The dreaded MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR

clarknova

n00b
I recently built a new PC and I am unfortunatly getting the dreaded "MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR" that I've been reading about. Im hoping maybe someone can tell me what the rest of the parameters of the error mean

MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR (0x00000004,0x805535F0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)

The following are the parts I am running:

PSU: Antec TruePower 550
CPU: AMD X2 4400
MOTHERBOARD: GA-K8N51GMF-9
MEMORY: OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB
VIDEO CARD: eVGA 256-P2-N516-AX

If anyone can interpret the parameters of the machine check error so I can be able to somehow pinpoint which piece of hardware is causing the problem, or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Try downclocking the X2 to low - medium speeds. The machine check error has a correlation to clocking.

-J.

What was the STOP code for that error ?

What are your temps & voltages ?
It could be either bad power or heat causeing it.

Have you run Memtest86, Prime95 & 3dMark to stress test you system ?
I always run those three programs to test a new system I've built is stable.
Start with Memtest, 3 loops with no errors.
Then install OS.
Then Prime 8-24 hours.
Then put a loop of 3dMark ontop of Prime.
If that runs stable then check temps & volts and if everything is ok then call it a stable system.
I then find that most crashs are then caused by bad software, not the hardware.

Luck............ :D

Well it seems it may be the motherboard. Seems I keep stumbling upon alot of posts with people that have that gigabyte motherboard having the MACHINE_CHECK_ERRORS

Here what someone wrote on a newegg review:

Comments: I had the same Machine_Check_Exemptions error when I first ran the m/b in my system. I found that when I lowered the timing on the ram (cntl-F1 in bios to unlock more features) it became stable. I was even able to overclock rock-solid to 230mhz front side bus. Check the Ram timing and lower those values and run ramtest til you find the right setting.

Thing is Im new to this memory timing stuff and currently by default the OCZ Performance runs at a 3-3-8 timing. Im not sure what I should lower the timings to so I can try out what this person suggested on newegg. Any suggestions?

Try the clocking thing yet?

4-4-4-12 would be the worst ever but that's not something you should accept.

-J.

I will be honest with you, please don't get offended. You have narrowed the problem down to the motherboard, right? RMA that thing, and don't ever buy a POS Gigabyte motherboard again!!! If you MUST skimp on the price, MSI is the lowest I would stoop. If you can stretch the budget, ASUS is the way to go. They offer boards ranging from the $100 mark (A8N-E) all the way up to the $250 mark (A8N32-SLI), ALL of them rock solid and most overclock like champs.

GB is not entirely crap. They have made some good stable boards before. Asus had their fair share of issues too like the A8N SLI Premium. Don't be silly. All companies make boo boo's like your misjudgement here. :)

-J.

I was looking to get the ASUS. But after waiting months and one delay after another I went with the Gigabyte since it at least had the 430 chipset. Even now the Asus 6150 board isnt that easy to get. From the intial reviews the only complaint with the board was its lack of overclocking features. There were never any complaints of stability.

If I dont find a fix for this problem in the next week or two I will just look to purchase the Asus board.

I just bought a gigabyte board and had the same thing happen to me. Machine Check Exception. I narrowed down the problem to the board, and so I just went out and got an A8N-SLI ASUS board. Best decision I ever made. I'm not sure what to tell you on this, but I'm thinking its probably the mobo. I had a completely different setup and the same error. I just bought my ASUS today. Easiest and most hassle-free installation I've EVER had with a new mobo.

Back