of folks must like it too.

IceWind said:

That was the stupidest movie.

Well, the movie wasn't bad...just the acting and directing.
Then again, it's an M-TV production. Definitely NO match for Trinity.

I just scrolled through that whole article.

Not a single pic, wtf?

Awww cmon. Nearly every game with a femme in it she's busty as hell. Look at the clown you play in Doom3 exp. yet the good scientist manages to have like DD shit going on. It's like this in virtually every game and ALL of the female gamers I know (Which aren't many.....hmmmm wonder why?) find it offensive.

If you take another look at game characters you'll notice that males aren't the only guilty party. You also have every kind (actually more variety!) of hot, sexy, MALE characters in everygame. And these guys have pecs that are just as exaggerated as the females, if not more so.

In the games that tries to show the characters in a more realistic way (Which is becoming more and more common now), the females don't have the 'jiggle' factor, but the guys are still ripped!

Sly said:
If you take another look at game characters you'll notice that males aren't the only guilty party. You also have every kind (actually more variety!) of hot, sexy, MALE characters in everygame. And these guys have pecs that are just as exaggerated as the females, if not more so.

In the games that tries to show the characters in a more realistic way (Which is becoming more and more common now), the females don't have the 'jiggle' factor, but the guys are still ripped!
Yeah just look at Tidus, (Complete nerd) Wakka (where do I even start with Captain Cowlick), and Auron (Grumpy old man) Next to Rikku, Yuna and Lulu. It's exactly the same! :rolleyes:

<IMO>

<First off>

An over-analysis, denial of her own narcissistic tendencies while crawling out of a contemporary norm that can be summed up as “most women have guy facial features if they aren't wearing make-up”. Add to that, an overcompensating ego that'd make God herself blush while conveniently ignoring her own insecurity, why she feels this way and who is actually responsible for her feelings.

<The content itself>

Taking a giant leap into Bizarro World (TV-land to you and me and how both demographic genders are portrayed and mistreated).

The distinction of pleasantness adds to experience and attractiveness is part of that positive experience. That said, I'll still want to be the first to hurl the stone at the princess identity (but not when it means trading one abuser for another).

Shovelling shit down our throats hasn't worked in the past and probably won't work in the future. Engaging as an unequivocal equal has always worked; it also represents an undesirable loss of power.

<Finally>

There is no room in the authors' world for a mentor like Darth Kreia, (who'd be too busy slapping me in the face with (or *experiencing) her bloody womanhood), I find that offensive on several levels. IMO, the author is one sick puppy

<For the record>

-PR folk take things to excesses.
-Ms. Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan have more jiggle and wiggle per page then the Dallas Cowboys -- and more then what the entire gaming community will ever be able to render (and that's a lot).
-It's the old spiel in convincing a consumer that she has a problem and selling her the enchanted snake oil. Still a viable form for moving a product and pushing a mindset.
-The worst offenders in popular media are also the backbone of the squeakiest wheel, Turner, Fox, Version, Toyota commercials often project the guilt trip and liberty in the same sentence. Few other broadcasters engage in such low-brow and disreputable behavior (unless you live in canada)

</IMO>

NulloModo said:

Tex Murphy. Access Software. RIP

Worldhammer said:
Yeah just look at Tidus, (Complete nerd) Wakka (where do I even start with Captain Cowlick), and Auron (Grumpy old man) Next to Rikku, Yuna and Lulu. It's exactly the same! :rolleyes:
You see, though, a lot of these people (such as Tidus---or more specifically Tidus) are meant to have that new trendy stupid ass emo-look complete with makeup and everything! Total trendy-image-subconcience crap. All the male characters in the Final Fantasy games look like girls....and look what the kids are doing nowadays...dressing with ASS-TIGHT, super low cut girl pants, wearing makeup and shit, trying to look all sad...it's rediculous....but I think the person in the OP's article is spot on. You might see just as much 52 inch male chests in games as you see large female ones....but a female doesnt look at a videogame character normally and say "oh I'd like to ^&%$# him!" It's different...guys aren't effected by images with huge buff guys in it...women are effected...if they see a character with huge boobs and a perfect body, then it stcks with them...they feel they have to be that way, and/or are grossed out by it.

lesman said:
It's different...guys aren't effected by images with huge buff guys in it...women are effected...if they see a character with huge boobs and a perfect body, then it stcks with them...they feel they have to be that way, and/or are grossed out by it.

Imagine a girl walking up to a guy, staring at his crotch, looking him in the eye, then telling him, "Nice C*ck".

Imagine a guy walking up to a girl, staring at her breasts, looking her in the eye, then telling her, "Nice T*ts".

Now then. who do you think is more offended, who is more proud? What would be the best outcome? Both equally offended? How about equally complimented?...I'm guessing that most people will be imagining one of the receiving genders to be far more offended, while the other is probably gloating inside.

kelbear said:
Imagine a girl walking up to a guy, staring at his crotch, looking him in the eye, then telling him, "Nice C*ck".

Imagine a guy walking up to a girl, staring at her breasts, looking her in the eye, then telling her, "Nice T*ts".

Now then. who do you think is more offended, who is more proud? What would be the best outcome? Both equally offended? How about equally complimented?...I'm guessing that most people will be imagining one of the receiving genders to be far more offended, while the other is probably gloating inside.

Both outcomes would be the same depending on what he or she wanted to hear.

If a 300 pound girl came up to you and said that, what'd be your first response? If the guy another girl really really wanted to meet, did that, what'd be her response?

If nothing else it shows that guys are a bit more understanding.

Da Frechman said:
Both outcomes would be the same depending on what he or she wanted to hear.

If a 300 pound girl came up to you and said that, what'd be your first response? If the guy another girl really really wanted to meet, did that, what'd be her response?

If nothing else it shows that guys are a bit more understanding.

//kidding

Thought 1: Damn she's fat.

Thought 2: My C*ck is awesome. I'm king of the world.

Thought 3: Now how do I make her go away?

Women want men to see beneath their exterior and analyze what's beneath the skin, rather than just idolize them as sex objects.

Men want women to idolize them as sex as objects, but women keep trying to see beneath their exterior and analyze what's beneath the skin.

//kidding

Now for some whimsically serious humor:

People love to generalize.

I'm either living in Bizarro world or I lucked out. Because my girlfriend wanted me to buy her Playboy: the Mansion more than I did. First thing she did in the game was get laid. First thing I did? Set the groundwork to the empire. It wasn't until about 4 hours into the game that I finally decided to change clothes on one of the models and decided what the hell, put her in a bikini, even though I could have her walk around topless. And yet I didn't.

No, I'm not kidding you.

I guess for me it's like this - The eycandy's great as an attention getter and something to look at when you're bored enough, but if the game sucks, the game sucks, end of story. I still do tabletop roleplaying as a form of gaming, so graphics and visuals are not an absolute requirement for me. For me it's like I didn't buy the game to look at some jiggling boobies. One, I have a girlfriend already, and two, even if I didn't, there's always that 'other' brand of movie that we all know is out there. And if I honestly wanted to see something along those lines, I'd just hit that up instead.

Bottom line though? Sex sells. Anyone who doesn't think so hasn't been paying attention to the way the world works. And it's not just America or Europe or 'civilized' countries and nations. Even in the most primitive seeming culture there are social taboos and pleasantries that both men and women do to get the attention of the opposite sex. Some of them probably make no sense to us, but to them, we're just as weird.

kelbear said:

For some reason i think the girl would be less offended if you had said "Nice @ss". :D

KidzMD said:
...with very few exceptions they create characters that either, 1) resemble them in RL or 2) characters that would be considered attractive....

Careful, I wouldn't let her read that, the logical assumption from the use of the word "or" could get you sleeping on the couch...

Worldhammer said:

Hmm, I never saw Tidus come off as a Nerd... Tidus and Wakka both had the whole buff surfer boy thing going on. Auron had his huge Phallic sword, and Wakka fought things with balls... I mean, come on, think about it :D

Da Frechman said:
<IMO>

<First off>

An over-analysis, denial of her own narcissistic tendencies while crawling out of a contemporary norm that can be summed up as “most women have guy facial features if they aren't wearing make-up”. Add to that, an overcompensating ego that'd make God herself blush while conveniently ignoring her own insecurity, why she feels this way and who is actually responsible for her feelings.

<The content itself>

Taking a giant leap into Bizarro World (TV-land to you and me and how both demographic genders are portrayed and mistreated).

The distinction of pleasantness adds to experience and attractiveness is part of that positive experience. That said, I'll still want to be the first to hurl the stone at the princess identity (but not when it means trading one abuser for another).

Shovelling shit down our throats hasn't worked in the past and probably won't work in the future. Engaging as an unequivocal equal has always worked; it also represents an undesirable loss of power.

<Finally>

There is no room in the authors' world for a mentor like Darth Kreia, (who'd be too busy slapping me in the face with (or *experiencing) her bloody womanhood), I find that offensive on several levels. IMO, the author is one sick puppy

<For the record>

-PR folk take things to excesses.
-Ms. Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan have more jiggle and wiggle per page then the Dallas Cowboys -- and more then what the entire gaming community will ever be able to render (and that's a lot).
-It's the old spiel in convincing a consumer that she has a problem and selling her the enchanted snake oil. Still a viable form for moving a product and pushing a mindset.
-The worst offenders in popular media are also the backbone of the squeakiest wheel, Turner, Fox, Version, Toyota commercials often project the guilt trip and liberty in the same sentence. Few other broadcasters engage in such low-brow and disreputable behavior (unless you live in canada)

</IMO>

Couldn't agree more.

One more time ...

The distinction of pleasantness adds to experience and attractiveness is part of that positive experience.

fhey said:
Careful, I wouldn't let her read that, the logical assumption from the use of the word "or" could get you sleeping on the couch...
True, wasn't very well written. To put it better would be 1) create a character that looks like her or 2) while not being as magnificently radiant as she is, would still be considered attractive.

:p

A lot of women are vain and EXTREMELY insecure, even I am guilty of it. For some girls they feel the *need* to look attractive to the degrading standards large breast, and sluttish clothing.

It gets very annoying staring at women that have more breast then they do firepower on some games.

I can go on this subject for a long while, it wont change anything so I'm not gonna really bother too much.

And yes, alot of women are just as guilty as guy on this subject as they display guys with chiseled bodies on things. Honestly though displaying guys like that in games isn't always the fault of a female, but that of a few guys who designed the game.

Its just the way society is, both men and women. Look at all the women gawking at the guys on all the T.V. shows like Laguna Beach, The O.C. and all those other crappy shows.

Funny story, one time back in high school, my friends were looking at an issue of Maxim magazine. This issue featured a girl on the cover that was actually computer generated (told you this on the inside cover). My friend saw the inside cover and yelled, "NAAAHHHH! AIRBRUSHED BITCHES!" Everybody looked at him, including the teacher.

"I said, 'Make him somebody I want to sleep with,' " he says. "What we had before was this kind of big, bald fellow with all these tattoos, but there wasn't any charisma there.
---Clive Barker on Undying

Point being, game developers have, for the most part, ZERO vision. Hence, we get big tittied women and big, tough, neanderthal men in our games. Combined with the fact that 99.9% of game developers are scrawny geeks, the psychology behind this isn't very complicated.

Why in gods name you people listen to idiots I'll never understand. It's just a bunch of women who are afraid they can't live up to mens expectations.

Now lets see here.

#1 Men do it too.

No you say? There's isn't a man who isn't worried about the size of his penis and who hasn't tried to work out to try to get larger muscles.

#2 Men have video games and Women have Life Time.

You've ever seen the men in Lifetime? Let me let you in on something. Women had been given the image of the perfect man since she was a kid. It's called Ken from those Barbie dolls.

#3 Nobody cares.

In every cultures we are obsessive over cetain things on a womens body. Just so happens to be T&A. Be glad it wasn't like the Japanese years ago when they loved women with small feet.

Women care 10X more about their looks compared to men. It's the women who can't measure up who bitch about what men like to see. Don't worry laddies. Wile you're getting breast implants we're getting vacuum pumps for our schlongs.

At the end you just gotta deal with it cause I can't imagine women with no T&A.

When will people start to understand that games are not reality? Your boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband isn't going to leave you just because you don't look like "Joanna Dark" or "Jin Kazama".

Back