The difference? Hyper-V in Win 10 and Hyper-V server 2016...

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by MrGuvernment, Jun 4, 2017.

1. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment Pick your own.....you deserve it.

I have found myself in a situation that is just frustrating me at this point and i want to move on and just have a system that bloody works!

Got a system built from Natex combo:

• Intel S2600CP board
    • 2 x E5 2670 v2
    • 128G ECC Reg DDR3

and other goodies. (RX 550 / SSD's / 4x 2TB Toshiba drives / LSI 9240-8i)

The original plan was to do GPU pass though using ESXi and visualize my home main rig and then also have a nice lab to play around in since I.T is my job, but, ESXi 6.5.0 (upto d release) is so flaky for pass through it just annoyed me. I recently bought a RX 550 as I was informed that AMD fixed their power issues and the card would stop freezing ESXi on reboot , but that is not the case, still freezes and crashes ESXi upon restarting or even doing a shutdown of the OS, not something I want to have to deal with. Even passing through QLogic Dell branded dual port NIC's cause ESXi to hard freeze and reboot.

Didn't want to user Hyper-V because RemoteFX was not what i was looking for, i wanted as close to bare metal performance as possible, as well MS has not yet implemented USB pass through and I didn't want to spend money on dongles and more gear.

XenServer does not do USB pass through either...

unRaid - had never used it and wanted to use ESXi or Hyper-V as that is what i use at work and wanted to use it as the base for my home lab, as well coughing up $60 for a hyper-visor wasn't in my plans and that also limits me to 6 storage devices and I have 9 right now.

So with that, AMD wont let you install their full software suites under Windows Server and I have tried my darndess to get it to install, I can get the base drivers installed fine, but nothing else beyond that.

Main question then is, what is the difference between running Hyper-V from Windows 10 Ent. vs running Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V installed? Features that I would lose out on, if any?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. Child of Wonder

Child of Wonder 2[H]4U

Lack of remote Hyper-V management (you'll have to RDP into the Windows 10 box to get to Hyper-V manager) and clustering are the big ones. Other than that I don't think there's a difference.

3. MrGuvernment

I could live with that. Would Hyper-V and VMs still run after the user in Windows 10 logs off?

I may just install Win 10 Ent. on this server and use it as day to day and run the VM's via Hyper-V in Windows 10 instead of dealing with all the headaches is my thought

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. MrGuvernment

Came across this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/about/

Differences between Hyper-V on Windows and Hyper-V on Windows Server
    There are some features that work differently in Hyper-V on Windows than they do in Hyper-V running on Windows Server.

The memory management model is different for Hyper-V on Windows. On a server, Hyper-V memory is managed with the assumption that only the virtual machines are running on the server. In Hyper-V on Windows, memory is managed with the expectation that most client machines are running software on host in addition to running virtual machines. For example, a developer might be running Visual Studio as well as several virtual machines on the same computer.

There are some features included in Hyper-V on Windows Server that are not included in Hyper-V on Windows. These include:

• Virtualizing GPUs using RemoteFX
    • Live migration of virtual machines from one host to another
    • Hyper-V Replica
    • Virtual Fiber Channel
    • SR-IOV networking
    • Shared .VHDX

Xinmosni likes this.
  5. Hagrid

Hagrid Gay for Kyle Fanclub President

Use ESXI 5.5?