• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Eagle156

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
2,242
I'm having trouble installing a PCI wireless card, TP-Link WN851N. When I install the drivers I get the device manager error, "The Device Cannot Start (Code 10)," so I can't connect to any network. I'm using Windows XP SP3 32bit.

I've tried the following:
Uninstalling drivers and reinstalling
Uninstalling the device from driver manager
Installing new drivers
Installing new drivers with windows "new device has been found" utility
Moving the card to 3 different PCI slots
Removing all other PCI cards (sound card)

One curious thing, when I try to install the new drivers I downloaded, I first have to uninstall the previous drivers, and it uninstalls them for a while and seems to have uninstalled them, but at the end it gives a message: "The driver files you wish to remove will not be removed as the corresponding card is not inserted."

Is there any way to check if the actual card could be damaged? I assume that since it is being recognized by windows in some way that it's working, and is having some kind of conflict which I do not know how fix, but the status LED's on the card itself are not working.
 
Did you install the utility & driver or just the driver?
 
You've done most of what I would try. Do you have another computer you can try it in? Just want to eliminate anything related to your specific setup.
 
Remove the card and uninstall the drivers. Re-install drivers, reboot and put the card in.
 
i put it in another computer, it didn't even recognize it. no new device has been found window, nothing. well i suppose RMA'ing is easier than fuking around with IRQs and all that.
 
Back
Top