The Division Beta on a 980 Ti low-ish settings

I've seen worse. Me playing at 4k. Had to lower shadows to low and turn SLI off because I was getting more fps with a single 980Ti.
30-40 fps, crawling. Hopefully they add SLI support so I can enjoy at least 45+ fps at 4k. Fun game, but I'm not sure about content. Dark Zone is more frustrating than fun. You're "kill on sight" as long as you're carrying the little yellow bag.
Black Desert is releasing about the same time (earlier if you preorder), might look into that instead and see the reactions on The Division before I decide to spend any money on it. Let's see if it's another lazy console port.

I think I was running High settings w/ SLI 980ti @ 1440p and getting around 90ish (cant remember well off hand as I was drinking Scotch and playing :D ) and GPU load was around 70-80 percent.

CPU ([email protected]) load @ 100% on all cores...which I googled and seen it has been the same CPU load question since the closed beta ...except 1 guy w/ a i5/i7 6600k/6700k, cant remember which, said he had around 70% load on his GPU. Of course I didnt dig too much deeper though after I read his post.

Majority of the complaints about the CPU load were users with ivy/sandy/devils canyon.

i've never seen any other game do that to my CPU (BF4 at high framerates comes close) and i just can't think of a reason as to why, it can't be intended, there's just no way.

ignoring the weird CPU usage, the GPU performance is really just not good at all. i get higher framerates in BF4 on ultra (2x MSAA), and it absolutely looks a lot better than this game does on low. it also only uses my CPU at around 60%, and there's definitely a lot more going on at any point in time in BF4 than there is in The Division.

hopefully there will be improvements at launch but i'm not holding my breath.

i've never seen any other game do that to my CPU (BF4 at high framerates comes close) and i just can't think of a reason as to why, it can't be intended, there's just no way.

ignoring the weird CPU usage, the GPU performance is really just not good at all. i get higher framerates in BF4 on ultra (2x MSAA), and it absolutely looks a lot better than this game does on low. it also only uses my CPU at around 60%, and there's definitely a lot more going on at any point in time in BF4 than there is in The Division.

hopefully there will be improvements at launch but i'm not holding my breath.

It's also a single map vs the whole world. But great comparison? 1440p and 4K are really demanding resolutions. What kind of FPS are 980ti users expecting on next gen games? 140+ FPS?

I was getting 30-50fps with my 980GTX @ 3440x1440. I didn't look at the graphics settings so not sure what was what but it looked good and played pretty decent.
not sure if I'll get the game as I don't really care for over the shoulder shooters.

the division desk.jpg

It's also a single map vs the whole world. But great comparison? 1440p and 4K are really demanding resolutions. What kind of FPS are 980ti users expecting on next gen games? 140+ FPS?
a single map that's probably just about as big as The Division's with much longer view distances and many more players? and i dunno, i assume playing a game on fucking low (which looks like total shit by the way) with the fastest graphics card on the market would prevent my framerate from dropping into the 70s, but i guess that's too much to ask? not to mention the game stutters every few steps, and yes, it's on an SSD.

i even tried it at 1080p and my framerate in some areas still dropped into the 80s.

edit: i turned off shadowplay and my framerate seems to be around 10 higher on average and the constant stuttering every few feet is gone.

Last edited:
a single map that's probably just about as big as The Division's with much longer view distances and many more players? and i dunno, i assume playing a game on fucking low (which looks like total shit by the way) with the fastest graphics card on the market would prevent my framerate from dropping into the 70s, but i guess that's too much to ask? not to mention the game stutters every few steps, and yes, it's on an SSD.

i even tried it at 1080p and my framerate in some areas still dropped into the 80s.

edit: i turned off shadowplay and my framerate seems to be around 10 higher on average and the constant stuttering every few feet is gone.

On AMD cards when we saturate the GPU with a demanding load it makes the VCE encoder, AMD equivalent of NVENC, stutter and skip. Luckily it only affects the video output of the recording; not the game play for me. I'm no longer ruling out monitors that sub 120Hz now. It doesn't really make sense to invest into a dream that only occurs on lower settings or mGPU in the most demanding games.

Well, March is just around the corner, and I am going to spend €100 on Black Desert instead of spending €100 on The Division. Simple reason is because Black Desert is way prettier, better optimized with SLI and is a fucking PC game. I don't support lazy console ports.

Wow...watching your cpu usage....I have never seen a fps game to date use that amount of cpu (on that many cores)

I never saw any FPS dips or shuttering. Was not running max settings tho. Using a 6600k OCed and single 970.

Hmm, I thought the open beta looked and ran pretty well. I ran it pretty much maxed out at 1920x1200 (vsync off, AA medium and I think shadows medium or high -- can't recall exact settings) and would get 45-50fps on average, no real dips below 40 and it would be 60ish indoors. I play a lot of BF4 and I would say the visual fidelity in The Division is higher. Config is 3770K @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3, GTX 970 @ 1354MHz core.

I enjoyed it, not going to pay $80CAD for it, but I'll buy it on first sale if the population is doing well.

Edit: should add the newest NV drivers boosted performance significantly for me in this game. I was previously running the mid-December drivers.

I was getting 56-70 fps using a gtx 980ti and an overclocked 2500k @ 1440p. It was a mixture between ultra and high preset. My brother with a gtx 970 and an overclocked 2500k @ 1080p high preset was getting 70fps-ish.

Back