The "Don't void your security deposit" apartment theater

computerpro3

LightningRod
Well, For the longest time now I've been wanting a home theater. Even when I was living at home, it had always been my goal but the way things worked out it just wasn't possible.
I'm still not "totally done" (I still need a MFW-15 subwoofer and a center speaker stand), but done enough to post pics.

I live in an apartment, so I'm a little worried about the security deposit. But who knows, provided my landlord never comes over for the next year (and some creative spackling) maybe I can get away with it after all!

Equipment:

Optoma HD-65 Projector
Cisco Explorer 8540HDC DVR
Cincinnati Bell Fiber Optic Digital Cable
Marantz SR4003 Receiver
Dantax Vision Two Speakers
HTPC
Monster HTS3500 MK II power conditioner
Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm headphones
Logitech Harmony One remote
DIY 110in screen with 2:40:1 masking panels
Track Lighting
Lutron Maestro IR controlled lighting
APC SmartUPS 2200VA
Blackout blinds on doors (trying to find a good motorized blackout blind for the window)
Logitech DiNovo Edge
Logitech G7

Specs of the HTPC:

Silverstone GD02B-MT
Core i5 overclocked 4ghz
8GB Gskill Ripjaws Ram
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
2x 1.5TB Western Digital Green Drives for 3TB of total storage
ATI Radeon HD5770
9 in one nMedia card reader
Corsair HX620 Modular power supply

Starting out I knew I was going to face several challenges. First of all, while I decided to go ahead and break the apartment rules by ceiling mounting the projector, I had no way of getting the wiring through the walls (about 25ft distance). Second, I decided that I wanted a fixed frame screen for performance and looks, but I wanted to be able to remove it in 10 seconds if the landlord suddenly knocked on the door (why tempt fate more than you have to, right?). Therefore, I would have to build it to be super-lightweight and come up with an easy mounting scheme.

Even from the get-go, I knew that it was going to be impossible to get truly great performance during the day due to the high amount of ambient light. There are french doors directly opposite the screen, and a window in the kitchen. Also, the room is painted in a light color and I didn't want to get into repainting as I'll only be here for another year or two at the absolute most. Therefore, I went for a "make the best of the situation" approach. Also, I'm doing this on a college student piano performance major's budget so I can't get too extravagant.

Unfortunately, I don't have any build pictures. I was too busy and doing everything alone meant I didn't have someone else to take pictures during the process.

The only thing remaining that I really need is a subwoofer and a center channel speaker stand, both of which will be purchased soon.
Before:

f_lfegjvm_5c04729.jpg

Results:

DIY 110in screen

f_2lm5k8e5cs2m_e3635fa.jpg

I made this out of 1x2 strips with heavy duty metal corner braces and Joann Fabrics blackout cloth. I did it this way because it was very lightweight - I managed to make the entire thing under 30lbs which allows it to be hung on a single-nail picture hangar. I can remove it in under 5 seconds if I have to and it doesn't leave any damage on the wall. I ripped up the carpet to hide the speaker wires. The track lighting was installed by me as well (had to rip down the old fan to do it, another mark against my security deposit!) and is hooked up to a Lutron Maestro IR controller.

Masking Panels:

f_v9el4by8nwbm_10343c1.jpg

Made these out of foil backed foam, plastic edging, and black velvet from joann fabrics. Total cost - $30. It's amazing the difference in contrast that you notice when the black bars are gone. I measured them perfectly so they fit solidly with friction alone.

A shot of them installed:

f_w5o0pgb7wlhm_b6de722.jpg

Getting the Cables to the Projector:

f_3fhxo00q11gm_64493b8.jpg

I used cable raceway to solve the problem of not being able to fish the cables through the wall. You can see the raceway going from my equipment rack up to the ceiling mounted projector.

A projector shot:

f_7crf1au0cvm_89c1c90.jpg

Just a standard universal projector mount, it's done a great job so far.

Equipment Rack:

img1904o.jpg

Input Devices:

img1922o.jpg

img1960.jpg

Reciever:

img1917s.jpg

img1935q.jpg

HTPC Shots:

Door closed hiding ports:

img1956gg.jpg

Door Open:

img1957q.jpg

img1939e.jpg

Remote Shot:

f_1lrhx9gphs9m_ad29b7b.jpg

I love this remote with a passion. I control the room lighting, the air conditioning, everything! Set it up so that all lights come on when I hit stop, it dims to favorite setting when I hit pause, and all lights go off when I hit play. Playing around the macros is a lot of fun. And I love the channel icons.

Rear speakers: Again, broke the rules here and mounted two shelves into the walls.

img1965b.jpg

And the best part is, if I want a snack this is only 10 feet away:

f_oajsissm_5663589.jpg

The breakfast bar doubles as great overflow seating for football and baseball games, as well as an awesome place to lay out Nacho's and pizza when I have people over for movie nights.

Will post pics when the subwoofer comes in!

EDIT:

A couple screenshots:

screenshotg.jpg

screenshot2ba.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great. I'm especially impressed with the how well the screen came out considering the materials and cost.

Well done mate, beautiful apartment you've got over there.
I think you can consider making a painting on one of those roll-up screens, so when the landlord comes knocking without you expecting him, roll down the painting over the projector screen. LOL

Landlord: "Oh! What a beautiful landscape you have here, so vivid and full of colors."

Very nice. When you pull the channels for routing cables out it it very well pull the wall with it. You might be able to cut through the adhesive and GooGone to remove the rest. I was not successful in doing this and had to re-texture the wall. Not very difficult though. A can of texture and some artistry it comes out great. My apartment complex doesn't care what I do so long as it is left in the original condition.

That is sexy as hell.

Be careful about playing movies and music loudly with the sub. The landlord may come over because of a complaint, lol.

looks nice, i am impressed the apartment has crown molding......

how far back are you sitting.... @ 110" screen you need to be back around 13-17 feet i think.

i have a 100" in my living room and we sit about 13' back...... does it look huge in that apartment :D

The sofa is 13.4ft away from the screen, which is the proper THX viewing angle for this aspect ratio and distance. As for being huge, it's funny - at first, yes. The first words out of everyone that comes in is "Holy shit, that's a huge TV". But honestly, after a while I'm totally used to it and it seems a bit small!

Threw up a couple of screenshots. Really pleased with the clarity of the image. Don't really feel a need to go 1080p at the time, which surprises me. I figure instead of replacing the bulb on this one, I'll just move to 1080p when it dies.

I figure instead of replacing the bulb on this one, I'll just move to 1080p when it dies.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm doing. Run my 720 until it dies and then look to moving up.

Just pick up a small container of drywall mud to fill in the holes when you decide to move and be sure to take before and after pictures of repairs just in case your landlord decides to be a prick, better safe than sorry.

Very nice. When you pull the channels for routing cables out it it very well pull the wall with it.

Looks very nice and the above issue is the only one I see. I used the same stuff in a previous home and had this issue. was fixable though.

Looking nice.

One suggestion. It would probably look nicer if you added 2 of these TV stands underneath your screen? I was able to fit my Left/right & Center channel speaker in the stand.

That's what I did, I just removed the wheels and put a black curtain to cover the back.

Just a friendly suggestion :cool:

Very well done. Seeing someone innovate with what they have gets me excited to start on my own. Now if only I could find the time between classes and work :p

The sofa is 13.4ft away from the screen, which is the proper THX viewing angle for this aspect ratio and distance. As for being huge, it's funny - at first, yes. The first words out of everyone that comes in is "Holy shit, that's a huge TV". But honestly, after a while I'm totally used to it and it seems a bit small!

Threw up a couple of screenshots. Really pleased with the clarity of the image. Don't really feel a need to go 1080p at the time, which surprises me. I figure instead of replacing the bulb on this one, I'll just move to 1080p when it dies.

Yeah, my wife and I watch all TV/movies and sports on our 100" and it now seems normal...

everyone else is like damn that is huge :D

but mine is in a 800sqft living/dining/kitchen space.... i couldnt imagine bigger in an apartment. would have been great in college :D

I will not be replacing the bulb in my epson 720 HC PJ either.... I will be buying an epson 1080p PJ, whatever is out with a lot of lumens 1800+ when mine dies.....

I only have 800hrs on mine and it is rated for like 3000..... so this will be a while :D

Looking nice.

One suggestion. It would probably look nicer if you added 2 of these TV stands underneath your screen? I was able to fit my Left/right & Center channel speaker in the stand.

That's what I did, I just removed the wheels and put a black curtain to cover the back.

Just a friendly suggestion :cool:

I agree that some furniture would look better there, but honestly I'm a bit hesitant to purchase space-specific furniture considering that I may be moving within 7-8 months or so (and I'll likely be gone for 3 months over the summer). I have horrible neighbors that moved in, which really ruined a nice apartment/good management. I want to try to get out of the ghetto here too, and move to somewhere more upscale.

What's really funny is that there are two primary considerations to where I move:

1. Must have fiber internet
2. Must have space for home theater

Literally, those come before anything else :D

Wow that's some hefty equipment. I use to have a similar setup at a house I was renting except I ran it all in wall. Patched it all up before I moved out and called it a day.

Also what kind of place do you live in that has Lutron lighting control and a window unit for AC?

nice gigantic apc smartups too lol

Back