The DS Lite is a much needed upgrade.

placeboFx

Limp Gawd
I just picked up my DS lite and it rocks. The screens are so much better looking and the buttons and weight of the system make it much easier to play for long time periods.

Are the screens that much better? I thought the only addition was the variable lighting and smaller size. Do you have any comparison shots to the original DS? I might grab one if they did improve the screen quite a bit.

IcedEmotion said:
Are the screens that much better? I thought the only addition was the variable lighting and smaller size. Do you have any comparison shots to the original DS? I might grab one if they did improve the screen quite a bit.

Picked mine up this morning and the screens are beautiful. Also, nobody has mentioned this, but the speakers on my lite are 10x better than the original ds

Got mine this morning and it's at least 20x better than the original DS. From build quality, to the new stylus, to the beautiful screens (compared to the original at least). This is what should have come out first and I recommend everyone that has the original to upgrade.

I have a 1st gen DS w/ M3 that I never play anymore due mostly to the craptactular screen. It is impossible to see in the sun and overall just horrible.

I got my DS today from Best Buy with a free copy of Brain Age (with a coupon). I started playing it in the car and had no problems looking at the screen in sunlight. The screen is reallllllly nice. :cool:

Anyone else notice that the bottom screen still has that "wet" or "mushy" look compared to the top screen? I know the original had it, but I read reports from the Japanese release that that problem was fixed. Does anyone else have this issue?

Also, The colors get inverted like an old LCD when you view the image from extreme vertical angles. I could have sworn it wasn't supposed to do that either.

Other than that, i'm loving this thing :)

Liekomg said:
Anyone else notice that the bottom screen still has that "wet" or "mushy" look compared to the top screen? I know the original had it, but I read reports from the Japanese release that that problem was fixed. Does anyone else have this issue?

Also, The colors get inverted like an old LCD when you view the image from extreme vertical angles. I could have sworn it wasn't supposed to do that either.

..its obviously a thicker or different screen due to being a touch screen. I noticed it looks slightly different, but it isnt an "issue".

I got mine yesterday too, along with sonic rush, mario and luigi partners in time, and kirby's touch and go. I was always skeptical of these games but i thought they all looked good. I was definately not going to just play my same games on the new ds, so i decided that a buy 2 get 1 free sale on these games was the perfect opportunity to get them all, and they are awesome! Mario PIT is definately satisfying the need for a good portable RPG, there aren't really any good ones, but this one is really really fun. I'd recommend any of these games.

The Lite is absolutely stunning. Enough can't be said of the increased clarity and brightness of the new screens and the colors pop like nothing I've ever seen. As was posted above the audio is massively improved as well. Overall build quality is excellent - it feels quite solid. One thing I wasn't expecting was the way Nintendo decided to approach the finish of the unit. The glossy sections of the portable are actually encased in a hard clear plastic that thus far seems difficult to scratch. The hinge section and the face of the opened unit are a matte-finish white plastic that will not hold fingerprints at all.

The Lite is as good a update as anyone could hope for. It makes the old unit look like an Edsel.

I wonder if it's worth trading in my nice red DS to EB for $50 and paying an extra $100 (Can) for what is essentially a much nicer-looking, sleeker, brighter version of exactly what I already have.

I sold my old DS to my friend a couple weeks back to buy a DS Lite, but I'm waiting on them to release the Navy Blue one; anyone know when that will be?

BillLeeLee said:
I sold my old DS to my friend a couple weeks back to buy a DS Lite, but I'm waiting on them to release the Navy Blue one; anyone know when that will be?
excellent Questions, though I am more interested in the artic blue.

vortexpud said:
I wonder if it's worth trading in my nice red DS to EB for $50 and paying an extra $100 (Can) for what is essentially a much nicer-looking, sleeker, brighter version of exactly what I already have.
people do it with cars...

Martyr said:
people do it with cars...
...phones, houses, wives / husbands, computer equipment, televisions, furniture, kitchen gear... pretty much everything. :D

JustinSane said:
Do you need to charge it when you first take it out or is it ready to go?
You should charge it before you use it, but I couldn't wait. :D

Didn't seem to have an impact.

No you should not charge it, Its litium Ion, meaning you should drain the battery fully then recharge it fully, then once its charged fully you need to kill it again. This will get the full effect out of the battery and then you may charge it as you like whenever you like.

Scotch77 said:
No you should not charge it, Its litium Ion, meaning you should drain the battery fully then recharge it fully, then once its charged fully you need to kill it again. This will get the full effect out of the battery and then you may charge it as you like whenever you like.

Exactly. If you charge it as soon as you get it, the battery will never be able to reach the full capacity as was intended.

K600 said:
Exactly. If you charge it as soon as you get it, the battery will never be able to reach the full capacity as was intended.

On page 6 the manual says charge the battery before you use it for the first time (paraphrase)

I was definately mistaken then. I can't recall why I was under the impression that li's had to be charged that way.

Liekomg said:

What games are you playing where you need to view them from such an angle, i just had a look and it wasn't inverted untill i was practically looking straight at the top of the ds.

Hyperblau said:
What games are you playing where you need to view them from such an angle, i just had a look and it wasn't inverted untill i was practically looking straight at the top of the ds.

Maybe it's his brother's DS and he only gets to watch. :D

Hyperblau said:

Horizontal angles look pretty good. Looking upward from the bottom causes the screen to look washed out, but its acceptable. However, looking downward from the top causes the screen colors to get inverted. Obviously, no one will be playing like that, but it does happen. I was just curious how this compared to Japan released Lites, since I heard that the Japan PSP's had better screens than the ones released in the US.

Im a EE major, I know what Im talking about, Kill the battery before you charge it. if you want a more technical analysis I can show you exactly why.

Scotch77 said:
Im a EE major, I know what Im talking about, Kill the battery before you charge it. if you want a more technical analysis I can show you exactly why.
go.

I must say 'wow' again for the DS Lite.. excellent gaming platform and the first console that I bought in the last 12 years. I am very, very impressed. Almost beat Mario now. I guess I should finally get my own and have my GF have hers back ;)

Just got my ds lite and I'm stepping up from a gba sp after a brief fling with a psp. All I can say is wow.

<3 Advance Wars with a stylus and Mario Kart

Scotch77 said:

That's cool, but no offense to you, don't you think the company behind the DS Lite also has a few EE's on board? Pff... nah! They hired only PR managers right?

I'm sure these guys are also making it up:http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Sorry, but I hate people who use degrees as blanket statements of authority. If you want to give us the analysis, fine, but saying that you are an EE means nothing to us.

pakotlar said:
Sorry, but I hate people who use degrees as blanket statements of authority. If you want to give us the analysis, fine, but saying that you are an EE means nothing to us.

I have a degree in software engineering. Sure as hell wouldn't want advice from me on software. :D

I gave up and ordered a DS Lite online, despite already having a phat DS. I am a consumer whore. :(

I'll still sell the phat DS on Ebay. :D

pakotlar said:
That's cool, but no offense to you, don't you think the company behind the DS Lite also has a few EE's on board? Pff... nah! They hired only PR managers right?

I'm sure these guys are also making it up:http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

your website is actually pretty wrong, very very wrong. Il get back to this thread as I dont have the time. But I did read that link and laughed the entire way throgh.

Back